Cyclists Rights being eroded.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
9494arnold

Cyclists Rights being eroded.

Post by 9494arnold »

I fear that a few irrisponsible individuals are creating something of a Cause Celebre to beat all cyclists with.
Recent cases of "Cyclists" Maiming/Killing Pedestrians aren't helping, (I use inverted commas here, anyone involved with a pukka Cycling Group/Club would quickly have been disenfranchised if they persisted in riding an illegal bike I feel. )
and they are getting a disproportionate amount of Negative Press Coverage.
I speak as a reglar cyclist who currently carries longstanding Sciatica and a shoulder injury thanks to a pedestrian knocking me off my bike , walking into the road whilst looking at Mobile Phone. If they intend to institute further penalties available to cyclists that's fine, but how about protecting Cyclists (and Motorists) from Straying pedestrians?
America has strict "Jaywalking" Laws. Having said that,New laws are all well and good, if there's no one to enforce them then whats the point.
Recent press talking about Police not investigating "Low Level " Crime ; Like Burglary !!! What chance do you have?
And I'm sure I saw something recently about Halfords advocating Number Plates for Bikes.
Sum

Re: Cyclists Rights being eroded.

Post by Sum »

9494arnold wrote:...And I'm sure I saw something recently about Halfords advocating Number Plates for Bikes.

Not advocating as such but they have raised the issue by asking others to comment in a survey:-
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/halfords-floats-idea-of-number-plates-for-cyclists/022026
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

9494arnold wrote:I fear that a few irrisponsible individuals are creating something of a Cause Celebre to beat all cyclists with.
Recent cases of "Cyclists" Maiming/Killing Pedestrians aren't helping, (I use inverted commas here, anyone involved with a pukka Cycling Group/Club would quickly have been disenfranchised if they persisted in riding an illegal bike I feel. )
and they are getting a disproportionate amount of Negative Press Coverage.
I speak as a reglar cyclist who currently carries longstanding Sciatica and a shoulder injury thanks to a pedestrian knocking me off my bike , walking into the road whilst looking at Mobile Phone. If they intend to institute further penalties available to cyclists that's fine, but how about protecting Cyclists (and Motorists) from Straying pedestrians?
America has strict "Jaywalking" Laws. Having said that,New laws are all well and good, if there's no one to enforce them then whats the point.
Recent press talking about Police not investigating "Low Level " Crime ; Like Burglary !!! What chance do you have?
And I'm sure I saw something recently about Halfords advocating Number Plates for Bikes.

You bring up some good points. I'm not really interested in more laws and rules either, I keep hearing people talking about registration and insurance.
Also I'd be happy for the UK, not to introduce Jaywaling Laws, should we not be looking for common sense?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Currently people on foot can act recklessly causing injury and even death as happened recently to a cyclist and are basically immune to prosecution.
In fact so protected the police would likely have prosecuted the dead cyclist had he survided.
The situation is beyond tolerable, as I've said before, people on bikes are held to a far higher standard of responsibility all the whilst having next to zero protection from the reckless and dangerous, on top of that we are discriminated against in law and in investigations.
We are discriminated against when it comes to common law rights, we are castigated and atracked from every avenue to a piint were it's obviously a hate crime but again no-one does anything.
At times I truly hate being on the end of the burden put upon me with no protection of my rights whatsoever
gaz

Post by gaz »

9494arnold wrote:America has strict "Jaywalking" Laws. Having said that,New laws are all well and good, if there's no one to enforce them then whats the point.

New laws are not all well and good.

"Jaywalking" laws came about through lobbying on behalf of reckless unobservant motorists shifting the blame for collisions onto pedestrians for being in motorists space.

New laws compelling pedestrians to only cross roads at designated points would not be "all well and good", they would be an invitation for motorists to become even less attentive. I have no wish to see pedestrian rights being further eroded by such laws in the UK.

If they come for the pedestrians the cyclists won't be far behind with compulsion to use farcilities however indirect and glass strewn they may be, in fact they'd probably come for the cyclists first.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

+1
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:
9494arnold wrote:America has strict "Jaywalking" Laws. Having said that,New laws are all well and good, if there's no one to enforce them then whats the point.

New laws compelling pedestrians to only cross roads at designated points would not be "all well and good", they would be an invitation for motorists to become even less attentive. I have no wish to see pedestrian rights being further eroded by such laws in the UK.

If they come for the pedestrians the cyclists won't be far behind with compulsion to use farcilities however indirect and glass strewn they may be, in fact they'd probably come for the cyclists first.

I think it's time for this again:
[youtube]-AFn7MiJz_s[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AFn7MiJz_s
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I don't support jaywalking laws.
Only some US states have them I think and I don't think they have any evidence that they make pedestrians safer.

The lack of UK jaywalking laws seems the last bit saying to motor vehicles that they do not own the roads.

I think persuading pedestrians to take care to look before stepping out into traffic should remain social only: I suggest most haven't considered the fact their act might also result in injury to a cyclist/motorcyclist whereas they expect (generally correctly I presume) that a metal-boxy motor vehicle will just physically injure them. I always thought when cyclists are sharing roads with cars, that the risk of the pedestrian impacting with a car/lorry/bus etc helped dissuade them from randomly stepping out.

Unless one is doing walking speed (preceded by man with red flag?) there is always going to be an area in front of one into which anyone stepping cannot be avoided by braking).

I think an advantage of cycling on roads is wide lanes compared to cycle paths, hence cyclists have more space to avoid a pedestrian (who may have looked like a sensible adult) who unexpectedly steps out. And can pro-actively move further away from kerb (as well as choose suitable speed) for those who look likely to step out etc.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

gaz wrote:

New laws are not all well and good.

"Jaywalking" laws came about through lobbying on behalf of reckless unobservant motorists shifting the blame for collisions onto pedestrians for being in motorists space.

Agree 100% gaz. The real problem is the media, Jeremy Clarkson being one of the worst.