Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Flinders

Re: Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Post by Flinders »

Elli123 wrote:Thank you for all the replies.

Its put my mind at ease abit but still feel so bad, I may not be at fault but I hope he wasnt hurt or damaged his bike, will be extra careful when doing emergency brake from now on, though todays incident couldn't have been avoided as I had to stop, carrying on driving with kids about to cross road could have resulted in a much worse scenario. I guess you live and learn. Will be avoiding that lollipop ladys route from now on as its not the first time shes been too busy talking to someone then suddenly steps out on the road when a cars just about to turn into side road causing them to break suddenly.

I understand what you're saying about being careful, but, as you clearly realise, the whole thing about a genuine emergency stop (one where you have to stop immediately to avoid serious danger to you or to others) is that you have to do it immediately, regardless. If someone is too close behind you, that's their problem. If someone comes out into the road in front of you (a child for instance) you'd need to brake before thinking, as thinking would make the braking too late.
I also think that lollipop lady needs a bit of training (to put it mildly).
tykeboy2003

Re: Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Elli123 wrote:What do I do??

Forget about it, the cyclist has (I assume) and apart from failing to anticipate the lollipop lady (which is forgivable) you did nowt wrong.

Cyclists sometimes forget that cars can stop rather more quickly than they can (I've done it once many years ago with the same result as in your incident). Hopefully the cyclist will have taken note....