Squirrels!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Squirrels!

Post by MikeF »

I've often nearly hit a squirrel that has darted out in front of me often just inches away, but yesterday one darted out from the offside of the lane and went under my bike just behind my front wheel ie under the BB. :shock: I don't know if the squirrel was surprised, but I certainly was. Has anyone hit one?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Re: Squirrels!

Post by gaz »

I've had one hit me, fell out of the tree on to my back as I was riding past. Scurried off unharmed, as did the squirrel :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:I've had one hit me, fell out of the tree on to my back as I was riding past. Scurried off unharmed, as did the squirrel :wink: .

probably just trying to hitch a lift to the next tree :wink:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Yes, hit two yesterday. :? They are kamikasi at the moment rushing across the roads.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Yes, I've had one try to go between the wheels and end up under the rear. At least the tyre hit it in the head, so it was killed instantly.

I think they do it on purpose, trying to get behind the "predator", since most quadrupeds have difficulty reversing direction at speed. The instinct plays them false with vehicles though, they duck behind the front wheel and the back one gets them. Lots of them dead on the road at the moment, must be the season for them.

You can eat them, I believe. Probably should have tried when I had one I knew was fresh, but I can also use them for dissections at work so that's where it went.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

gaz wrote:I've had one hit me, fell out of the tree on to my back as I was riding past. Scurried off unharmed, as did the squirrel :wink: .

Hope you were wearing a helmet. :lol:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Every year, at least one. Running over their tails seems to be a thing especially on an evening.
Also rabbits.
barrym

Post by barrym »

kwackers wrote:.
Also rabbits.

Or lunch as I like to call it[emoji39]
--
Cheers
Barry
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

barrym wrote:
kwackers wrote:.
Also rabbits.

Or lunch as I like to call it

Last one ran into the bushes as I approached, then just as I'm going past decided it preferred the bushes on the other side.
Not really sure what happened but somehow I seemed to pick it up with my feet and flip it through the frame.
I stopped and it was sat on the path looking fairly surprised then it shot off. I felt quite sorry for it, for it was a scraggy creature.

I think about it from time to time, mostly though for the mystery of how I managed to pick it up with my foot...
Username

Post by Username »

Ruadh495 wrote:Yes, I've had one try to go between the wheels and end up under the rear. At least the tyre hit it in the head, so it was killed instantly.

I think they do it on purpose, trying to get behind the "predator", since most quadrupeds have difficulty reversing direction at speed. The instinct plays them false with vehicles though, they duck behind the front wheel and the back one gets them. Lots of them dead on the road at the moment, must be the season for them.

You can eat them, I believe. Probably should have tried when I had one I knew was fresh, but I can also use them for dissections at work so that's where it went.

How d'you know so much about dead squirrels?
mjr

Post by mjr »

MikeF wrote:

Hope you were wearing a helmet. :lol:

More importantly, given the fall: was the squirrel? :roll:

A while ago, the path of a herd of deer crossed the middle of our group of riders. :shock: Somehow everything avoided everyone and vice-versa. That could easily have ended very badly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Same Squirrel twice, ran across the road, bounced off my front wheel then rebounded off the back one... and survived to tell the tale....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rjb

Post by rjb »

Grey squirrels were classed as vermin. There was a scheme to pay anyone who presented a Squirrel tail to the appropriate authority. It was abandoned in 1958 when it became clear that numbers couldn't be controlled by culling. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Some squirrels have road sense.....

Middle of the road

Post by Middle of the road »

Mrs M-O-T-R was almost hit by a Muntjac deer a few years ago whilst we were cycling through the Sandringham estate in Norfolk at New Year and we had a close encounter with a Roe Deer biking through Brittany last month