Cycle route 22

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roberts8

Cycle route 22

Post by roberts8 »

We thought a trip along Cycle route 22 from Leatherhead to Guildford would be a good afternoon ride. We got past Abinger Hammer and in spite of having os maps we made a mistake and ended up in a large forest area near Pitch Hill. We bailed out and headed for Ockley Station and missed the train by 30 seconds. An hour later we were cycling home realising with one error how quickly things can go pear shaped and I thought I was ok with maps. We had lights and food so no problems but we really enjoyed the day, getting lost for a while, sorting it and having the right gear really made us feel alive. Just thought I would share this and accept any flak that comes our way.
PRL

Re: Cycle route 22

Post by PRL »

Sounds fun. Is Sustrans route 22 supposed to be finished or were you looking at where it will be going ?
There are those on here who have a rather negative attitude to Sustrans but any excuse to go cycling will do.
These days I supplement maps (the Surrey Cycle Guides are good if you can still get hold of them) with OSMAND on my phone. That will guide me in an unmarked junction of dubious paths in a wood !
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I was expecting something like Avenue Verte which I used in the summer. The route is very mixed and some signs overgrown so we will have another go at it as it is a good idea but I had thought about using it for a loaded touring bike ride to Portsmouth ferries but no way. I like the sound of OSMAND and will look into it. Do you leave your phone in your pocket or mount it on the bike?
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

PRL wrote:There are those on here who have a rather negative attitude to Sustrans but any excuse to go cycling will do.

Well its just as well the OP was going for an adventurous day out rather than travelling to a job interview in Guildford.

Whether you think the NCN is acceptable basically depends on whether you consider a bicycle as a mode of transport or a toy.
Username

Post by Username »

Pete Owens wrote:
PRL wrote:There are those on here who have a rather negative attitude to Sustrans but any excuse to go cycling will do.

Well its just as well the OP was going for an adventurous day out rather than travelling to a job interview in Guildford.

Whether you think the NCN is acceptable basically depends on whether you consider a bicycle as a mode of transport or a toy.

Could you elaborate?
mjr

Post by mjr »

roberts8 wrote:I like the sound of OSMAND and will look into it. Do you leave your phone in your pocket or mount it on the bike?

Personally, I usually leave it in my pocket and use the voice prompts, but I know someone who prefers hers in the map pocket of her stem bag and set to turn the screen on around 15 seconds before turns.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.