Plans for CS9 Superhighway

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Plans for CS9 Superhighway

Post by MikeF »

TfL has announced plans for CS9 in West London. Not an area I know. Seems to be the first thing Sadiq Khan has done for cycling whilst in office.
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/cs9/user_uploads/cs9-overview-map-chiswick-brentford.pdf
https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/cs9/?cid=cs9
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Re: Plans for CS9 Superhighway

Post by mjr »

It's slightly better than that PDF map makes it look, as the proposal does actually continue east as far as Olympia, from where you can either use the quieter side streets from Russell Road or endure a bit of High Street Kensington to get to Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park and CS3 (aka new E-W superhighway). Here's a wider-area map:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Pity that Khan hasn't arm twisted Kensington and Chelsea council to allow the route to continue to join up with the E-W superhighway. He must have some leverage if he really wanted to be awkward. :twisted:
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

PRL wrote:Pity that Khan hasn't arm twisted Kensington and Chelsea council to allow the route to continue to join up with the E-W superhighway. He must have some leverage if he really wanted to be awkward. :twisted:

They probably don't want "proles " on bikes riding through their borough.
ArMoRothair

Post by ArMoRothair »

ANTONISH wrote:They probably don't want "proles " on bikes riding through their borough.

They certainly don't. The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, and The Royal Parks, constantly try to outdo each other so see which of them can be the most anti-cycling. The City of Westminster has form on this too and occasionally steals their thunder.

Surely the whole reason to devolve transport policy to the mayor's office was to give him the power to knock their heads together. What a shameful state of affairs.
PRL

Post by PRL »

Looking at the plans it doesn't look too bad with the exception of the Kew Bridge junction which seems highly under engineered.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I use this exact route regularly as the most direct way from central London onto the A4 for travel eastwards. It tends to be in the early hours so not really an issue with traffic for me but a cycle superhighway would certainly make it more appealing to others, especially at peak times.