Shaken Cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Shaken Cyclist

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On way home on training ride through the lanes, bit busy and a car and two horse riders, I wait for horse riders to pass and they say thankyou.
Continue on and see a figure up ahead on the right, a bit closer and I see some one pushing a bike...............no carrying the front wheel off the ground :?
I ask if they want help...........shaken voice and breaking down..................they have fallen off.
I stop and see if they are OK.
From what I can gather there was an altercation between the lady on bike and two females on the horses.
She fell of and as it goes the horse riders shouted at her and left her in the road after she fell.

I checked the bike over, the back brake was some what poor and this might of led to the fall, if only front brake working, lanes are damp with mud and leaves.

She was close to home and was going to finish walking with bike.
After telling her what needing fixing on bike she mentioned Halfords and I suggested I could fix the brakes and cables as I only live a mile away, I have all the parts, will drop contact details in tomorrow as I had no means of contact then, silly me I had my mobile and could of recorded tel number.

There you go.
Not a rant about horse riders just people really, and the lady who fell off was also a horse rider.
She was most upset about the way they shouted at her.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
rmurphy195

Re: Shaken Cyclist

Post by rmurphy195 »

I'm not surprised - no matter how thick-skinned you think you might be, there's always a situation where you end up feeling shaken up, even if you give as good as you got the fact that you sank to that level spools your ride as it did to me last weekend.

Full marks to you as a human being for helping out - and a kick from a horses hoof is deserved by the horse riders for not helping the lady in question.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

One of our locals was victim of a hit and run last night.

Knocked off by a chap in a van, who then drove off (over his bike) and left him lying in the road. Fortunately other riders were with him and helped him out, word has it he's been to the Hospital and is OK thank goodness, bike less so...Police obviously now investigating but it was on a rural road so no CCTV nearby.

I just can't understand the mentality of anyone who leaves another human being like that :-(

Well done for stopping and doing the right thing, not that you should need to be told 'well done', it should just be the normal thing to do, but well done anyway.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

amediasatex wrote:One of our locals was victim of a hit and run last night.

Knocked off by a chap in a van, who then drove off (over his bike) and left him lying in the road. Fortunately other riders were with him and helped him out, word has it he's been to the Hospital and is OK thank goodness, bike less so...Police obviously now investigating but it was on a rural road so no CCTV nearby.

I just can't understand the mentality of anyone who leaves another human being like that :-(

Well done for stopping and doing the right thing, not that you should need to be told 'well done', it should just be the normal thing to do, but well done anyway.

well fear of the LAW?
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

mercalia wrote:
well fear of the LAW?

Well by running off like that you escalate the situation, I guess they are hoping the chance of getting away and not being found is worth the gamble, cos if they are found the outcome is likely to be worse if you've attempted to do a runner.

It still take a particularly cold heart to leave someone injured at the side of the road condition unknown...
pwa

Post by pwa »

I wonder if the lady in the OP had annoyed the horse riders by cycling too fast and wide around a corner or something like that, with poor brakes etc. Something to make them less than sympathetic when she took a tumble. Just one possible explanation that may fit the facts. We'll never really know.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Even so given the poor condition of bike, if it was self inflicted would the ambulance still come.
If I got into a storming row and then found someone off their bike down the road, I would still stop to see they were OK to carry on.
She maybe had got to her feet or it was perceived she was OK by riders, I might not see her again, if I do I will not raise the question as she seemed upset to discuss and some don't like to relive the moment.

Edited-
As for if people pass an injured person in the street, I normally look to see others coming to help, if not then I stop, but we know some are afraid to and it may be a hoax.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

amediasatex wrote:I just can't understand the mentality of anyone who leaves another human being like that :-(

"Well, cyclists aren't really people, are they? I mean, they don't feel pain like we do."
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mjr

Post by mjr »

amediasatex wrote:
mercalia wrote:well fear of the LAW?

Well by running off like that you escalate the situation, I guess they are hoping the chance of getting away and not being found is worth the gamble, cos if they are found the outcome is likely to be worse if you've attempted to do a runner.

They may have been one of the 10% driving without insurance, so they take the chance of getting away with doing a runner over the certainty these days of their vehicle being confiscated, prioritising their continued mobility over someone else's health. :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Hard to say who is at fault as we don't know what happened- for all we know the lady could have fallen off the bike after the quarrel, whatever it was about, and after the horse riders had turned their backs and they may not have seen it happen. Still seems a bit odd.
As the riders seem to have been polite to the op it seems strange if they had been otherwise just before to a different cyclist. People are strange though.

I can think of very few circumstances where I would leave anyone after a fall, certainly not if they were still on the ground, unless they had been so aggressive I feared for my/my horse's safety should they get up....even then, I would warn other traffic and call for help, though I might keep at a safe distance.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

amediasatex wrote:

It still take a particularly cold heart to leave someone injured at the side of the road condition unknown...

Escalating the situation probably - but perhaps in ways that you may not have been referring to.

Visiting relatives of my wife's many years ago, they told us of a neighbour that had been killed in a road accident. He was riding his motorbike to work one night and was knocked of it by a driver who sped off. Another car appeared a while later, apparently saw the bike but not the rider who was still lying in the road - and ran over him, finishing him off.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Local death of a jay walker, several cars had missed him and reported so.

But a car hit him straight on and smashed his screen, he sped off and later said he was afraid he was being mugged......................
2ND Driver drove over the body and took his car to be repaired after trying himself................blamed the wife for driving over a badger...................
1ST Driver also said he was checking his speedo so he did not see what hit him................
They both got off...................they both did not stop...........................