A369 Cycle Path between Abbots Leigh and Bristol

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

A369 Cycle Path between Abbots Leigh and Bristol

Post by brooksby »

For those to whom this is of interest, I've had the following from North Somerset council relating to the section of the cycle path which goes along from The Warren to Beggar Bush Lane (past the Clifton Sports Club). I'd asked North Somerset about a load of "temporary" spray painted signs which had appeared, and which seemed to herald changes to the priority as regards cars coming in and out of CSC.

We put together a package of work to essentially complete (pending any opportunities for future improvements the Pill to Bristol section of our Portishead to Bristol route. As you will have seen, new directional signs are also going up (don’t worry if you see some are pointing the wrong direction! These are being corrected).

The basis behind the ‘Slow’ and ‘Give Way’ white lining is as follows:

‘Slow’ is being used where there is an entrance / exit across the path. At these the priority remains the same. At most of these visibility is very limited and we would  advise cyclists exercise slow and caution when crossing. I frequently cycle this way myself and don’t feel comfortable riding more than about 10mph across these. It’s all very well to be travelling quicker and be ‘in the right’ if you hit an emerging car, but it still hurts just as much! Additional cycle symbols are being used to emphasise to drivers that it is a cycle route and to look out for cyclists.

‘Give Way’ us being used where there is an entrance / exit with existing tactile pathing. Tactile pathing is used where there is an expectation to give way. For clarity for all we decided it was best to use ‘Give Way’ here so as to avoid a confused message. We do not have the resources to dig up the existing tactiles and doing so in any case may have needed more signing to advise of the change.