Must overtake, bicycle...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Re: Must overtake, bicycle...

Post by meic »

As somebody who obeys the speed limit, I have quite a few of these stupid overtakes while driving my car.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

Several posts highlight this as a driver problem, but my experience on the local shared use paths suggests it isn't confined to them. Of course the dangers posed and the possible consequences are not usually comparable, but it isn't so much a case of "some people turn into idiots behind the wheel" as "some people are idiots"
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I do get rather pee'd off with the "overtake then hit brakes I'm doing a right turn" brigade. I see that a lot but it highlights the number of car drivers who simply aren't thinking ahead but rather only one object in front of them. For many the car driving test is just a gateway to getting from A to B rather than a starting point for a skill to improve and enjoy through their life.

Yesterday I saw a prime example whilst on a bus. The driver needed to turn into a left hand junction, the cars approaching that junction did not slow/stop to allow him to get the bus turned in so he was stuck half way into the junction waiting for them to clear it's mouth. Their lack of foresight in not accounting for his size and need for more road space to turn in was evident. It could be argued the onus was on him but he had started turning in before they had arrived on the scene.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone here worked as a driving instructor and care to comment?

Better wait till I calm down or mods will delete my post
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

oldmanonabike wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone here worked as a driving instructor and care to comment?

Better wait till I calm down or mods will delete my post

About 20 or so years ago when I took my car test, I went through half a dozen driving schools before finding an instructor who knew the Highway Code as well as I did (I had a motorcycle licence for about 6 years beforehand and had cycled for 10 years prior to getting that licence). I found a good (ex motorcyclist) instructor but on the date of my test, a different instructor accompanied me to the test centre.

About half-way to the test: I was approaching a cyclist ahead, who was approaching a parked car on the near-side. The cyclist was shoulder-checking. I ensured I had a clear road behind and offside, eased off the accelerator and allowed the cyclist to overtake the parked car. I followed safely and overtook the cyclist as he moved away from my line and back towards the kerb.

I spent the rest of the drive to the test centre arguing with the instructor, who insisted that if I did that on the test, I would fail due to 'Lack of progress'.

This attitude is built into the teaching of driving in this country.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

What a load of crap
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Walter Kempowski, one of my favourite authors, failed the test for going too slowly
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Walter Kempowski, one of my favourite authors, failed the test for going too slowly

Oh I wasn't going too slowly, driving up to the limit wherever safe (note that I had been a motorcyclist for some years ;) ). His problem was just that I gave way to a vulnerable road user who needed the space in front of me to continue his progress.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:Several posts highlight this as a driver problem, but my experience on the local shared use paths suggests it isn't confined to them. Of course the dangers posed and the possible consequences are not usually comparable, but it isn't so much a case of "some people turn into idiots behind the wheel" as "some people are idiots"

And I would follow that up by saying those idiots are allowed to carry on driving after displaying such continual idiotic behaviour
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'm not going to blame instructors, it's so long since I took my test that I think passing simply involved correctly identifying a car and a squirrel.

Idiocy is most definitely the main problem. I interact with a lot of cars over 2 hours every day so you don't need too large a percentage of idiots who when given the chance can demonstrate their idiocy.
And I certainly don't think cyclists are generally any better, I just interact with less of them and obviously their stupidity has a larger Darwinian content - and to be fair I occasionally surprise myself with my own idiocy but in my defence I usually recognise it as such and make an attempt at reform.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

I live just off a quiet estate road that is nice and wide so it's a favourite place for driving instructors and their charges to frequent, quite honestly the standard of instruction is woeful and that isn't one or two, this is at least half a dozen different money grabbing cowboys from local and national organisations. Not content with not bothering with indicators anymore when reversing, either back up the road, around a parked vehicle or into a side road, quite often the instructor allows the learner to overtake parked cars directly into my path (when it's clear long before there isn't room/endangering me), don't bother with indicating when overtaking, pulling out without looking and a fair few other mistakes that can easily lead to a serious injury or death.
Yes some of the responsibility is on the learner but the instructor must have control, the instructor must be making the learner aware of the hazard they are presenting to others by their failure to acknowledge such BEFORE making that manoeuvre that endangers another person or fails to communicate to others their intention, it's not as if I've sprung out of nowhere, there's ample time to see in advance, it's plain mickey poor guidance if any.
And yet I see some improvements, some motorists are waiting, are giving a nice wide line in town, aren't bombing past at a stupid speed to get to the red light in front, but these are in the minority and they aren't younger/new drivers. The more people we get on to bikes and on the road, the more people who have to drive at some point will then behave in a manner they would want to be treated when on a bike themselves.
This doesn't always work out because there are a significant number of MGIF cyclists who ride their bikes like they drive, too many club cyclists, wannabe racers and Strava Wonkers who are selfish dangerous morons who happen to be on two wheels. Take their stupid plastic hats away from them and they might actually tone it down a bit, well there's no might about it. :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I remember my driving test 30 years ago, I baulked another vehicle (a Volvo, I remember that too) by turning across its path so it had to slow down a bit (no emergency stop), the examiner asked me about this at the end. I said I should have waited, and I passed

I think I may have got better, now I wait if in doubt, or I avoid certain manouvres where possible by going another way. In general I am glad I do not drive much. I have an idealised view of gliding along the motorway on holiday, very relaxed, but that is CD cognitive dissonance unfortunately

Can't remember much else from my test but I would like to read driving test memories from anyone who still has them
Diolch

(Why, is it always a Volvo?)
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sorry, not always a Volvo! Audis [inappropriate language removed]!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Sorry, not always a Volvo! Audis

Sometimes it is even a Nissan Micra, that is what I was driving :(
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Walter Kempowski, one of my favourite authors, failed the test for going too slowly

I failed for the same reason, never driven since
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!