Riding in the dark

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Riding in the dark

Post by Mick F »

I've been doing this recently, and it's rather strange in the pitch dark with only the light from the front and the red glow behind.

I find that it is difficult to asses my speed and it always seems that I'm going too slow.
Also, I find it difficult to know which gear I'm in (both front and rear) and have to concentrate on making sure I change properly without cross-chaining.

Anyone else have these these problems?
Mick F. Cornwall
geocycle

Re: Riding in the dark

Post by geocycle »

Yes, I ride much slower in the pitch black despite excellent lights, average is 10-11mph. Natural caution I guess but also as there is so much wildlife around. No problem with gears as I don't use derailleurs.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

geocycle wrote: Natural caution I guess but also as there is so much wildlife around.

Exactly the same here, my average speed is typically 1-1.5mph lower than in daylight( 14-15mph in the dark ). Also, possibly due to reduced feedback and more attuned to wind noise, I feel that a slower speed feels much faster. But the nocturnal wildlife is part of the pleasure but definite caution to be taken I feel. I saw three barn owls on a recent trip one of whom flew alongside me for a 100yds.

But with good modern lights and the near zero traffic on rural roads( even city was quiet ) it can be absolute heaven. Greater passing space given by drivers, easy to see them coming ahead or behind, virtually have the roads to yourself.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

One of the advantages of down tube or bar end levers is that you always know pretty well what gear you are in. :)
whoof

Post by whoof »

Every year after 6 -7 months of not riding in the dark the end of October comes around and my commute is either one way or in December sometimes both ways in the dark. Large sections of this have no street lighting and if there's no light from the moon it's completely dark. The first couple of rides this feels a bit odd but like anything else you soon get used to it.

As to speed and gearing, I may be riding a bit slower than if it were light but I don't feel that it's 'too slow'. It's just that I can't see things as well in the dark and therefore a bit slower can be quite sensible. Never had a problem with gearing, I set the rear gear from the feel of my legs and on the flat I'm in the 39 t ring.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

LollyKat wrote:One of the advantages of down tube or bar end levers is that you always know pretty well what gear you are in. :)
Yes, I agree on that. :D

Mercian has Ergos, and they're a pain in the dark. Moulton has DT shifters, and it's just a matter of feeling where the levers are.
Using triples makes the whole thing much more complicated than a double of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Very little difference riding in the dark or daylight. This is on dark lanes that I know well, otherwise it is certain to be slower. I am more cautious in places where I have seen badgers in particular. My rear light has enough downward spread that it leaves a patch on the road and I can pretty much see what gear I am in if needed. Only change down on the front when climbing, then straight back up onto the normal riding big ring, so no issues there. My usual night machine has downtube levers, others that are sometimes used have Ergo.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I don't think I ride any slower day or night for a given bit of road.

I also never have a clue what gear I'm in. Cadence too fast, change up, too slow, change down.
As for cross chaining, chains and gears last long enough so I don't concern myself too much. I do tend to 'know' what chainring I'm on but on the rear I haven't a clue.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I know roughly what gear I'm in from my speed.
So I know at around 14,20 and 35 mph, I expect to go up or down a range of gears.
I can also hear if I'm in a gear lower than 8th due to the noise the Rohloff makes, so if I'm in an upper range I'll shift down.
Locally I also know which hills I tend to use the overdrive ranges on, so I can anticipate shifting up into those range of gears at the start of the downhill run.

Saying all that, I'll still find I'm going for the 15th gear on the Rohloff.
But that just like I do in the daylight, so no real dfference ..... :D
Si

Post by Si »

I find riding up hill much easier in the dark - I feel like I'm going much faster than I really am and I can't see how far I've still got to go....when I often get to the top I feel much fresher.

Switching the lights off and riding by moonlight (obviously only done when it is safe to do so) is also a wonderful experience.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

Si wrote:I find riding up hill much easier in the dark - I feel like I'm going much faster than I really am and I can't see how far I've still got to go....when I often get to the top I feel much fresher.

Feel exactly the same. There's a special satisfying feeling in the dark.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

what is this 'dark' you all talk about?

isn't it alternative light? :lol:

had to use lights a few times this week - wet and foggy in these parts changing to bright sunshine during the same rides!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

foxyrider wrote:what is this 'dark' you all talk about?
As in - can't see the hand in front of your face ............... well, I exaggerate a bit.

Never gets pitch black here, but it does get dark enough not to see where you're going without a light to light your way. Can't see your feet or where you're walking, let alone actually riding a bike. :shock:

Tops of hills is ok, but valleys is not in the least bit navigable without a light.
Mick F. Cornwall
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I ride at night a fair bit even in the summer, just for the peace and quiet, it's only natural to go slower as others have alluded to mostly from a safety POV. The vagaries of the road surface mean a well focused beam is essential in unlit areas. I do find that the orange glow from street lights isn't helpful, the newer whiter lights that shine downward rather than everywhere are far better.
Regards to speed, i rarely ride with a speedo nowadays except for the one on my day bike and even then I've stopped bothering about it, I enjoy my riding more not stressing about how long it takes me to do X or how fast I'm going or what my average speed is, though knowing a distance or approximate time to x destination so I can gauge how long I might need to get there is helpful (hospital appts for instance).

So a combination of not looking/using a speedo so often and a fair bit of night riding anyway (where you can't often see your speed) means I don't notice much difference in how it feels speed wise or the effort. Sometimes I'll try to ride quite hard at night just as I'd do during the daylight, sometimes it's just a spin out, being able to focus on the riding more and not the continual line of passing cars does have a positive effect re effort/speed IMHO.

It is interesting though that lights on modern motorvehicles encourage going faster at night and your average moton crashes and dies a lot more during darkness like for like (yes there are other factors at play but there is 60% less traffic during hours of darkness on avg)
This speed and less time to 'see' and react despite improved headlights is the prime contributor to night time crashes, when you have cyclists being hit by motorists and then being blamed for not wearing day glo/reflectives and lights that are similar levels to motorvehicles is not only misguided it's very much victim blaming.
As CTC rightfully objected at the time in the 20s after WWI regulations were no longer needed, it further encourages speed of those presenting the harm and lack of attentiveness, the 'go at a speed you can stop well within the distance you can see to be clear' if pushed as law/must in the HC then it would make a heck of a difference!
fortunately quite a few people can see 'ninja' cyclists :roll:
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
I find it difficult to know which gear I'm in (both front and rear)

You'll develop a feel for it, I still get it wrong even after several years practice :) . You could try an additional rear light angled down toward the cassette to help at the back
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~