Overcommuting...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Overcommuting...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Don't do 'training' but that also means very little in the way of 'rest' days...

Been doing a fair amount of gardening etc at the weekends, which reduces that even further...

Currently pretty tired in general, and can feel my legs a lot more than I used too...
But I'm still due in the office so a week 'off' doesn't really work...

Can 7.5 hours/week really hit 'overtraining'. Or am I just having a bluergh month...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Overcommuting...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I do about 8hrs or so, some weeks are better than others.
Gardening will make you ache, or are you getting old :mrgreen:
Wait till you hit 50 :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Gardening will make you ache, or are you getting old :mrgreen:

Gardening does more than that - I managed to pull/tear a whole set of chest muscles pulling one particular root. Who would have thought that my legs were stronger than the rest of me...

I also have a chronic health condition which does make some months less good than others, but age is always a possibility...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Your doctor will say what did you do different :)
Like the last time I visited.
I can cycle but weight bearing will get worse with age.
I can ride 70 miles in training and feel good but a 5 mile walk over the moors at the weekend crucifies me, and I used to walk up to 45 miles with a heavy sack.

If we were all landscape gardeners / farm labourers we would be OK.

Weight bearing I think is the key here, cycling is not, and yours is armchair with pedals :mrgreen:

Saw an discarded exercise machine at tip the other day pedals and laid back chair....not a good idea except for lazy people .........a stepper with arms (ski machine) is what is needed for you and me, had one but it was defective so wasted £20, I need another one, the ski type work will give you the robustness not found in cycling?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Commuting can often to start to feel a chore at this time of year. early morning the muscles take longer to warm up, evening are starting to get darker.
You can try deliberately riding slower on a couple of days taking it easy, I often end up riding harder when I try this. not the right outcome. , and making sure you warm up longer so lower gears and spin.

Make sure your wardrobe is appropriate for autumn as well. you don't want to be in Summer wear, but winter clothing isn't appropriate either.

NUKe

Post by eileithyia »

if it's any help, I had a great short training session on Tues, later that day i felt tired and drained (put it down to some emotional stuff going on that afternoon) as evening progressed throat felt dry and gruff, since then have felt tired and drained, nothing specific I can put my finger on. Don't have a sore throat as such, but it continues to feel dry and slightly uncomfortable.
Could just be a low grade virus going around.... combined with weather change?
Sat here now I just want to sleep and not be bothered doing anything.
Also started to hit the Vit C, Zinc and Echinacea....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Getting enough sleep? I often feel like that if I short myself on sleep, even just a little. I really need more than 7 hours each night. I'm okay if I get less for one or two nights, but I sometimes find that I'm dragging a bit, and realise that I haven't had enough sleep for several nights.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yeah - I'm not really convinced by the age argument - I'm not nearly old enough for that yet...

I'm not intending to add other exercise into my already busy schedule, my weight bearing is generally kid related, and they keep getting heavier ;)

Clothing has changed in the last couple of weeks - the long sleeved T shirts have come out of hiding a few times, and I've even been wearing gloves. Long legs have also made an appearance.

Sleep is almost one of the symptoms at the moment - I am not getting to sleep as easily as I normally do, neither am I sleeping to the alarm clock, so I am undoubtedly in need of a bit more shut eye - but since my body won't take it when it's on offer...

Weight bearing I think is the key here, cycling is not, and yours is armchair with pedals :mrgreen:

There's another way of doing this? I'll stick to the arm chair ;)

I just looked back at my ride logs from the dreaded S...
At the start of the year my 4 week rolling average speed was 15.3mph, it's now 18+mph. Partly that is because I have been able to use the raptobike a fair amount over the last month, but it's also a reflection of my fitness having built during the year (I changed jobs and cycled a couple of weeks in December, but previous to that I'd been rather idle for 9 months). I see no 'single week' correlation between distance and speed, rather the speed has increased gradually through the year...

Might start hitting the drugs again though - not a bad call...
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Its never so simple as to point to one thing, but commuting five days used to drag me down.
Lately three days a week and the last ride I am normally feeling it.

But in the Veulta one of ITV4 team asked................not sure who, could have been Millar as to why one day the Dream Team hammed themselves........IIRC it was either doing the TT (long), a support bod (for Froomey) went all out and was questioned as to why, Millar replied its to zip you up a bit.

I will admit I am no dream team rider but I only need 3 - 3.5 hrs sleep for last 2 years and when I in my youth and later in life on a lead into an event my appetite for exercise would increase day on day.....................this week I have managed three days training and feel like another run tomorrow.................I am not suffering the gradual slow down at end of week but there again I am not commuting just picking my days when I feel OK.
So commuting if that's what you are doing? (not sure from your OP) leaving no rest days is a recipe for that slug feeling.

If I feel good tomorrow then I will be off for a long ride soon (not sure that's a good idea as I might just suffer like last year dropping off a cliff after about ten hours :( )

Sometimes its just a frame of mind even someone saying anything I find turns a switch and perks me up.
That is the problem though , commuting very often drags you down towards the end of the week because there is no quality recovery, even doing less days if you are generally fit enough would be an advantage to your confidence.

To test your fitness take four days off riding then go full blast, If you feel good then there's your answer, works for me, but not the day after family gymnastics with the diddys / pulling up dandelions :mrgreen:
Commute three days only if the weekends full.

Someone I used to work with someone who had run 100 marathons or so.............he trained every day and his best half marathon was two minutes quicker than me...........even though I ran the course with 1:6 hills, he on the flat...............in a marathon my half was far quicker by over 1.5 miles in same time than him!

I only did once fit, three six mile weekly runs, I would never expect to feel OK or even perform well aiding confidence (that's a boost for general well being which is sort of psychological) doing five continuous days, unless you are sub 23.

So I get out of the chair after typing this and my legs ache..............one hour into ride tomorrow morning and the pain will have gone.

What you have we all get and when I am there I keep my head down and tell myself there will be better days, there always is and if not then we loose interest and give up.

Your not on meds are you?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When I am fatigued, I try to change the s e q u e n c e of my activities, for example do the shopping before work (the stores are not so busy then) or go for a walk or cycle after supper, then straight to bed

Been getting up about 5oo lately, enjoying the gloaming, but Saturday I get up three hours later, that can not be right. Experts advise: one should try to get up about the same time every day

One big cause is: we work too much :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Four in six training days this week, and I still feel ok, alarm goes off at 05.05am, 11hrs in all.
Though I am not having to work at all, be different then.
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

When I commuted 5 days, it was 120 miles per week with c. 6,000 feet of climbing. 10 hours of cycling. Certainly manageable, but by Thursday/Friday I used to feel deep fatigue. And had no energy to do anything else. Now I commute 2 or 3 times a week and get 3 gym sessions in. I feel less tired as the gym allows me to do different exercises so not exhausting the same muscles.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When I am fatigued, I try to change the s e q u e n c e of my activities, for example do the shopping before work (the stores are not so busy then) or go for a walk or cycle after supper, then straight to bed

Been getting up about 5oo lately, enjoying the gloaming, but Saturday I get up three hours later, that can not be right. Experts advise: one should try to get up about the same time every day

One big cause is: we work too much :(

Problem is that I have to cycle to work before I work, and then ride home before I do anything else...
Can't really vary that...

OTOH I am feeling less wiped out at the moment, maybe I was just fighting something off...