Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elli123

Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Post by Elli123 »

I have been searching the internet all morning for any help or reassurance that I am not completely at fault regarding an incident this morning.

As a motorist I am usually very careful around cyclists and respect them on the road, give them space and I dont overtake if its risky to do so.

This morning however I had a cyclist slam into the back of my car. He was fine and no damage to my car or his bike I assume as he rode off.

Having dropped my kids off school I was heading back home and indicated to move, all fine. As I approached side road to turn left, gping at about 15mph, I indicated left but just as I was about to turn the lollipop lady decides to suddenly step out onto road after chatting away with someone when she realised there are children approaching road. I am friendly with her and always stop to let her get kids across but this morning I had to suddenly brake as carrying on would have meant i hit her or a pedestrian. All was fine until I hear a slam on the back of my car and saw a cyclist slammed into the back of my car at what I assume was a high speed.

I guess he saw my indicator, assumed I was turning left and decided to pass by but I suddenly stopped due to lolipop lady and the poor guy hit back of my car.

I was shocked as asked him if he was ok, he said he was and seemed more concerned about my car being damaged. I told him I care that he is ok not the car, he said he really is fine and with that rode off.

My car has tiny scratch on back which I honestly dont care about. I am just worried about if I should have given him my details or reported incident to police, he didn't ask for any insurance nor I his, he said he was not injured and rode off after I apologised so many times but he seemd fine about it.

I am so worried now that he may have been injured and not realised it at the time and that makes me feel so guilty. I feel to blame as I broke suddenly but I partly blame lolllipop lady for jumping in front of my car when there was no traffic and she could have easily let me pass before making me do an emergency brake. Also I assume cyclist was going very fast as he was no where to be seen moments before when I pulled out from oarking spot and this makes me worry he hit me at high speed and hurt himself.

Sorry for long ramble but I feel so guilty although I dont think im 100% to blame. My indicator was on and brake lights work. do you think the cyclist really was ok and is there any need to report this to police, there were witnesses but I didnt speak to anyone and the cyclist rode off before I had chance to confrm all is ok, he didnt take my details either. What do I do??
pwa

Re: Motorist needs advice on incident inolving cyclist

Post by pwa »

Firstly, from what you say it sounds a bit like you did something approaching an Emergency Stop. No vehicle (including a bicycle) should be so close to the back of your vehicle that they cannot stop in time if you stop quickly and unexpectedly. So if I understand your account correctly, you were not to blame unless you pulled out into the path of another road user in a way that required them to brake.

The only way you could be at fault is if you pulled out into the path of a cyclist who was cycling at a reasonable speed, which may for instance mean 30mph in a 30mph zone. Strictly speaking speed limits do not apply to non-motorised traffic, but you should allow for cycles to be travelling as fast as cars where they can. Did you look in the mirror as you pulled out?

It is entirely up to you how you deal with this now, but since the cyclist went away without leaving details, and it appears no harm was done, if it were me I would not report it. Maybe make a note of potential witnesses in case you need them in the future, but I think that unlikely.

A cup of tea may be in order.
Last edited by pwa on 24 Nov 2017, 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Looks like the cyclist was going too fast and too close

Go and talk to the lollipop lady, she might know who else saw the incident

I think there is a recommendation to exchange contact info even if there is no apparent damage or injury
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
meic

Post by meic »

I think the cyclist may have just been happy to get away before you reconsidered about the tiny scratch on the back of your car not being important.

As far as insurance and legal responsibility goes, hard to see how you can be in trouble for stopping for a lollipop person, you are legally obliged to do so. Pretty hard to see how the cyclist could make any case against you when it is their responsibility to keep a safe space and a lookout to what is happening in front.

Morally you may be feeling a bit of guilt because that final bit of braking was a bit sharp. Personally I place the ENTIRE blame on anybody following somebody else without leaving enough space and paying enough attention to deal with any such event. The civil law is never as clear cut as that and will apportion some responsibility if the extreme braking was not necessary. I imagine that almost all judges would consider stopping for a lollipop lady (even a rather rapid one) as necessary.
Yma o Hyd
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I witnessed a similar accident, where a driver braked suddenly after spotting a free parking space and a cyclist rode into the back of her car. The car was undamaged (I don't think she even bothered getting out of the car to look), but the bike did sustain some damage (bent rear mech). I as in my car and gave the lad a lift to the nearest bike shop and he was soon on his way again.

