Commuting routes Mansfield to Notingham

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ROAD_ZULU

Commuting routes Mansfield to Notingham

Post by ROAD_ZULU »

Hello I am new to this forum and wanted to know if anyone does a daily commute from Mansfield to Nottingham I live in Mansfield and have recently secured a job in the Radford Boulevard area but wondered are there any safe alternatives than going via Nottingham Road as I will be working shifts and at night it can be pretty dangerous as there are no lights on part of that stretch of road at night.

Any suggestions thanks
TrevA

Re: Commuting routes Mansfield to Notingham

Post by TrevA »

My friend commutes from Berry Hill in Mansfield to Station St in Nottingham, and uses a number of routes. I'll have a look on Strava and get back to you with details. You could follow NCN route 6 but it does wander about a bit, going through Bestwood and Bulwell, following the river Leen.

You may struggle to find a route that has streetlights all the way. Get some powerful lights front and rear so that you can see and be seen.
Last edited by TrevA on 9 Oct 2017, 5:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
TrevA

Re: Commuting routes Mansfield to Notingham

Post by TrevA »

Checked his Strava and he mostly commutes down the A60 through Ravenshead, Arnold and down the Mansfield road into town, but sometimes from Ravenshead takes the back road down to Papplewick and then through Bestwood and Bulwell and onto Hucknall Road. He mostly commutes during rush hour but it's in the dark in winter and he does it all year round. There is a bus lane down much of the urban part of Mansfield Road, so you can bypass the standing traffic. At the Goose Fair Island, turn right onto Gregory Boulevard past the Forest Rec and through Hyson Green to get onto Radford Boulevard.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com