Does cycling feel more dangerous?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Does cycling feel more dangerous?

Post by MikeF »

1982john wrote:
By narrow I mean two cars would not pass if one didnt make an effort to move. I might try your system it feels risky tho if they dont see you?

If drivers think there is enough room they will squeeze past you. If they can't get by then only a mad person would run into you. I'm not saying you should necessarily deliberately hold them up, but if the road is too narrow then they shouldn't be passing. The problem is bikes are human powered and if you've just come back to cycling, I think it's more difficult. You're struggling with weaker muscles and lack of confidence. Around here I find many motorists are quite considerate.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm going to make a pedantic comment here - Cycling isn't at all dangerous.

The actions of a small, but significant, number of road users is dangerous to cyclists.

And yes, for me, it does seem to be getting worse.

Used to be that drivers were indifferent. My perception now is that fewer drivers are indifferent, more are downright considerate and careful - but that highlights those that are inconsiderate/downright bullish.

And like the OP I feel that every ride, even when most of it is on cyclepaths, has more than its share of close passes.

Having said that, its after an accident a couple of years back that I really began to notice the problem (so perception affected by that maybe).

On the other hand, my return trip back from Earlswood to Rednal which I used to do most Sunday mornings is one I now rarely do, since each of my routes back have a section that has become hazardous. Last week I capitulated and simply got off and walked up the pavement along the steep uphill bit back throuh Barnt Green, but at least I enjoyed the trip - 4 months after the last time, when I was scared witless by overtakers on that stretch.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

rmurphy195 wrote:I'm going to make a pedantic comment here - Cycling isn't at all dangerous.

The actions of a small, but significant, number of road users is dangerous to cyclists.

And yes, for me, it does seem to be getting worse.

Used to be that drivers were indifferent. My perception now is that fewer drivers are indifferent, more are downright considerate and careful - but that highlights those that are inconsiderate/downright bullish.

And like the OP I feel that every ride, even when most of it is on cyclepaths, has more than its share of close passes.

Having said that, its after an accident a couple of years back that I really began to notice the problem (so perception affected by that maybe).

On the other hand, my return trip back from Earlswood to Rednal which I used to do most Sunday mornings is one I now rarely do, since each of my routes back have a section that has become hazardous. Last week I capitulated and simply got off and walked up the pavement along the steep uphill bit back throuh Barnt Green, but at least I enjoyed the trip - 4 months after the last time, when I was scared witless by overtakers on that stretch.

So for you cycling 'feels more dangerous'?

I would say cycling feels more dangerous to me and that's because of that significant number of drivers who seem to go out of their way to make my life as a cyclist more hazadous and less relaxing,close passing being the number one concern for me.
The idiotic/lunatic antics of drivers isn't confined just to when I'm cycling but also when driving my car especially on motorways the worst of it is that it's so mindless in that there's no gain for the drivers involved but seems to be a game they play out on the roads with their's and other people's lives for their own twisted satisfaction
I put it down to a diminished responsibility bought about to a lack of accountability,due to a total absence of effective policing on the roads,where motorists are left to just get on with it and where little is done unless there's a crash,and even then if no one is seriously injured,such is the lack of police time given to anything motoring related,its left to the insurance companies to sort out :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Although I have cycled little in the UK in the last few years, it seems to me that there is a general trend of improvement, but at the same time, a small minority of drivers are both worse and bolder about it. This, I put down to the reduction in roads policing. These drivers who either think they are too skilled and impotant to follow rules, or just don't care about taking risks with others' lives, would once have been somewhat cautious about getting caught. They have realized there is now little risk of that, and do as they like. Because others have improved, the contrast is that much worse.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Although I have cycled little in the UK in the last few years, it seems to me that there is a general trend of improvement, but at the same time, a small minority of drivers are both worse and bolder about it. This, I put down to the reduction in roads policing. These drivers who either think they are too skilled and impotant to follow rules, or just don't care about taking risks with others' lives, would once have been somewhat cautious about getting caught. They have realized there is now little risk of that, and do as they like. Because others have improved, the contrast is that much worse.

The problem is the majority have always been good drivers who generally treat cyclists well and with courtesy.
The element of bad drivers however is growing,likewise the element of deliberately menacing and bullying drivers who think they have more right to the roads than cyclists are also growing if my experience is anything to go by,and I agree that's for the reasons you give,a total lack of effective policing.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

1982john wrote:I've been trying to get back into cycling after taking it very easy for a few years but it feels like to me things have gotten worse on the roads......I realise this all anecdotal but wondering if others have had similar feelings?

Given that Chris Boardman recently published an article in a national newspaper not so long ago on basically the same issue I can assure you that you are not alone in feeling how you do.

I'm sure that the roads you ride will greatly affect your experience, and this can be especially important where there are important links which have become intolerable for cycling. Personally I find that I always plan my routes for minimising traffic regardless of the time of day or week these days, but didn't tend to feel it necessary a few years ago.