Clean bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

Clean bike

Post by Mick F »

Out for a 20mile spin this morning, and the bike has come back clean for the first time in weeks and weeeeeks. It's been damp and dreary here for yonks and this morning, the roads were actually DRY!

Amazing. :shock:

Riding in the dry weather beats riding in the wet hands down, and having a clean bike makes me smile. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Re: Clean bike

Post by foxyrider »

Never had that happen, how does it work? Some magic cleaning fairy? No? You mean I have to clean it before the ride for it to get back clean? :lol: - no fair!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Doesn't work here: wet weather means the bike gets plastered with mud and sludge and stuff; dry weather just means it gets dusted with sand...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wet yet again today, and I'm not riding, so the bike will remain clean.
Forecast to be nice later, and overnight, and tomorrow and I could get a morning ride in.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

A bike cleaned today brings rain tomorrow - old Chinese proverb
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:Wet yet again today, and I'm not riding, so the bike will remain clean.
Forecast to be nice later, and overnight, and tomorrow and I could get a morning ride in.

I’m sitting in Ae village cafe. Place is heaving with so many people out enjoying summer like weather. Blue skies and full sun but I’ll bet the bike will still be dirty when I get back home.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Warm here, providing you're in the sun. Coolish otherwise with a brisk wind. 14degC
The washing is getting a good blow-dry.
Cut the grass earlier, even though it was soaking wet ........... and has been for weeks.
Off out in the car shortly, then home for a beer or two. :D

Bike ride tomorrow morning ...................... it should remain dry, so the bike should remain clean.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Not sure will cheer up or upset some, but I come from a land where Christmas Day is often like this (and 15-18ºc).
Was windy but clear yesterday in north London, country lanes aren't really wet right now.

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
fossala

Post by fossala »

Gattonero wrote:Not sure will cheer up or upset some, but I come from a land where Christmas Day is often like this (and 15-18ºc).
Was windy but clear yesterday in north London, country lanes aren't really wet right now.

Stunning bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fossala wrote:Stunning bike.
Yes, I could ride that happily. :D

However, why have 32h wheels at both ends?
You need enough for strength at the back, and if you have the same up front. you have too many there.
Mick F. Cornwall
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

BITD 28h was for the Mtb racing wheels. And never broke a spoke in my life.
Those above are DT Revos on DP18 rims, 32h 3X and tension high enough. More than enough stiffness, "strength" is all about the rider's behaviour.

But whenever I'll put together a Christiania, I'll go 36h with 13g spokes, you really want to be able to carry a washing machine with it 8)
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

But I've got hallowed dirt on mine from Mont Ventoux. Bit like shaking Elvises' hand..........
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
fossala wrote:Stunning bike.
Yes, I could ride that happily. :D

However, why have 32h wheels at both ends?
You need enough for strength at the back, and if you have the same up front. you have too many there.

Because losing four spokes doesn't offer enough advantage to bother having different rims?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It's all about what I read - SB I think - that makes the point that there's no reason to have the same number of spokes at the front and the rear.
We never used to have them the same, so it's probably marketing that has made then the same. Cheaper production, not a practical reason.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F. Cornwall