DERBY ROAD RAGE

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: DERBY ROAD RAGE

Post by thirdcrank »

csharp354 wrote: ... Hope this clarifies my actions?

If you are asking me, I'd more or less worked out what had happened by the time I posted. What concerned me was that you might inadvertently confuse somebody else. Without a reg., it's hard to see this going much further unless there's something else like CCTV or a report from the driver involved about you. If there was a statement saying "I rode up the inside" and the person taking it didn't explore that further, when that was put to the suspect at interview, they'd probably disagree with that bit immediately and an unnecessary complication would develop because referring back to you in your absence would not be easy. This may seem like a small point but it's something that might become exaggerated eg if somebody wanted to suggest your evidence was unreliable when, in fact, it was only a matter of usage of words.
csharp354

Post by csharp354 »

thirdcrank wrote:
csharp354 wrote: ... Hope this clarifies my actions?

If you are asking me, I'd more or less worked out what had happened by the time I posted. What concerned me was that you might inadvertently confuse somebody else. Without a reg., it's hard to see this going much further unless there's something else like CCTV or a report from the driver involved about you. If there was a statement saying "I rode up the inside" and the person taking it didn't explore that further, when that was put to the suspect at interview, they'd probably disagree with that bit immediately and an unnecessary complication would develop because referring back to you in your absence would not be easy. This may seem like a small point but it's something that might become exaggerated eg if somebody wanted to suggest your evidence was unreliable when, in fact, it was only a matter of usage of words.

I think this thread has gone off course! The whole incident took place once the lights changed to green. Prior to the lights changing I was stationary in the designated cycle box waiting for the lights to change from Red to Green. I think how I got there is immaterial. I went up the side of the traffic on the left because there is no room on the other side. I chose the safest route to get to the cycle box at the head of the lights that were on red. Why the driver kicked off I will never know but I was in the cycle box, the lights were on red. Where is the infringement? There isn't one. My crime was to be on a bike.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I can only reiterate:

... I'm not making an issue about your position on the road, just saying it's important to be 100% clear to others to avoid confusion eg if the other party is traced and interviewed.

I presumed that you were hoping that the authorities might take this further and my advice on the need for clarity in the wording of any statement was based only on that. I'd agree 100% that the kind of behaviour to which you were subjected is wrong, but that opinion does nothing to take things forward. Having a thread go a bit off course is no big deal. Having an investigation into an incident like this go off course would be a pity.
======================================
PS

I think this thread has gone off course!

With my apologies for not taking this in the direction you would have wished, what other direction would you prefer?
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

The police will do nothing. I would forget it. Buy a head cam such as a GoPro or Drift so next time you can film the ****** and post it on Youtube to try to identify and shame them. If it is sufficiently serious next time around you will hopefully have video evidence of you being abused, assaulted, run down or killed. You might feel the need to then make a complaint to police with your footage but there is still no guarantee that they would do anything. The police are like that. Some times they can be bone idle.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Report it to the police, but don't hold your breath....
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Ivor Tingting wrote:If it is sufficiently serious next time around you will hopefully have video evidence of you being abused, assaulted, run down or killed.

Posthumously?
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Report Report Report

Even if there's not a chance of tracing the offender, the report will be recorded and categorised, and if it becomes a real issue it might just get the Enforcement Priority it clearly deserves or a road revamp.

I was heartened by the recent "Close Pass" Initiatives by West Midlands Police
(and thats coming form a quite cynical retired Police Officer)

And if you are having a more pleasant commute you might like to count the number of Police Traffic Enforcement Cars around on the Commute. If my experience is anything to go on you could happily do this on your fingers without losing your grip on the Handlebars. !! :cry: :shock:
buddyboy

Post by buddyboy »

The whole incident took place once the lights changed to green. Prior to the lights changing I was stationary in the designated cycle box waiting for the lights to change from Red to Green.. I chose the safest route to get to the cycle box at the head of the lights that were on red. Why the driver kicked off I will never know but I was in the cycle box, the lights were on red. Where is the infringement? There isn't one. My crime was to be on a bike.

I have had a similar experience to yours and can only sympathise- like you I was too shocked at the time to know what to do. It comes down to a lack of education among a minority of car drivers who it seems begrudge cyclists for getting in front of them. Notwithstanding this, I always continue to position myself in front of vehicles in a cycle box which I feel is the safest option, and follow this up with a non-aggressive look back at the driver to remind them of your presence...