Strava names, wheel straightening and happy days!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Rob87

Strava names, wheel straightening and happy days!

Post by Rob87 »

Eyup all.
I can finally say I have a well sorted Road bike : a Spezialized Allez Sport with new everything including a new set of 700c Mavic Akrium wheels.

I recorded my first proper road ride on strava but theirs names for the sections like "mad bad and dangerous" "silky sprint" "school run" etc. I have the mobile version is there a way to see how others have done on these sections?? Who comes up with the names??

Also my new wheels, ah yes, every pot hole brought a wince and the sucking of air through teeth. Is their a set bedding in time before taking them to be straightened/trued up again? As i imagine now they've been used in service things may have loosened and bedded in.

Lastly, why didnt I get a road bike years ago!!! What a blast! Going up hilla waant a ball ache and the speed compared to mountain bikes is awesome!! Unfortunately, winter is on its way :(
Last edited by Graham on 10 Oct 2017, 8:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So . . and other help
TrevA

Re: Strava names, wheel straightening and happy days!

Post by TrevA »

The person who first initiates the Strava segment comes up with the name. Near me, there is a section outside a sewage works called "Can you smell @@@@ sprint"!

I've set up a few, including one that goes through the village of Stoke Bardolph. I called it Bardolph Bash. Someone then copied it in the opposite direction and called it Bash Bardolph.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Rob87 wrote:I have the mobile version is there a way to see how others have done on these sections??

If you have a Strava account then you'll be able to see your rides on the website too. There is some functionality that is only available on the website and not the mobile app, one feature is fly-bys where you can see who was out running/cycling when you were.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you go into one of your rides on the Strava app, and pick a segment, it will show you your effort, but if you scroll down it will show various leaderboards (all time, this year, today, people you are following), click on these to see other people's efforts over the same segment and where you rank.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Rob87 wrote:Eyup all.

Also my new wheels, ah yes, every pot hole brought a wince and the sucking of air through teeth. Is their a set bedding in time before taking them to be straightened/trued up again? As i imagine now they've been used in service things may have loosened and bedded in.

Tap or pluck the spokes. They should all give a very similar ping for a symmetrical wheel. If the wheel is asymmetric ie dished then all spokes on the same side should give a sound very close to each other. Ideally "things" shouldn't "have loosened or bedded in", but then.......
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Rob87

Post by Rob87 »

Getting to grips with strava now n what an amazing bit of kit.
Aye mike im hoping theyre ok they appear to be so think ill just enjoy the bike for a few months then have them looked over.
Just tapped each spoke with a screw driver and theyre all near eneugh pitch perfect to one and other.
Colin_P

Post by Colin_P »

Rob87 wrote:Getting to grips with strava now n what an amazing bit of kit.
Aye mike im hoping theyre ok they appear to be so think ill just enjoy the bike for a few months then have them looked over.
Just tapped each spoke with a screw driver and theyre all near eneugh pitch perfect to one and other.

For just £10 a year there is a thing called Veloviewer which plugs into strava.

If you like stats, stats and more stats then it will blow your mind.