Cycle Parking Would you pay?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NUKe

Cycle Parking Would you pay?

Post by NUKe »

I have began to wonder if in larger cities Would people pay for secure cycle parking and if so how much. You see in places like Japan and Scandinavia< automatic parting Such has the bike trees . You also the thieves who turn up tooled to steal bikes. In London there are gym's where you can leave your bike through the day, they also provide showers.
But how much would you be prepared to pay to store your bike, for the piece of mind of knowing it is safe. either per day or as subscription.
NUKe

Re: Cycle Parking Would you pay?

Post by Vorpal »

In the area of Norway where I live, larger rail stations, and some smaller ones, have 'sykkelhoteller' (cycle hotels) which are secure, locked storage for bikes and trailers, with free charge points for electric pedal cycles. They cost 50 kr. (about £5) per month. Once one subscribes in a particular town, they can use any cycle hotel in that town.

I only use the train sporadically, so I haven't subscribed, but if I commuted by train everyday, I would. They appear to be well used.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mixed experience, although I'd personally be reluctant to pay. Having said that, in the days of staffed railway left luggages offices, I have occasionally paid to leave my bike, usually when I wasn't travelling by train.

There's this is Leeds but I've no experience.

http://cyclepoint.org/secure_parking.html

We have had free cycle lockers(provide your own lock) in plenty of locations with mixed results such as people leaving bikes long-term or storing other stuff. I'm no longer involved in campaigning so I can't say much about the current situation.
PH

Post by PH »

Yes, and a few cities already offer this, I've used those in Leeds (Opposite the train station EDIT - I think it's the one linked to above) and Leicester (Under the town hall, in the centre of the city EDIT https://www.leicester.gov.uk/transport- ... le-storage) Can't remember the costs but both around a quid, though I wasn't using either for more than a couple of hours.
Derby has one that's free, though the hours were reduced when the cafe and bike shop within it closed. It's now less likely to be open at the times when I'd use it, so now the choice is to leave a bike in town or use the bus for £4.20, I'll do the latter if I'm going to leave the bike for several hours so a couple of quid for secure parking would be good value.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'd pay as an occasional thing but I doubt it would be enough to make it worthwhile. Generally, my alternative to a lack of conveniently-located safe/secure cycle parking is either to take a folding bike in with me (typically London and Cambridge) or not to visit there.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Don't many Flemish and Dutch cities offer free secure bicycle parking aka fiestenstalling? How about subsidising it by charging motorists for the High Costs of Free Parking? :twisted:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Cycle lockers ae £10.00 a month in Cambridge https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/cycle-parks
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

A sad reflection on how society has changed. :( 50 years ago I would leave my cycle anywhere, maybe even propped against a kerb by its pedal. :lol:, but perhaps not for a long time. So would many other people. Similarly cycles at school nearly all unlocked and left all day. Nobody even considered they would be stolen. Some Raleigh bikes and maybe others had steering locks, but otherwise secure locks weren't used.

Charging for cycle parking might discourage those who may be considering using a cycle rather than car. Too often cycling is approached by a car mentality by those who don't cycle, and that's most councillors/politicians. Therefore a "danger" is that councillors might view it as yet another income source like car park charges.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I know railway stations are well catered for, that said are local one has a waiting list and its not possible to use for occasional use. The question was would you be prepared to pay if the option was available, and if so how much.
NUKe

Post by Cunobelin »

I do.......

£2 per month for this secure locker:

rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

How else would you expect the cost of providing and maintaining secure lockers etc. to be met?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I remember cycling to Brighton in 1955. On the front there was a cycle storage- basically a cage containing the bikes.
This was presided over by a man who issued tickets - one for the bike and one for the cyclist.
One presented the ticket for return of the bike.
The fee was quite small but with sufficient numbers using it I suppose it paid for itself - at least in good weather :)
meic

Post by meic »

rmurphy195 wrote:How else would you expect the cost of providing and maintaining secure lockers etc. to be met?

Councils often provide free parking spaces for cars, (as do hospitals around here :mrgreen: .)
They also provided free cycle parking spaces which were not cheap but are totally useless, despite the great expense of them.
I can even think of some cycle lockers in one place near the Revenue buildings (edit it is on their property but a cycle path goes past them which fooled me to think it was public land) but not on their property, I have no idea who they belong to or who can use them, except to say I certainly can not because my frame would not fit in, even without the handlebars attached!
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

NUKe wrote:The question was would you be prepared to pay if the option was available, and if so how much.

Yes.
Probably a quid or so for an hour, £3 for the day, cheaper if I was a regular user.
For that I would expect it to be completely secure storage for both bike and kit, with the organisers taking responsibility in any failure of that security.
IMO that level of security means somewhere staffed, rather than cages or lockers. I don't know the economies of such enterprises, but I expect they're only viable if combined with something else. I don't expect my cycle storage to be subsidised and I'd like to see the end of subsidised car parking.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Cycle parking in Leicester at 'The Bike Park' is 50p for less than an hour, or £1 all day.

I must admit that I typically lock my bike up outside, but my partner prefers to pay to park hers. Normally I'm riding my commuter single-speed which was a cheap bike in the first place. I have an expensive ABUS lock provided by my work. So, I don't see £1 for the additional security worth it.

My partner isn't concerned at the value of her bike (second hand ladies Giant bike), but is more worried about the inconvenience of having hers stolen.

If I find I've cycled in and forgotten my lock, then into the bike park it goes.

My better bike isn't used much around town, but if I'm leaving it for a long while will sometimes pay to park.

Back (finally) to the question. I will sometimes pay £1 for all day. £3 sounds like quite a lot. I know where I can park a car all day for less than that.