Portishead to Clevedon

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Portishead to Clevedon

Post by brooksby »

What is the best route to get from Portishead to Clevedon that doesn't involve just going along the main road and hoping some @r$e doesn't rear-end you...? URL to a map would be helpful. Many thanks :D
Tigerbiten

Re: Portishead to Clevedon

Post by Tigerbiten »

For this type of thing, look on the Open Cycle Map. http://www.opencyclemap.org/
This shows all the National Cycle Routes.
Looks like NCR26 -> NCR410 follows mostly minor roads, but it's about twice as far as the direct route ...... :(

BikeHike http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php lets you swop between OCM and Google maps while showing OS map of the area.

Luck ........ :D
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Thank you! I've had a look, and I think following 410 seems best - I'm going from Pill, and didn't realise that I could pretty much cut Portishead out of it completely (410 goes Portbury to Clevedon, along the back lanes). Think I'll try that! :P
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes, NCR 410 (former Avon RR10) is fairly nice, although it has a lump (I think at Clapton-in-Gordano, which is where I'd join it if I were starting at Portishead, using Clapton Lane).

If you were going from Portishead, Nore Road and Down Road to Walton-in-Gordano is about ½ mile longer than the B road, which you then join for the last ¾ mile into Clevedon. I've done that in the evenings a few years ago. There was some talk about routing NCR 33 that way, but I think they hesitated because the B road gets a bit narrow somewhere along there.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Yep from pill to Clevedon I would use the cycle route 410.
It does get quite narrow in places, and at the time of year muddy. I often meet horses on that route.
Be aware when you come to the end of caswell lane that vehicles coming down Naish hill to your left are moving quite fast! It's a bit of a rush hour rat run. (15%)

Martin
whoof

Post by whoof »

I regularly ride the 410 to Clevedon and as above it's a nice route if aa bit muddy in places. If you want an alternative or do a loop the route below is OK. The road from the Sheepway past Aldi into Portishead can be busy but there is a shared cycle path alongside most of it. The section to the South West of Portishead is quiet with very nice view across the Severn Estuary.
Attachments
portishead.jpg
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

It's a nice ride along the coast road, past Sugarloaf Bay, the old Nautical School and on past Redcliffe Bay.
There is a bit of collar work going this way, but on a good day, the views out across the estuary are superb.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

From Pill I wouldn't go through Portishead, I'd go through Portbury and Clapton in Gordano. In Clevedon I'd stop at Scarlet's on the prom for cake and coffee. :)
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Thanks for your feedback everyone :D I went on the 410. So: through Portbury village, out the other end and under the motorway to Naish Hill, then on *tiny* lane all the way to Clevedon. It was very muddy in places, due to all the farms, but it felt like riding in some period drama - in my journey both ways I think I met a total of two cyclists, two horses, one white van, and three cars :lol: It only took me a bit over a half hour to get to my destination at the Portishead end of Clevedon (I'm not the fastest rider). Very pleasant ride.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

brooksby wrote:Thanks for your feedback everyone :D I went on the 410. So: through Portbury village, out the other end and under the motorway to Naish Hill, then on *tiny* lane all the way to Clevedon. It was very muddy in places, due to all the farms, but it felt like riding in some period drama - in my journey both ways I think I met a total of two cyclists, two horses, one white van, and three cars :lol: It only took me a bit over a half hour to get to my destination at the Portishead end of Clevedon (I'm not the fastest rider). Very pleasant ride.

I've cycled to Clevedon from Bedminster via Pill a few times and I think the last bit would have been on the road you went on. Very pleasant and a nice destination - icecream from the cafe on the corner across the road from the pier.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

As you are riding from Pill you could try this alternative.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26572446