Bike stolen and retrieved - extraordinary day!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Bike stolen and retrieved - extraordinary day!

Post by 661-Pete »

This will be a long post - please bear with me!

I suppose all cyclists have to live with the fear of their precious mount being stolen - no matter how assiduously they take security measures, how carefully they lock up.

What I didn't expect, was for my bike to be nicked off a train, almost under my very nose!

I'd boarded a train to Eastbourne this morning, and put my road bike in the door bay on the right-hand side, since all the platforms at the next few stops would be on the left. I then sat two rows away, but facing away from the door bay, because all the seats were aligned that way, bus-style (this is increasingly common in railway carriages). A mistake I won't make again!

At the next stop, Plumpton (a fairly out-of-the way place near Lewes), I gave a quick glance back to make sure the bike was OK as the train came to a halt. But I didn't look back again until the doors closed and the train started to move. No bike! At first I thought it had fallen over out of my view, but no: I then gave a yell and hit the Emergency Stop button (the first time I've ever done that!). The train immediately stopped, still alongside the platform having only advanced a few yards.

The guard came (a good reason why we need guards on trains: Southern Railway take note!) but said he couldn't open the doors since the whole train was no longer adjacent to the platform, for safety reasons. So I couldn't give chase. He offered to alert the police and advised me to get off at Lewes and meet them. So I got off at Lewes. I went to the Station Manager's office at Lewes station but no police. I was warned that they often take an hour or two to respond to this sort of incident: I hung around for 1½ hours trying to phone them but unable to get through. In the end I left contact details with the Station Manager and returned home.

Back at home I had better success phoning BTP (British Transport Police) and gave them all my details, including those of a witness who said he'd seen someone walking away from the train at Plumpton with a bike (I'd seen nothing). I then decided to get in the car with my wife and drive slowly through Plumpton village past the station, peering into every front garden and side street, more in hope than expectation. After all, there's always a chance that someone might have grabbed the bike, realised it doesn't fit them, and dumped it.

No joy in the village, but two miles further on, on the same road, near a pub called the Half Moon, there it was - leaning against a garden wall! My road bike is fairly unique in appearance - an old steel Bianchi in 'cerise' - and instantly recognisable. Now I wasn't sure what to do: I phoned BTP once again and said, I've found it: is it OK to retrieve my bike? They weren't sure either, but seeing as they were - like all police forces - short-handed, they said they'd pass a message on to Sussex Police (since the bike had not been dumped on Railway premises it was now under their jurisdiction). If I didn't hear from them for a while I was free to retrieve the bike.

Well, another hour's wait and nothing more from the police, but as it happened the owner of the house belonging to the garden wall, turned up in his car. He spotted me and my wife hanging around next to our car, came up to us and asked me if that was my bike. I explained the situation. He said there had been a lot of bike thefts locally, but I suppose my experience was a new one on him. Well, with him as a witness, I felt more comfortable about retrieving my bike, so home we came.

Another oddity. The place where we found the bike is less than two miles from Plumpton Station where it was stolen. But the computer shows that the bike had done about fourteen miles. At an average speed of about 7 mph. What had the thief been doing, I wonder?

I shall be a lot more careful about watching my bike on a train, in future. :oops:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ShaunD

Re: Bike stolen and retrieved - extraordinary day!

Post by ShaunD »

Glad you got your bike back, that’s an interesting story. Having no used the trains in the Sussex area, I would always watch my bike, even if I had to be seated away from it. It seems that the thief was just an opportunist, but it’s a strange story!
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sweet outcome! Well done.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Glad you got it back Pete,all's well that ends well :) but wish the thief had been caught :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote: ... Another oddity. The place where we found the bike is less than two miles from Plumpton Station where it was stolen. But the computer shows that the bike had done about fourteen miles. At an average speed of about 7 mph. What had the thief been doing, I wonder? ...

Some form of joyriding?

It's good to hear you got your bike back but in these circumstances it's probably not theft as It would be difficult to prove an intention permanently to deprive the owner, unless the ganiff admitted it. It's a relatively minor summary offence under s12 (5) Theft Act, 1968

(5) Subsection (1) above shall not apply in relation to pedal cycles; but, subject to subsection (6) below, a person who, without having the consent of the owner or other lawful authority, takes a pedal cycle for his own or another’s use, or rides a pedal cycle knowing it to have been taken without such authority, shall on summary conviction be liable to a fine not exceeding [F5level 3 on the standard scale.]

