Would you cycle on a 'shared' pavement on the wrong side of the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PRL

Re: Would you cycle on a 'shared' pavement on the wrong side of the road?

Post by PRL »

Two distinct questions.

Shared footway - it depends. The street-view pictures suggest that pedestrians will be few and the road is narrow. Probably yes.

Wrong side of road. - annoying . In this case it connects well with the next bit of the route so again probably yes.

Sustrans routes are of variable quality and I have enjoyed some and cursed at others but what can you expect from a provincial charity that has to make do with what it is given. A properly funded government agency would be held to a higher standard.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

Sustrans is essentially funded by government. Most of its funds are 'restricted', i.e. the charity is effectively working as a government contractor on a specific task.
PRL

Post by PRL »

thelawnet wrote:Sustrans is essentially funded by government. Most of its funds are 'restricted', i.e. the charity is effectively working as a government contractor on a specific task.

As I supporter I receive constant appeals for money. I doubt if Highways England has to resort to such. :roll:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Much of the national cycle network suffers from the problems mentioned by the OP. NCN21 in Crawley, for example, has very similar problems.
The main issue that local councils and the government have a complete lack of commitment to cycling, combined with the opinion that it's not something most people do. The difficulty for Sustrans is that it is constrained by this.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Username

Post by Username »

PRL wrote:Two distinct questions.

Shared footway - it depends. The street-view pictures suggest that pedestrians will be few and the road is narrow. Probably yes.

Wrong side of road. - annoying . In this case it connects well with the next bit of the route so again probably yes.

Sustrans routes are of variable quality and I have enjoyed some and cursed at others but what can you expect from a provincial charity that has to make do with what it is given. A properly funded government agency would be held to a higher standard.

Like horse-ass it would. The Government is a properly funded government agency and look how crap it turned out. Universal Credit is a recent example. Then theres the story with trains. They're about as useful as a Korean made missile.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, in many situations it is better, I can keep an eye on the motons

When cycling I feel I have more in common with pedestrians/people than with motor vehicles
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies