Riding in the dark

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Riding in the dark

Post by Mick F »

Audax67 wrote:When I'm going to be riding in the dark I fix a cheap single-LED rearlight, something like this, under my handlebars, pointing backwards. That way I can see my chain & gears, and where to put the bottles.
Excellent idea and a good little light.
Food for thought. :D

I do have an issue with dynamo lights that I go down the drive to the gate and the front light is good and bright, but when I stop to open the gate, then go forward a few yard to stop and lean the bike up to go and shut the gate, the distance wasn't far enough to charge up the stand-light system. I've been taking a battery torch with me coz it's dark, and too dark to see the gate catch. No street lights here.

I occurred to me the other day, that I could fit a small seatpost WHITE battery light and switch it on as I leave the house, so the gate area is well illuminated from the rear of the bike as I lean it up. Turn the light off as I leave of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

An old roadie told me years ago that the way he avoided being temporarily blinded after a car that didn't dip had passed, was to close one eye. (until it had passed!)
It does help.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:An old roadie told me years ago that the way he avoided being temporarily blinded after a car that didn't dip had passed, was to close one eye. (until it had passed!)

Was he a v-bomber pilot by any chance :wink: . I'll let you figure that one out :).
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

My first lights were the never readies that spent more time off than on. Old timers in the club waxed lyrical about the acetylene lamps of their early years.

I spent 18 months of my National Service at RAF West Malling in Kent, just 35 miles from home near Sutton in Surrey. Wednesday afternoons were sports time, cycling was a sport and clubnight was Wednesday so a weekly round trip of 70 miles, returning in the dark. Batteries were a heavy drain on my minscule pay.

A sergeant in the camp was the Fighter Command Cycling Officer and a member of the local Medway Road Club. He persuaded me to "volunteer" to make up the Command 12 hour team - my first race - which gave me the taste for time trialling. A little later I won first handicap in a 100 with a prize value of £3. The rule was that the rider should buy something of that value that was capable of being engraved.

Len Chambers local bike shop had some working reproduction acetylene lamps price £3. Using my prize money and adding another one shilling and six pence for a box of carbide I could save the cost of constantly replacing the batteries and enjoy this fantastic light that I had heard about.

I've had a few disappointments over the course of my life and the feeble glimmer of this light was one of them. I stuck with it for economic reasons and had a number of varied experiences. Too much water on the carbide generated a brighter light and enough heat to make the top of the lens housing glow (and break the lens!) Normal temperatures in rain created steam. The flame went out at least once on every journey so a box of matches was as important as the tool kit. Re-lighting involved getting a good flow of gas before applying the match with a resultant minor explosion. On one occasion this process was witnessed by a friendly drunk - I wonder what he remembered of his reaction the next morning.

Once back in civvie street I had the lamp rechromed as my first racing trophy but never did get it engraved.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Grandad wrote:...but never did get it engraved.

Nice story, well told.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

This thread inspired me :D I worked from home today, and rode over to a friend's house at the end of my work day. I had a nice chat with friends over coffee, then rode home in the dark. I didn't go straight home. It wasn't a long ride, maybe 15ish miles. But it was a nice ride on clear night.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
lankysnapper

Post by lankysnapper »

(Motorists though aren't my concern, cyclists with stupid hi-power Chinese lights are the real problem. I'm not sure why I should be forced to a standstill on dark paths because they're too stupid, cheapskate or inconsiderate to either set them up properly, buy proper lights or at a minimum shade them with their hands)[/quote]

Totally agree. Most of my commute is on a well lit shared path, totally away from roads and traffic, and I can't believe the number of cyclists that use eyeball searing lights (most flashing!) aimed at eye-level. Last winter I was mostly walking the same route and it was annoying but easily resolved by shielding one's eyes and walking slowly. Now on my new form of transport, given what I'm experiencing right now, in fact just this evening, I don't think I'm looking forward to the clock's going back and the onset of winter. What's the etiquette? Do I shout "Turn those lights out" Dad's Army style or be forced to stop until I can see again?

BTW PDQ - that's what I did when walking; guess I should try on the bike!
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

horizon wrote:
Mick F wrote:
I find that it is difficult to assess my speed and it always seems that I'm going too slow.
Anyone else have these these problems?

Yes, but I have the same problem in the daytime ... :lol:

Seriously though ....

I do a lot of riding (regular trips) on unlit rural roads. The main problem I find is oncoming cars that don't dip. I use a strong signal (wildly waving hand in front of eyes etc) and they usually respond. YMMV but I find it is enough to throw me - I often have to brake.

My point is: were they never taught?

I don't have a problem with drivers dazzling me on full beam, but idiot cyclists with high power head torches. I treat these morons to the full power of my Exposure Max D front light.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

old_windbag wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:An old roadie told me years ago that the way he avoided being temporarily blinded after a car that didn't dip had passed, was to close one eye. (until it had passed!)

Was he a v-bomber pilot by any chance :wink: . I'll let you figure that one out :).

It's too early and I can't? (perhaps my lack of military training?!)
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
old_windbag wrote:

It's too early and I can't? (perhaps my lack of military training?!)
IIRC they were said to carry a load of 'instant sunshine' :(
"42"
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

squeaker wrote:IIRC they were said to carry a load of 'instant sunshine' :(

They did but were given an eye patch so that if the detonation blinded them it would only blind one eye and they could continue flying( if they remembered to take it off ).

PDQ: military training? Heavens above I ditched those ideas when I was at a formative age.... I'd be retired now, living in sussex and writing letters to the times if I hadn't. "We should be bringing back national service that'll teach them" :) .
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

old_windbag wrote:
PDQ: military training? Heavens above I ditched those ideas when I was at a formative age.... I'd be retired now, living in sussex and writing letters to the times if I hadn't. "We should be bringing back national service that'll teach them" :) .

Not you- me!
It was totally lost on me the V Bomber business.
I have led a very sheltered life. :wink:

OTOH, it (close one eye) is quite a useful tip when cycling on very dark lanes. 8)
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I have led a very sheltered life. :wink:

We all would had superpowers pushed their luck.

But we're getting back to square one with kim jong-un or whatever( think his translated name is moon faced clown ) and trump.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Last might's ride home went well, mostly. The only glitch was a moment of rider error when I chose to look round to check my rear lights were still on, then returned my gaze to the front in time to see I had veered a couple of degrees to the left and was heading for a long narrow puddle at the side of the lane. I decided to accept going through the edge of the puddle rather than swerving to avoid it completely. In my mind that edge of the puddle was 2cm of water over good tarmac. In reality it was a pothole! There followed a few seconds of very wobbly steering with the air enriched with expletives as I struggled to stay upright. Back on the good tarmac relief took over and I smiled to myself.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

old_windbag wrote:
geocycle wrote: Natural caution I guess but also as there is so much wildlife around.

Exactly the same here, my average speed is typically 1-1.5mph lower than in daylight( 14-15mph in the dark ). Also, possibly due to reduced feedback and more attuned to wind noise, I feel that a slower speed feels much faster. But the nocturnal wildlife is part of the pleasure but definite caution to be taken I feel. I saw three barn owls on a recent trip one of whom flew alongside me for a 100yds.

But with good modern lights and the near zero traffic on rural roads( even city was quiet ) it can be absolute heaven. Greater passing space given by drivers, easy to see them coming ahead or behind, virtually have the roads to yourself.

I agree with the above, my garmin is set with no backlight so i dont know what speed i am going but i gear count and i know roughly what each gear feels like on certian sections of my commute i have been doing for 8 years + .
Overall my average is down about the same , i dont push it so much on the corners , downhills are taking cautiously and uphill drags you kinda have to guess by effort .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."