Route Advice, Bordesley Circus, Birmingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

Re: Route Advice, Bordesley Circus, Birmingham

Post by Si »

If in doubt you could always use the underpasses.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I went through Bordesley Circus three times last weekend. Once on the way in to Birmingham, once when attempting to leave Birmingham, and once more after I doubled back after taking the wrong road from the roundabout during my first attempt to leave Birmingham.

I personally would not cycle through that roundabout. I used the pedestrian crossings all three times. My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Bordesley Circus is exactly the kind of place where you risk being squished by (as someone said previously) cars that overtake you then turn off the roundabout. Other problems can be if you have right of way because you're on the roundabout but cars decide to push in front of you from roads, etc.

When using smaller less busy roundabouts I still try to be assertive, speed up to be closer in speed to the cars, and to clearly signal where I am going. But, I don't do that for anything of the scale of Bordesley Circus unless the roads are pretty much deserted. Other cyclists are much more bold than me, but my mind boggles at the thought of trying to use Bordesley Circus during standard commuting times/rush hour.

I didn't spot the underpasses that Si mentions, and will look for them next time I'm there. Are these underpasses where you have to hold your nose when you go through them?
Si

Post by Si »

Are these underpasses where you have to hold your nose when you go through them?

thats most of brum at the moment!

Havent been down them for ages but i think they were ok
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:
Are these underpasses where you have to hold your nose when you go through them?

thats most of brum at the moment!

Havent been down them for ages but i think they were ok

Are they a recent addition? I don't remember them at that junction - there's canal ones nearby.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

Actually I may have been thinking of the wrong roundabout! When I'm crossing that one I tend to use the cyclists crossing on the Watery Lane Middleway and then turn right to come out on the Coventry Rd next to the Blues ground. I think that Bordesely has a load of pelicans around it which may or may not have been converted to toucans....so difficult to keep up these days!

If coming from SW possibly you could use Moseley, Warner, Warwick, Ulster, Aderley, coventry. Or down through Sparkbrook and up golden Hillock to get to the Coventry Rd.
GasPipeWarrior

Post by GasPipeWarrior »

Not knowing where you're starting from, but I suggest Highgate Road - Walford Road - Golden Hillock Road - Poets Corner - Golden Hillock Road. Option of going through streets off Walford Road towards Small Heath Bridge if Poets Corner is too daunting.

I have occasionally ridden homeward across Poets Corner heading towards Sparkbrook. Crossing the island was okay due to heavy flows of traffic continuing along Golden Hillock Road in both directions which regulated traffic on the A45. I found the traffic island with the A41 more daunting - due to traffic seeking to race across from the single lane stretch into the dual carriageway.

Taking a right turn at Bordesley Circus looks a bit daunting - three fast roads converging on the junction with drivers looking for the next available gap to squeeze into. Not sure whether the improvements have done much to make it safer.