DERBY ROAD RAGE

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
csharp354

DERBY ROAD RAGE

Post by csharp354 »

To anyone who can help me...

Tonight I was cycling through Derby City Centre when I encountered some very serious road rage. What was my misdemeanor you may ask? Well I had the temerity to position myself inside the cycle box at the front of a set of traffic lights in the Five Lamps area of Derby City Centre. The lights were on red and I cycled up the inside of the lane and positioned myself in front of the first car so I was directly in line with the driver. I kept my shoes clipped in and leant on the traffic light column as per usual so that when the lights change I can accelerate away faster than the car behind me and get out of the way as there is a section of 1-way road. Tonight the car behind me took umbrage from my actions as I was at the front of the queue in the cycle box. As soon as the lights changed the driver was on the horn and driving very aggressively with the window down and shouting abuse. He overtook me and pulled over at the bottom of Duffield Road. I too stopped and rode onto the pavement and addressed the driver through the passenger window. What followed was a tirade of abuse, a can of something was thrown at me and I was spat at twice. I was so shocked by what happened I did not get the number plate and the driver also accelerated away from the scene very quickly to prevent me from doing so. Now the reason for this post is to ask what can be done about this incident as clearly the driver is in the wrong and it is not acceptable to be verbally and physically abused by someone for riding within the laws of the road. I think if the driver had have got out of the car then he would have seriously hurt me as he had completely lost it. I have never ever encountered such venomous abuse like this before and I have been cycling a long time. I am 43 and have been commuting since my mid 20's and have cycled since I was 15. Please can anyone recommend a course of action to bring the driver to task for his behaviour and attitude towards law abiding cyclists. This incident occurred at ~5.45pm at Five Lamps at the junction with Kedleston Road/Duffield Road. The driver was Caucasian and drove a white highways type truck.

Hoping someone out there can help :shock:
old_windbag

Re: DERBY ROAD RAGE

Post by old_windbag »

Perhaps explain as you have here, the incident to the police. There may be cctv footage of the event and vehicle that they can access. Then perhaps a check of his record, vehicle and maybe a visit to give him advice or more. I reported a car for the first time in my life a few months ago. The police took all details, it was sorned but driving like loony on highway and i had several events with it. The police said they couldnt do much but would keep detail on computer as reported. Their records said not on sorn but gov. Uk said it was even 6wks later. But after 2wks of report i have never seen car since even though a local driver. So something may have happened.

I think its worth a call to the police.
csharp354

Post by csharp354 »

Thanks.
I have reported it online so I may get a call back.
I am still in shock that this has happened. Imagine what the driver would have done if there was an actual infringement?
I have never ever seen anyone so far gone before. He must have had one hell of a day to be so wound up!!
Chris.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I recommend writing down as much as you can recall, now, including a description of the driver, so that you don't forget, or can use your notes if the police call for more information.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69901 may have some information of value. Although that is focused upon charges for bad driving, the process is similar for other types of charges, except that a Notice of intended prosecution (NIP) is only required for offences under the road traffic act. So, it wouldn't apply to public disorder charges.

However, if you do not act quickly, CCTV footage will no longer be available. If it is to be used, it probably needs to be requested within a few days of the incident.

I would follow up in person, and press them to act quickly. If you tell them that you have been assaulted, it may be taken more seriously. If you were hit with spit or objects thrown at you, it may also be considered battery.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Report it. There maybe CCTV, get a camera for future use.
personally am surprised you have not received abuse before.... having often been on the receiving end.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PH

Post by PH »

Glad you've reported it and I hope it gets followed up, please chase it if it isn't. You may be pleased to know that Derbyshire police have agreed to be involved with operation close pass after some initial reluctance to do so.
csharp354

Post by csharp354 »

eileithyia wrote:Report it. There maybe CCTV, get a camera for future use.
personally am surprised you have not received abuse before.... having often been on the receiving end.

I have been abused before many many many times but this was at an unprecedented level without any justification whatsoever :shock: On reflection it would appear that my crime was to be on a bike, in the cycle box, well lit and NOT jumping a red light. My report has now been passed to the Crime Management Unit so hopefully it has legs :o
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

IMHO riding up the inside of a queue of traffic is rude and shouldn't be done.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

freeflow wrote:IMHO riding up the inside of a queue of traffic is rude and shouldn't be done.

I guess that's why there are so many cycle lanes on the kerb.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

IMHO riding up the inside of a queue of traffic is rude and shouldn't be done.

You're entitled to hold that opinion of course, but don't be surprised if a great many people have an alternative opinion.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

freeflow wrote:IMHO riding up the inside of a queue of traffic is rude and shouldn't be done.

so why do we have feeder cycle lanes on the left side of traffic feeding into the advanced cycle stop area?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
csharp354

Post by csharp354 »

For the record in Derby at the Five Lamps: -
The Five Lamps road in Derby is a mini one way orbital and comprises 2 lanes. At the top the left hand lane goes off to the University and the right hand lane goes up to Allestree (A6). I take the right hand lane. There is a cycle lane to the left hand lane which is fine if you are going to the University, if not you are very vulnerable as you have to get across a lane to be in the correct lane when it splits. So the majority of riders going to Allestree go up the middle of the 2 lanes as this is the SAFEST option. Use the cycle lane and you run the risk of being knocked off when you find yourself in the WRONG lane.
I hope this is clear as to why I went up the inside that was actually the middle?
https://www.bing.com/maps?FORM=Z9LH3
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The only thing I would add to what's already been posted is your use of the word "inside" wasn't immediately clear to me and may confuse others.

I took your original description to mean that you had filtered to the left of all the traffic ie more or less in the gutter. If you filtered between two lanes of traffic, I'd make that clear in any statement or explanation you give to the police. If there are more than two lanes, make it clear which two you were between (your link doesn't work for me.)

I'm not making an issue about your position on the road, just saying it's important to be 100% clear to others to avoid confusion eg if the other party is traced and interviewed.
csharp354

Post by csharp354 »

I actually cycled up the middle of the road but to the right of the while line so that I am in effect as left as I can be within the right hand lane. On the actual day traffic was at a stand still so I was quite relaxed moving up between two stationary columns of traffic. The lights were on red at the top so I moved across the first car from near side to off side so that the driver was aware of me. I positioned myself in the cycle box in line with the driver.

Hope this clarifies my actions?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In road use terms, 'inside' usually means as far left as possible; in the left lane, or close to the kerb
Going between lanes of traffic on a bicycle or motorcyle is usually referred to as 'filtering'.