New West Sussex Section of NCN2

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

New West Sussex Section of NCN2

Post by MikeF »

Anyone in the Littlehampton Bognor area know how this is progressing?
I commented on the original design shown in the video. All the usual errors of cycle route design by those who don't cycle, eg no bus stop bypass, sharp curves, no continuity across junctions, no specific width, no design speed etc. It was basically a typical West Sussex CC bodge up. I am interested to know whether they have totally ignored comments and stuck with their original design.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Re: New West Sussex Section of NCN2

Post by mjr »

I guess it will come down to whether the A259 is built according to the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (now with decent-looking cycleways since Oct 2016's IAN 195/16) or some West Sussex County Council [inappropriate word removed] standards.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jake369

Re: New West Sussex Section of NCN2

Post by jake369 »

I'm quite looking forward to this build - that stretch isn't the most comfortable and the current cyclepath off the road bridge from Littlehampton suddenly stops at railings at the roundabout which leaves you not only trapped but in the wrong place. The NCN2 current route takes you on a nice quiet detour but is annoying to have to do so many extra miles, I don't use it much. The best route for NCN2 would be to keep along the seafront, but that is one or many battles locally where the mostly seafront hugging route has to go inland because of objectives.

I don't suppose there is much need for bus stop bypasses as it is pretty remote, the corners and junctions mean you will have to slow down and give way - which I can do. I only assume it will be similar to other new paths in that area which are very wide (Felpham relief road)