Warning Newton Abbot Race Course Cyclepath Black Ice!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Warning Newton Abbot Race Course Cyclepath Black Ice!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Ten days later and can't walk without crutches.
Been to ED twice now for further X-rays but nothing.
Both doctors I have seen and GP over phone are a bit surprised I an still not that mobile.
2ND visit to ED was after GP telcon, suspects occult fracture.
Its still groin pain and trying to get into physio at moment.

Any one ever fallen off bike and did Not break anything but could not walk after ten days :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I have been giving it some thought..steady Eddie :)
Doc says were you clipped in?
I said no, but I was in a way but not clippless, amounts to the same though, I have come to the conclusion now that my foot was down or going down on the pedal and when I fell the pedal was forced up.
This is the only way I can explain why a fall onto my hip (femur) which is slightly tender still is, had no effect to my injuries as a break / fracture would of given same symptoms which I have.
Its obvious to me that groin strain where all the ligaments join the pelvis in pubic bone area is where the damage has occurred.
Its going to take ages as I still cant walk without crutches, a small fracture at base of pelvis which was original diagnosis, would heel and clear up. I see months before I could probably return to normal :(
http://diseasespictures.com/groin-muscle/
Attachments
Groin-muscle.jpg
rjb

Post by rjb »

A fellow club rider had a similar injury recently. Slid off on a slippery corner. It's taken him 5 weeks to get back on his bike. He's had physio and hydrotherapy. ie 3 Phsio sessions in a hot pool, which he says were extremely beneficial in getting him mobile. He's being extremely careful on the bike but is now walking with a noticeable lopsided action. You will get there but it takes time. Stick at it. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK "rjb" and thanks, I am thinking its going to be a long time.
I always said I fell onto my side so I think that every one I have seen up to now is looking for a damage to pelvis / femur.
It did not dawn on me till yesterday that a cycling accident could mean that there was a strong likelihood that this injury which I have which is groin (pain in that area) only when attempting to stand / walk and raise leg, has most likely come about through my leg being forced up / back when I fell onto side.
All I can remember and this is how it happened was one moment I was upright and a moment later I hit ground with a crash on my side, then instant pain in my hip / femur, last thing was hitting my head which at the time more concerned over.
Getting up after laying on floor and rolling onto back was very difficult.

So the mechanics of it is that if your foot is on pedal and if you lay bike down and pedal is down, it will be forced up / back / both depending on direction when fall of bike travel, but more likely every fall on to side.

I am 59 so I do notice that I am very minutely slower to react.
I fell / slipped on ice, ice unlike a slippery surface has zilch friction with tyres and that narrow (unless you have something special)?
The time to fall would be very quick indeed, so from upright to landing would be very close to freefalling that short distance?
In other words how long does it take for a marble to drop 4 - 5 feet as my head hit last after my body as I do recall.
https://www.angio.net/personal/climb/speed
So about 20 K/hour when I hit floor? Maybe a bit less.

The penny dropped when GP said "were you clipped in" I said No, but of course even with my clipped pedals, and even with no retention, if your foot is on pedal then the pedal is forced then very likely that your foot will be forced, if the direction of the pedal forced against your will is up on the bike.

I naturally said no to question because I don't use clippless and the expression of clipped in comes from users of this type of retension.
I have never heard it being used for clipped old fashioned pedals, I am a dummy :oops: , and as this subject alone is some what controversial on whether clipped / clippless is harder to get feet out.

About 15 years ago I freefalled 2 metres off a ladder, I remember laying on the ground for some time.
Stupid I went down ladder forwards with hands on a bar 2 metres off ground, ladder moved away and I pivoted onto my front from a standing positing, then freefalled to floor with a belly flop.
I landed completely on my face hands knees and feet, did not hurt at all!

It all depends on what hits ground first.

Its quite a disability to not be able to walk unaided, very sobering.
Sorry if this is boring and whinging old fart :)

It would be a good if this information about my fall could be seen by medical profession, would probably lead to a more accurate diagnosis?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
More boring news :)

Anyway finally got to see a physiotherapist, and have a diagnosis-
http://www.cspc.co.uk/index.php/complex ... roin-pain/

Good news is that he has checked all my muscles in that area and he is happy that its probable a ligament strain in the pelvis, and I have specific exercises for that, so I am feeling more upbeat as you always suspect the worse, I was imagining damage to those adductor muscles / ligaments of the muscles, that would leave me with a weakness to show up when I get back on the bike.
Most probable when I fell that the pelvis has been squashed hence the ligament strain.
Managing one crutch but that is generating pain elsewhere on that side of pelvis, so only a short hop to the loo etc.

I am not missing the cold winter air, but I am missing lost time on bike to stay fit.
Could of been worse.

P.S. NHS Physiotherapist are first rate, wish I got there earlier but all suspected a fracture, pity they don't see you in-house at ED if X-ray proves inconclusive.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Hi NA glad you getting somewhere, ask the physio about hydrotheraphy if they have a pool near you. Be careful if you are relying on one crutch, after i broke my pelvis i was hobbling around on one crutch for 4 weeeks, the lopsided walking caused my knees to flare up and become very painful. When i got back on the bike it all cleared up. :D But getting my leg over the tandem was a nightmare to begin with. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
rjb wrote:Hi NA glad you getting somewhere, ask the physio about hydrotheraphy if they have a pool near you. Be careful if you are relying on one crutch, after i broke my pelvis i was hobbling around on one crutch for 4 weeeks, the lopsided walking caused my knees to flare up and become very painful. When i got back on the bike it all cleared up. :D But getting my leg over the tandem was a nightmare to begin with. :lol:

Yeh I have one sided new pain already :(

A thought for some of you.
I tend to sit on chair lets say enter a chair from one side.
Over the years you can end up with a lop side back and pelvis I have.
Same as crossing your legs.

