Three Cyclists Badly Injured Fixby

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonhill

Three Cyclists Badly Injured Fixby

Post by simonhill »

Not sure if this is the place to report this.

Sorry, I don't have much more info as I am currently touring abroad. I picked this up on the BBC news page, but it has now dropped off front page. Hopefully someone with better access can fill in details.

From what I read 4 guys going in single file as a car turned right straight into them.

Knowing the ficcle nature of the press this may not get another mention.

Hope they make a speedy recovery.
eileithyia

Re: Three Cyclists Badly Injured Fixby

Post by eileithyia »

Sad news indeed, a quick look at google maps shows that turning right would have meant the vehicle was travelling SE... possible low sun.... but still no excuse... you should drive within the capabilites and conditions of the road.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Flinders

Re: Three Cyclists Badly Injured Fixby

Post by Flinders »

No matter what the lighting conditions, a driver ought to be able to see several cyclists. And as has been said above, in any case, you drive to the road conditions. Sometimes that means you may have to slow right down- or even stop - when just driving in a straight line. If you're turning across another lane, then you have to be even more careful than usual if the light is bad- though it is not physically possible to have the light in your eyes throughout a 90 degree turn. There is even a right turn lane, if that's the direction in question, so stopping should be very safe even if there was traffic driving close behind.