Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Goosey

Re: Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Post by Goosey »

Last week on a ride to Confrides in the mountains outside Alicante, Spain. Tough but satisfying :) There's my brother on a corner...
Middle of the road

Re: Your Favourite Ride of Summer 2017

Post by Middle of the road »

I've stretched the definition of Summer to include the month of May. That way I can post a photo of the day that my wife and I enjoyed cycling on the west coast of South Uist in early May this year. (Photo of the track on the west side of the machair). We had stunning weather for the whole 3 weeks trip to the Outer and Inner Hebrides and many memorable days. This one was extra special in that we were nearly taken out by a low gliding Sea Eagle as we cycled on the B888 near Garrynamonie. It swooped in over a field to our left and as I saw it I slammed on the brakes. Unfortunately, Ruth also turned her head to look at the bird and we collided, ending up in a heap on the grass verge! Still, it was well worth seeing this massive bird of prey. It appeared to be as wide as me with outstretched arms.

The bird glided effortlessly over us, within 20 feet of where we were lying on the ground then soared up and flew in an easterly direction.

Earlier in the ride we had sat at Eriskay harbour watching a Golden Eagle get mobbed by crows as it circled over the north facing slopes of Ben Sgiathan.
South Uist Machair cycling day - May 2017.jpg