I think its just one of those things. You should give enough room to brake if a car stop suddenly, but you don't expect it to happen, so may be slow to react. I agree that the motorist was not to blame here.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

If anyone should be feeling guilty it should be person that caused you to stop suddenly, but it could just have easily have been a child running out that you stopped for. I think we all at times travel too close to stop in the distance, but have to accept the responsibility when it goes wrong. I think the cyclist being concerned about you car was their acceptance of this.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If I ran into the back of a car on my bike, or driving, I would generally consider that I was following too closely, or not paying sufficient attention.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamster

Post by hamster »

Agreed, it's hard to think why or how you were at fault. Assuming you were in a normal size car, the cyclist would likely be able to see over your roof somewhat and therefore notice the lollipop lady too.
Elli123

Post by Elli123 »

Thank you for all the replies.

Its put my mind at ease abit but still feel so bad, I may not be at fault but I hope he wasnt hurt or damaged his bike, will be extra careful when doing emergency brake from now on, though todays incident couldn't have been avoided as I had to stop, carrying on driving with kids about to cross road could have resulted in a much worse scenario. I guess you live and learn. Will be avoiding that lollipop ladys route from now on as its not the first time shes been too busy talking to someone then suddenly steps out on the road when a cars just about to turn into side road causing them to break suddenly.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Emergency braking is just that - it’s why we should all leave a gap ahead of us. Cyclist may we’ll have seen indicator, then not reacted to the brake lights because they thought you were just slowing for the corner...

That doesn’t put blame on you at all (unless you’ve pulled out and stopped in very short order) but it does illustrate what might have been happening - you can’t be looking behind you when doing an emergency stop.
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 24 Nov 2017, 3:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
meic

Post by meic »

If the positions were reversed and it had been a cyclist who stopped for a lollypop lady and a car had driven into the back of them, most of us would be offering advice on how to claim for damage done to the bike and some would be calling for the motorist to be charged for driving without due care.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote:If the positions were reversed and it had been a cyclist who stopped for a lollypop lady and a car had driven into the back of them, most of us would be offering advice on how to claim for damage done to the bike and some would be calling for the motorist to be charged for driving without due care.

It's more than likely that this is now history, but if the rider were to have a different version, possibly reinforced with some legal advice from other cyclists, they might already have contacted the police. Who knows?
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Elli123 wrote:Will be avoiding that lollipop ladys route from now on as its not the first time shes been too busy talking to someone then suddenly steps out on the road when a cars just about to turn into side road causing them to break suddenly.

I think someone needs to have a word with the lollipop lady as her technique sounds rather unsafe - she may end up being hit herself.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Had I been you, and the vehicle behind was a car, the insurance claim would have automatically put the driver behind at fault.

From what you have written you've acted correctly - braked to avoid colliding with something (pedestrians in this case) and left the rider/driver behind to do what is necessary. Then forget about it and not worry (if you can!).

Being involved in this sort of incident can be unsettling - I know, I've had several collisions of this nature in the last 50 years of driving, mostly about 20-30 years ago when I commuted into Birmingham town centre along the main Bristol road. All the incidents were when I braked to avoid something (a child that ran in front of my car, a car pulling in front of me and so on) except for one where I was waiting at a red light on a pelican crossing and someone drove into the back of my car!

Years before in my motorbiking days I used to get very close to car back bumpers - scares me half to death now when I think how stupid that was!

I can remember taking a Defensive Driving course, we were asked what we thought it might be about. My (rather cynical I thought) reply was "Making sure that if the vehicle behind you has an accident you only have damage to the rear of your car, not the front!". Turned out I was spot-on!

All you can do - all you need do - is make a note of what happened, and the date and time, and any witnesses, including the crossing patrol person. And settle down with a nice mug of hot sweet tea and a couple of (chocolate) digestives, and congratulate yourself on not running over the traffic patrolperson!

End of ramble :roll:
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Agree with the above except the choice of digestives;

Tea - Plain Digestives

Coffee - Chocolate Digestives

:wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)