One fairy, one angel.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

One fairy, one angel.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Rear wheel fairy visit this morning - on a relatively unpleasant bit of road to be sat around on.
And that's ignoring the low temperature.

Felt the rear go squirrelly and pulled over to check what was up - then a few seconds later a car pulls up ahead of me and out steps a gent. Turns out he works on the same park as me, and has been known to cycle home occasionally. Rearranged the car seats and gave me a lift the final mile...

Now I just need to go and fix the rear wheel in the safety of the space behind the building (or I might wheel it round and do it in the foyer where it's warmer...)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Re: One fairy, one angel.

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pulled it into the kitchen - the fire door is wide enough. Only patch I had was the last of what I consider to be a poor batch. I need to decide on a new model of repair kit.

Swapped in my sidewinder tube along with an offcut of t shirt material as a mini boot, and have tied the old tube around the off side stays, held up into the rack by the permanent bungee. Should get me home, where I can take the rear wheel out in relative comfort and replace the tyre (sidewall damage)...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well, new tyre installed. Repair kits ordered...

I have to say that the sidewinder was fine. Pressure was a bit low (on purpose), and at very low speeds I could feel that it wasn’t a normal tyre - I think the crossover just felt a bit ‘lumpy’. This was only at very low speed - and wasn’t an issue at all at speed.
The benefit of being able to tie up the failed tube and use the sidewinder is clear though... definitely a good product....
Username

Post by Username »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Rear wheel fairy visit this morning - on a relatively unpleasant bit of road to be sat around on.
And that's ignoring the low temperature.

Felt the rear go squirrelly and pulled over to check what was up - then a few seconds later a car pulls up ahead of me and out steps a gent. Turns out he works on the same park as me, and has been known to cycle home occasionally. Rearranged the car seats and gave me a lift the final mile...

Now I just need to go and fix the rear wheel in the safety of the space behind the building (or I might wheel it round and do it in the foyer where it's warmer...)

What went wrong with the wheel?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bad writing on my part - just a tear in the tyre sidewall.
The rear wheel in question houses a hub motor, so changing the tyre is a bit of a faff - which is why I have the sidewinder tube.