Just why can't drivers...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Just why can't drivers...

Post by Cyril Haearn »

meic wrote:I drove back on the A40 today, which was all single carriageway and i was halfway down a tailback behind a HGV which nobody could pass.
I played the game of anticipation, to avoid ever having to touch the brakes and minimise the accelerator.
This often meant allowing a gap of 500 metres to grow between me and the car in front so that I didnt have to brake when the tailback reached a hill/roundabout etc.
You can imagine how this gap drove some cars to insanity and how they had to do a manic overtake to get from my bumper driving smoothly to the bumper of the oscillating car in front of me so they could use up lots of fuel braking and accelerating all the time.

500 meters? Sounds a lot maybe?

+1 for leaving big gaps and driving in a *relaxed* way, I do that too, it really infuriates normal drivers who cross unbroken lines to get by, we meet up again at the lights

Would be good if the *insanity* could be clinically proven, these idiots probably *think* we want to provoke them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

At times it was that far.

The HGV has a lower speed limit and it was hilly. I could roll down the hills (naughtily coasting) at 60 mph then allow my space to regrow when going up the hill.
Meanwhile all the cars infront of me were concertina-ing behind the HGV but out of phase, using plentiful brakes and accelerator.
A few cars overtook me to join that concertina, it had negligible effect on my overall progress and I was maintaining in excess of 60mpg. We all got to the dual carriageway at the same time.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

meic wrote:I drove back on the A40 today, which was all single carriageway and i was halfway down a tailback behind a HGV which nobody could pass.
I played the game of anticipation, to avoid ever having to touch the brakes and minimise the accelerator.
This often meant allowing a gap of 500 metres to grow between me and the car in front so that I didnt have to brake when the tailback reached a hill/roundabout etc.
You can imagine how this gap drove some cars to insanity and how they had to do a manic overtake to get from my bumper driving smoothly to the bumper of the oscillating car in front of me so they could use up lots of fuel braking and accelerating all the time.

I do that sort of smoothing too and failed a driving test for it, aka "not making progress" for incidents including decelerating when I was fairly sure that the car two in front was shaping up to make an unsignalled tight left turn towards a hotel - our driving test rewards riding on the lower limit of stopping distance, not anticipation.

I still do it, though. It's far less stressful (except for the occasional idiot cutting in after a stupid and usually illegal overtake), cheaper and, as mentioned, I get to the multilane sections within seconds of the crazy overtakers.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Username

Post by Username »

Its because motoring itself makes people doolali. It drives me nuts anyway, makes me wish everyone was dead, so frustrating.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Tizme wrote:Second one, climbing through a local village (with a 20mph speed limit) driver revving and pushing to pass, eventually forcing me over to let him passed, only to have to stop 10 seconds later to join the queue of traffic that could be clearly seen when he was getting huffy. As I passed I leant over and said, "was it really worth the effort?" and then went on passed the queue (stuck waiting for someone to reverse[badly] in to a parking slot).

I see this almost every day and take great pleasure in passing the numpties.....
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

AlaninWales wrote:Time for this again, I believe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0ZgiVicpZGk

No change there then.....