Clean bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: Clean bike

Post by reohn2 »

Italy.... .....it's not about the bike.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

reohn2 wrote:Italy.... .....it's not about the bike.

Wood and trees?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Italy.... .....it's not about the bike.

Wood and trees?

Plenty of them in Italy :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Mick F wrote:It's all about what I read - SB I think - that makes the point that there's no reason to have the same number of spokes at the front and the rear.
We never used to have them the same, so it's probably marketing that has made then the same. Cheaper production, not a practical reason.

In today's day, the real problem is the big discrepancy in flange distance on the rear hub, because of wider cassettes that hold more sprockets. This translates in a noticeable difference in the average spoke tension between the Lh and the Rh sides of the rear wheel, and does not make the wheel lateral stiff, plus can easily cause the loss of spoke tension on the Lh side.

You can have a stronger wheel with 28h on a symmetric hub, than a 36h on a hub with the Rh flange at 18mm from the center of the hub (as per many "11speed" hubs).
Sheldon's opinion can make sense on a general note, but does not apply to all, and less than ever on modern hubs.
As said, some people may be able to thrash 48h wheel should you give them ones, while I've never had to replace a spoke in my life not even on the Mtb racing wheels, apparently I'm "gentle" with the wheels
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had a dry ride today - the bike and me came back even filthier than on recent wet rides - apparently in the Peak District the farmers have a competition to see who can spread the most wet [inappropriate word removed] on the lanes. I certainly found some potential winners, inches of sludge of unknown matrix on one road nicely hiding the potholes! But still it was a dry ride even if the bike looks like it's just completed a wet Paris-Roubaix!

Seriously considering one of those mini power wash things :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robing

Post by robing »

I went out yesterday for what I thought would be a lovely dry ride. It was a beautiful crisp, clear day and the roads were dry. But half way through I passed a new house development and with all the lorries coming in and out the road was a mud bath and the bike went from spotless to filthy. Typical .