turning right

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: turning right

Post by MikeF »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
NUKe wrote:the extra hand signals are usually enough to say to the motorist not to attempt the manoeuvre.

Not in my experience. I've been overtaken with my arm out, looking at the driver and the driver looking back at me and simply carrying on.
And me. It's quite scary. :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Happens to me often. particuarly when I am overtaking parked cars, an out stretched arm turns into a two fingered salute. :evil:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Patrickpioneer wrote:why is it that sometimes when I am turning right, indicate, move to near centre white line, people then overtake me in their cars?
I don't understand the mentality, what if another car turned out of the junction? I just don't understand it all .

Bizarrely, some cyclists are actually campaigning for the HC to be changed so that overtaking vehicles have priority over those turning across their path. If the campaign is successful we are all going to have to get used to this.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pete Owens wrote:Bizarrely, some cyclists are actually campaigning for the HC to be changed so that overtaking vehicles have priority over those turning across their path. If the campaign is successful we are all going to have to get used to this.

Bizarrely, some cyclists don't believe that overtaking vehicles already sometimes have priority over those turning across their path, despite previous attempts at patient explanation, plus they take almost every opportunity to shoehorn their criticism of campaigners for anything they regard as heretical non-vehicularism into every discussion. As more cycling campaigns are successful, we are all going to have to get used to this.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

Well it seems the driver that overtook the OP has one supporter here.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

MikeF wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:
NUKe wrote:the extra hand signals are usually enough to say to the motorist not to attempt the manoeuvre.

Not in my experience. I've been overtaken with my arm out, looking at the driver and the driver looking back at me and simply carrying on.
And me. It's quite scary. :shock:

The classic I remember was when I was out with a friend on a quiet road. We both signalled in plenty of time and were already on the white line when a car horn sounded behind us and the only car in sight crossed the road to pass us on the right. :?
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

One of my scariest ever near misses was this type of incident. I was taking my kids to the zoo. I think Iwas pulling the trailer with my hybrid. The entrance to the zoo is on a busy B road going into Colchester. I had a lovely, quite rural route going there, except for the last mile and a bit on this B road. There is a hill going up to the entrance, so it's a bit of work to get going after a stop with the trailer.

I was approaching the turn for the zoo, and stuck my arm out to signal for the driver behind, but then I had to stop and wait for oncoming traffic. I had to wait for a bit, maybe 5 cars, then there was a large enough opening. I was all ready to go & had signalled again, in anticipation. I looked over my shoulder, made eye contact with the driver who seemed to be waiting patiently for me, and pushed off. Almost as soon as I was moving, the driver that had been waiting behind decided it was the perfect time to zip around me. I heard the engine revving and saw the car in the corner of my peripheral vision and slammed on the brakes, throwing me into the handlebars (lucky the trailer was there to keep the bike down!). The loose rear mudflap on the car flicked my front tyre as the car whizzed past, it was that close. By the time I sorted myself out after the emergency stop, cars were coming from both directions again. The drivers, who had seen what happened, very kindly waited for me to get across.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Pastychomper wrote: on the white line when a car horn sounded behind us and the only car in sight crossed the road to pass us on the right. :?

Oh they used the car horn. That's a signal for you to vaporise. :evil: Also used when a driver squeezes by you with just inches to spare. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=106285
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

This doesn't seem to happen to me. When I'm turning right, I signal, move to the right lane, and then continue indicating. I don't find that cars overtake me once I have moved right.

As a bit of an aside, at this intersection I used to continue straight, but had too many people left hook me at the intersection. No actual impacts, but some close calls. I now turn right at this intersection, moving over into the right lane. While I move further out into the traffic, I have not had any close calls. And, returning to the topic of the thread, I've never had anyone overtake me during this, while I have had left hooks quite frequently if I just go straight.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Annoying Twit wrote:This doesn't seem to happen to me. When I'm turning right, I signal, move to the right lane, and then continue indicating. I don't find that cars overtake me once I have moved right.

As a bit of an aside, at this intersection I used to continue straight, but had too many people left hook me at the intersection. No actual impacts, but some close calls. I now turn right at this intersection, moving over into the right lane. While I move further out into the traffic, I have not had any close calls. And, returning to the topic of the thread, I've never had anyone overtake me during this, while I have had left hooks quite frequently if I just go straight.

Never cycled in Leicester but I can't imagine that driving standards are any higher there than where I am in South Derbyshire/North West Leicestershire. Maybe city drivers are a bit more used to cyclists, slow moving traffic and delays so apply a bit more patience? Mind you I've done plenty of cycling in Bristol and I'd say it's much worse than round here.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Never cycled in Leicester but I can't imagine that driving standards are any higher there than where I am in South Derbyshire/North West Leicestershire. Maybe city drivers are a bit more used to cyclists, slow moving traffic and delays so apply a bit more patience? Mind you I've done plenty of cycling in Bristol and I'd say it's much worse than round here.

I find that driving is very 'situation specific'. E.g. in that intersection, I seem to be able to cross the traffic to the right hand lane and turn right without any problem. But, if I continue on straight, then at the major left turn (not the first one visible in my link) I will frequently be left hooked. I don't think it's the quality of drivers that are making a difference, but the actual specifics of the road.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Annoying Twit wrote:I don't think it's the quality of drivers that are making a difference, but the actual specifics of the road.

You could be right there mate, there's one particular junction where I've frequently been overtaken while turning right. On the other hand it could simply be related to the fact that it was a junction where I almost always turned right....