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/12
rjb

Post by rjb »

it should be akin to taking and moving a vehicle without the owners consent, or even horse theft - do they still allow the owner to shoot the culprit in the USA. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Some form of joyriding?

It's good to hear you got your bike back but in these circumstances it's probably not theft as It would be difficult to prove an intention permanently to deprive the owner, unless the ganiff admitted it. It's a relatively minor summary offence under s12 (5) Theft Act, 1968
Thanks for the info TC - I wasn't sure either and neither was the officer I spoke to. :roll: For motor vehicles I knew that there's a specific offence of TWOC'ing but presumably that doesn't apply to bicycles.

Joyride indeed!? I just hope it was 'fun' for the miscreant :twisted: :evil: . I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I think that when I found the bike it was in the same gear as when I loaded it on the train. Perhaps the thief hadn't figured out how to manage the ergolevers. Also, my pedals are fitted with toeclips. These are awkward for anyone not accustomed to them. Possibly the thief rode the whole 14 miles with upside-down pedals. These things might explain the 7mph average :shock: :mrgreen: .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

rjb wrote:it should be akin to taking and moving a vehicle without the owners consent, or even horse theft - do they still allow the owner to shoot the culprit in the USA. :shock:

I thought that in the Wild West they used to hang horse thieves.
Now there's an idea..... :twisted:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:It's good to hear you got your bike back but in these circumstances it's probably not theft as It would be difficult to prove an intention permanently to deprive the owner, unless the ganiff admitted it. It's a relatively minor summary offence under s12 (5) Theft Act, 1968

I think it's hard to argue that the intention wasn't to deprive the owner permanently. The bike was taken from a train and then left unlocked against a wall two miles away. Under those circumstances, I imagine that there's rather less than an even chance of the bike ever being returned to the owner. It's only by chance that the bike wasn't taken from where it had been dumped. It was only by chance that the owner knew at what station the bike was taken. And it was only by persistence that the owner travelled so far out of the village in the right direction.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Might be worth speaking to plumpton agricultural college. Sounds to me like it might have been a "prank" from one of their students getting the train in. Someone who might normally walk the two miles so would mess about on your bike in the time that would normally allow. The half moon is pretty close to the college and is certainly that way from the station.

There will be CCTV at the station, between that and speaking to the college I reckon you'd have a damn good chance of getting to the bottom of the matter.
Last edited by captain offensive on 28 Sep 2017, 10:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Ps. I use those trains (well Hastings to Lewes) regularly. The seats by the bike racks are next to the toilets. Not nice but I always stay close by!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My upright fixed wheel trike was stolen and abandoned about 100 yards away :D
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

captain offensive wrote:Might be worth speaking to plumpton agricultural college. Sounds to me like it might have been a "prank" from one of their students getting the train in. Someone who might normally walk the two miles so would mess about on your bike in the time that would normally allow. The half moon is pretty close to the college and is certainly that way from the station.

There will be CCTV at the station, between that and speaking to the college I reckon you'd have a damn good chance of getting to the bottom of the matter.
Yes, I'd been considering that. But the 'joyride' lasted almost two hours - rather longer than it would take a student to walk 2 miles, I reckon.

I am familiar with that type of train (Class 377 - very common in use on Southern) and I know that the 'official' cycle place is adjacent the disabled toilet. On this occasion I was too far along the platform to be able to board the train at the 'right' place. It's difficult sometimes to know where to wait!
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Grandad wrote:My upright fixed wheel trike was stolen and abandoned about 100 yards away :D

The 27" front wheel was taken from my bike. Nearly a year later I found it leaning against a lamppost about 100 yards away, a bit worse for wear - rusty and with the tyre completely bald. It had definitely been used, but I'm not sure for what. The only explanation I could think of was that whenever the thief needed a new tyre he'd steal a wheel.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

When I was a student, both wheels were nicked off my bike from outside a pub. Having finished my karaoke session I went off to the local police station to report it. That took forever, but I started the long walk home with the frameset slung over my shoulder....

...and got nicked the other side of town. Those were the days when we had so many police on the beat, they were arresting anything that moved.