Squirrels!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Squirrels!

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And besides - Pine Martens are cool
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrew_s wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I believe there should be a program of reducing their numbers to an absolute minimum.Extinction isn't possible but native Reds would only prosper as a result.

Irish experience is that the best way to reduce grey squirrels and increase red squirrels is to increase the numbers of pine martens.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ne-martens

A pine marten doesn't usually catch a red squirrel because they can retreat right to the tips of the branches where the martens can't go, but greys are too big to do that. Apparently it's not so much that the pine martens eat lots of grey squirrels (though they do eat a fair number), but that the greys are so nervous when there are martens about that they don't fatten up enough for the winter.

I'm aware of that but are there enough Pine Martins to do the job?
Also once there's a healthy population of Pine Martins and job's done,what do the Pine Martins then eat?
By solving one problem do create another?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Pine martens terrorising poor grey squirrels? %(

In natural conditions animal populations fluctuate a lot, after a snowy winter maybe half of the wild horses in the Carneddau died, in the next couple of years more foals were born and survived

The plague greatly reduced the human population of Europe (maybe there were *too many* people before) and maybe enabled society to grow and develop
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Plague, yup, that would sort a lot of problems out!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
QUIST

Post by QUIST »

I've had my front wheel (spokes) wrapped arounf a rat I don't know who was more scared the rat or me
Fasgadh

Post by Fasgadh »

Had a near miss once in Herefordshire. Squirrel just missed me, dropped by a hastily departing buzzard. I did not have a magic hat.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The plague greatly reduced the human population of Europe (maybe there were *too many* people before) and maybe enabled society to grow and develop

The funny thing is ... people that advocate modern "de-population" never seem to include their own family in the equation ..... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The plague greatly reduced the human population of Europe (maybe there were *too many* people before) and maybe enabled society to grow and develop

Since this discussion of squirrels has broadened to include mention of plague, it might be noted that plague is still "entrenched" in the southwestern United States, where the bacterium Yersinia pestis resides in the rodent population, including rats, prairie dogs, voles … and squirrels. And yes, it is transmitted to a few humans every year. Happily plague can now be treated with antibiotics, so it seems unlikely that squirrels will have a hand in controlling human population growth.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Squirrel ran into the front wheel this morning. I'd swear it did a whole revolution caught in the spokes before falling out. Front wheel then went over it.

No sign of it after, must have scurried back into the bushes. I can't imagine it's feeling too well :( .
rjb

Post by rjb »

When I was a lad you could take your dead grey squirrel to the appropriate authority who would pay you 2 Bob for them. The scheme was abandoned in 1958 when they realised they couldn't control them by culling. http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/hi ... ontrol.php :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Nearly picked up a squirrel in the front wheel last week. Today (in car) a huge buzzard swooped down (from the right) in front of my windscreen (almost onto bonnet?) and thinking better of it swooped up again - quite dramatic and spectacular (I was doing about 20mph at the time).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

rjb wrote:When I was a lad you could take your dead grey squirrel to the appropriate authority who would pay you 2 Bob for them. The scheme was abandoned in 1958 when they realised they couldn't control them by culling. http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/hi ... ontrol.php :(

2 Bob! I must have been living in the wrong county. I thought it was only a tanner.

It's pity there aren't squirrel shoots instead of pheasant shoots. Would reduce the damage caused in the countryside. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

gaz wrote:Squirrel ran into the front wheel this morning. I'd swear it did a whole revolution caught in the spokes before falling out. Front wheel then went over it.

No sign of it after, must have scurried back into the bushes. I can't imagine it's feeling too well :( .
You claim the prize!
I recall standing under a tree when a squirrel missed its footing; it fell flat onto the tarmac underneath. It didn't look to well as it walked away.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.