Leg over with a bad back is bad enough already.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Its quite a disability to not be able to walk unaided, very sobering.

I know! However, if you get to the point where you can cycle but still need a stick to walk, it confuses the hell out of people. :twisted:

Glad you've found something that feels like progress. Hopefully you'll be back out there soon and it's not like you're missing great cycling weather... bit iffy today and worse forecast for the weekend up here.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

How are you doing now?

I once slid off and landed badly on my hip. Managed to ride home okay, but the pain got worse the next day and I couldn’t walk for nearly a week. Was off the bicycle for a couple of months. But it’s interesting that I had a couple of your symptoms, including the muscular-feeling pain in the groin where the saddle goes.

At least you’ve timed your fall for the worst weather! I did it in high summer.

Get well soon and find a nice project to keep yourself busy until you do.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Thanks for all your get well wishes.
Samuel D, yep you know how it feels, have you made a full recovery?
Making slow progress but there is some improvement.
Like a bad back cramping other muscles which try to take over from the ones shut down through pain.
Just walked about twenty short steps without pain and unaided so that's an improvement!
Many projects to do, important ones require me to be fully mobile though :(
Plenty of paper work that needs some attention.
Last year put on just a kilo or so which was good but I have probably already done that with X-mas still looming.
Euphoria creeps in when recovering which bites you in the rear later when you've over done it.
Many years living with back pain means I know not to move too fast too quickly.

I have kept my back pain at bay so I don't suffer much, as long as I keep up daily physio exercises, which means I don't need to take meds for pain.
That is what some doctors are saying recently that physiotherapy is the best option to suffers of back pain etc.
I made that decision several years ago to stop daily pain / anti inflammatory meds and just do exercises recommended by the physio.
Never looked back, but I have to do regular exercises and cycling brings instant relief if I am suffering from a type of sciatica neuralgia which is a problem with my sacrum which I damaged through heavy lifting, also facet joint nerve impingement, recent GP diagnosis, basically overuse and old age, I have learnt what to do and what you should never do,

Don't move back quickly when sitting, rising and crouching, getting out of bed first thing.
Don't bend at hip only when retrieving stuff off floor, use hands to support your weight, go down on one knee first.
Do use hand on a knee when getting off or on the floor, its better to roll onto front and use both hands bending knees (press up bending knees if you have the strength) and on to all fours hands and knees, then one leg onto foot and rest on knee to get up, you want to avoid twisting sidewards.

As soon as I am comfortable I will use my powered tread mill, but will keep off powered incline for now :)
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Samuel D, yep you know how it feels, have you made a full recovery?

Yes, no problems at all now.

When I was a teenager I cracked the head of my femur in a heavy fall on concrete (nothing to do with cycling), and unfortunately I fell off the bicycle on the same side. That may have made my recovery longer. Hopefully you’ll not be away from cycling for two months, even though your injury sounds more serious than mine.

Glad to hear you’ve observed some small progress.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Fell off three times in three miles on ice but not moving, but clipped in with old style clips, when I was sixteen, fell on left side always, like recently.
Can't remember much lasting effect, I am sure I continued cycling.
Was also knocked off bike in the same year by a car (only time ever) the car door handle hit my right hip right on the top of femur.
Got straight back on and that hip was stiff for a few days, buy never stopped cycling daily.
I was probably lucky back then.

As I said up post, a big shock when you fall onto hip, age comes into play, fortunately I still bounce and never have broken bones yet.
Bikes are looking sad :mrgreen:
RJS

Post by RJS »

Hi NA,
yep its a dangerous path, in the last couple of weeks two incidents where friends have been brought down by out of control dogs, then today a friend snagged his 'bars on an overhanging bramble from the racecourse, chipped rib and pelvis, split helmet and knocked out, concussed. Second incident on a cycle path for him, at 80 we're not sure he will be enticed out on his bike again :( How are you doing? mending I hope, and not too long before you are back on a bike.
Cheers.
Rob.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
OK Rob, Last few days I have managed to hobble around without crutches but is limited.
Spoke to GP to see that its what is expected, he was sympathetic etc.
They have ruled out all the nasty things.

I am wondering who is responsible for those cycle paths.
The bridge I fell on needs sorting before next time it freezes over.
I will try and find out.
There are other issues with those cycle paths from newton abbot to bovey tracy that need sorting but who to contact?
Have managed to get the council to clear some foliage on two occasions.

Dogs....especially on those paths.....best advice slow to a crawl and proceed past the ignorant owners who like their back to you in middle of path and be prepared for little Fido doing a kamikaze, don't crack a filling keeping your mouth slam shut!

There are some "Shared Path" signs there somewhere but I guess they leave their glasses at home.

Stay safe, hope your mate gets well soon.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Update.
I am actually walking without crutches, a day or so after talking to GP.
Stiff painful and only round the house but encouraging, feeling a bit more upbeat.
3 weeks after my fall.