It's green, so off we go - or do we?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

It's green, so off we go - or do we?

Postby rmurphy195 » 5 Nov 2017, 5:51pm

I'm referring to traffic lights, of course - and cyclists with clipless pedals.

So often I see the lights change, and the cyclist having waited there with, say, his left foot on the ground and his right foot clipped into the pedal - slowly move off, struggling to get his left foot clipped in, often looking down while he does it, often wobbling his way across the junction - then by the time the offending foot is clipped in he's still at walking pace halfway across the junction, oblivious to traffic and, more importantly, any RLJ that might be heading his way!. (I say he, 'cos it's usually blokes doing this, with the pedals set to the highest tension possible, giving the loud "clack" as the cleat goes into place)

Why?

The technique I use is to push off, pedal across the junction as fast as my legs can carry me with my unclipped foot on the pedal using my instep, then clip-in once I'm safely across the junction with a bit of momentum in case something goes wrong.

Thoughts anyone?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

old_windbag

Re: It's green, so off we go - or do we?

Postby old_windbag » 5 Nov 2017, 6:00pm

I think it's easier to ride on instep on an spd pedal( mtb style spd ). The shoes tend to have recessed cleat and the spd pedal is relatively flat. My race spd-r pedals are a different kettle of fish, the reverse of the pedal is slippy and the shoe with large cleat is not as easy to apply pressure when not clipped in. The sole of the shoe outside of the cleat has no grip, totally slippy, too much pressure on the wrong side of pedal and you can slip off which isn't very good in traffic. My vitus pedals were worst for this, the shimanos manageable. My mtd spds with recessed cleats great. I think that system is good on a tourer.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 5 Nov 2017, 6:10pm

get real pedals and shoes :wink: and keep the go-fast ones for when you wear lycra and are out for the day

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Nov 2017, 6:18pm

I usually,99.9% of the time,clip in to double sided SPDs on the first revolution of the cranks,the rest of the time I'm "in" on the second rev.
The only time I ever had a problem getting clipped in was about 10 years ago,when I somehow got a small stone trapped between sole rubber and cleat on my touring shoe when I'd put my foot down whilst stopped at a TL,so had to stop to remove it.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 5 Nov 2017, 6:24pm

Get a trike..... simples

meic

Postby meic » 5 Nov 2017, 6:30pm

You dont see it happening around here. If you are not producing power from the first strokes on our frequent hill starts, you fall off. So everybody knows how to keep the power on when they start.
Yma o Hyd

cycleruk

Postby cycleruk » 5 Nov 2017, 7:25pm

I use the instep with my SPD's until up to speed. You can also pull up with the clipped in pedal to propel you.
With my Look pedals they are very slippy on the reverse side so I'm very wary when setting off.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 5 Nov 2017, 8:25pm

My summer and winter club riding bikes both have Look Keos. These are a real pain in stop-start traffic and for town riding generally. They are perfect for club runs in the countryside where it is rare to have to stop at all.

This is one of the reasons why I prefer to commute on my touring bike, which has toeclips and I wear flat soled shoes. Easy to keep one foot strapped in and pedal on the flat of the left pedal until across the junction, where I can flip the pedal and get my foot in the toe clip.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 6 Nov 2017, 1:40am

reohn2 wrote:I usually,99.9% of the time,clip in to double sided SPDs on the first revolution of the cranks,the rest of the time I'm "in" on the second rev.

Ditto, though it's usually quicker. Doing the same route daily you get to know the light sequence so I look at other TLs on the junction so I'm ready to go when my lights change having finished faffing such as a quick drink or making an adjustment to my clothing etc having just set off from home.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Nov 2017, 8:17am

I pulled away from a junction the other day and missed my left foot going in promptly, and I did a wheelie as I accelerated away ................. with only one leg.

I don't find it an issue, unless on a steep hill. If I can, I'll use a wall or a lamp post or something to hold on rather than unclip.
Just here coming up through the lights in the village, there's a nice wall on the left, or even a sandwich board advert just past the white line.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52484 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall

old_windbag

Postby old_windbag » 6 Nov 2017, 9:38am

Mick F wrote:I don't find it an issue

But I think there is a difference between spd and racing style pedals. I find spd such a nice system with shoes that have recessed cleats hence the ability to walk easily in. On the other hand racing shoes normally have very slippy resinous stiff soles that have the large cleat very external, hence the duck walk. But the single sided pedal bodies are quite often slippery too and clipping in quickly is a little different to spd. I find even after years of doing it I'm tentative and when not clipped wary of putting too much pressure on the pedal as I know what can be the outcome. With spd I can still ride the pedal with the flat of the shoe, the body is flat'ish and the shoe has grip. But spd locates and clips with little effort.

tykeboy2003

Postby tykeboy2003 » 6 Nov 2017, 10:25am

I use plastic strapless toe-grips and old-school cage pedals with ordinary trainers. I simply set off and put my foot on the pedal, if my foot goes in the toe-grip, great, if not it will be on the other side of the pedal and I can then turn the pedal and get my toe in once away from the lights. Never been a problem for me and I don't walk awkwardly in my normal trainers.

Vorpal

Postby Vorpal » 6 Nov 2017, 11:24am

flat pedals? toe clips? ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 6 Nov 2017, 11:52am

Mine are road pedals with Campag Pro Fit on Mercian.
The Moulton has Speedplay Frogs.

The Frogs are absolutely brilliant. Double-sided of course plus being very very easy to clip in and out.
I'd fit them on Mercian but the stack height is so low, the saddle would have to come down half an inch and as I have an aero seatpin, the aero bit would be inside the seat lug or very close to it.

Having a low stack height means that both my feet touch the floor easily whereas they can't on Mercian and it's a stretch for just one foot.
Mick F. Cornwall

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 6 Nov 2017, 12:46pm

Mick F wrote:I don't find it an issue

But you don't commute in stop-start rush hour traffic.

I don't find it an issue on rides in the countryside, as I hardly ever have to stop and unclip. On a rush hour commute, you can be stopping every few hundred yards, so you'll be unclipping and clipping in quite often. I sometimes use a rail if there is one, to save having to unclip. I've even changed my commute route, so that I only hit traffic and traffic lights in the last half mile

I agree that SPD are easier than road pedals for stating off, but flat pedals or pedals with toe clips are easier still, IME.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com