Driver telling blatant lies to try and get ban shortened

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rmurphy195

Re: Driver telling blatant lies to try and get ban shortened

Post by rmurphy195 »

Some years ago while on Jury service, I read reports of the case in the local press in the evenings (the case lasted several weeks!).

What was printed wasn't quite was was said in court, but an interpretation of what was said, which was probably then edited. So the picture gained in court in many respects was quite different to the picture of the case presented in the newspaper. While I cannot remember the details, I certainly remember thinking, when reading some "quotes" of things said defendants and witnesses - "No, he didn't say that at all"!

A great learning curve for me on why jurors should focus on what is said in court, not on media reports, and of course why we were incarcerated for a couple of days with dire warnings about not reading newspapers or watching news reports, during a critical part of the trial!

Thus, IMO, there's little point in arguing the toss about what the defendant did or did not claim based on press reports, you can only do this by attending court and seeing/hearing for yourself what was said or reading a proper transcript.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Unfortunately, the link in the OP seems to have crashed at the moment (all the attention from members of this forum?)

Anyway, I've found another and I was encouraged by this from the judge.

The judge told Hill: "While life is hard for you being disqualified, I have to bear in mind that life is intolerably hard for Beth Tyson and Kate Hunter.

"The disqualification is part of the punishment - it is a significant part of the sentence, it is meant to hurt."

http://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/ ... ves-838711

With a bit more of that approach we might see fewer findings of special reasons etc., based on the flimsiest of grounds.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Unfortunately, the link in the OP seems to have crashed at the moment (all the attention from members of this forum?)

The judge told Hill: "While life is hard for you being disqualified, I have to bear in mind that life is intolerably hard for Beth Tyson and Kate Hunter.

"The disqualification is part of the punishment - it is a significant part of the sentence, it is meant to hurt."

With a bit more of that approach we might see fewer findings of special reasons etc., based on the flimsiest of grounds.

+1
Whilst I think rehabilitation should be part of any sentence the approach shown by this judge in the circumstances of this case is the correct one IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Barks

Post by Barks »

I travel all over the country by train, bus and bike - this chap does not need to drive at all and while it might seem an odd thing to say, he doesn’t need to drive to sell cars. I’ve bought many cars over the years and the ‘salesman’ has never needed to even go out of the showroom. If i needed a demo drive, I would be driving perhaps with the salesman next to me but he’s not driving. The punishment is too lax on all levels - he should have been in prison for longer and never be allowed to drive again.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:My broader point is that on occasion it seems that when a press report suits our pov we accept it as verbatim, and complete, and are willing to draw conclusions from it.

When the converse applies, the press is unreliable, biased, and much else.

What evidence do you have that I do that? Speak for yourself not for me.

"My broader point..." not "You are..." indicated I wasn't speaking for you, or about you, although you may have taken it thus.

You feel you have enough information to make the statements you have, as do others. I am uncomfortable, for reasons I have explained. A previous poster has pointed out first hand the differences they observed between press coverage and the actual court proceedings having been a sitting Juror.

I am aware of the ease with which I can slip into confirmation bias and make my best attempts to counter the tendency. Perhaps you are not subject to this, though.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Unfortunately, the link in the OP seems to have crashed at the moment (all the attention from members of this forum?)

+1
Whilst I think rehabilitation should be part of any sentence the approach shown by this judge in the circumstances of this case is the correct one IMHO.

As do I, for the record.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anyone got experience or views about *restorative justice*?

If I were a victim I would not want to meet the criminal I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone got experience or views about *restorative justice*?

I think that's the key - it needs to be victim - led. I note that one victim engaged with the process in this case, the other did not. One victim is clearly moving on, the other continues to be bitter, based on attributed quotes, and with good reason. Whether RJ would have assisted or not, who knows, but it has no chance of having a positive effect if the victim does not wish it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:My broader point is that on occasion it seems that when a press report suits our pov we accept it as verbatim, and complete, and are willing to draw conclusions from it.

When the converse applies, the press is unreliable, biased, and much else.

"My broader point..." not "You are..." indicated I wasn't speaking for you, or about you, although you may have taken it thus.

You feel you have enough information to make the statements you have, as do others. I am uncomfortable, for reasons I have explained. A previous poster has pointed out first hand the differences they observed between press coverage and the actual court proceedings having been a sitting Juror.

I am aware of the ease with which I can slip into confirmation bias and make my best attempts to counter the tendency. Perhaps you are not subject to this, though.

In your sentence starting "My broader point" replying to my post you used used the term we. That would seem to indicate you are attempting to speak for me. Just speak for yourself.
All you know is you can easily slip into so called confirmation bias not if or any other individual can or not. Perhaps you should restrict your attempts at pop psychology to yourself.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

In your sentence starting "My broader point" replying to my post you used used the term we. That would seem to indicate you are attempting to speak for me. Just speak for yourself.
All you know is you can easily slip into so called confirmation bias not if or any other individual can or not. Perhaps you should restrict your attempts at pop psychology to yourself.

Pop psychology it isn't. It's very real, very evident, and many are very unaware of it.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:"My broader point..." not "You are..." indicated I wasn't speaking for you, or about you, although you may have taken it thus.

Pop psychology it isn't. It's very real, very evident, and many are very unaware of it.

Oh I don't doubt that it exists. What I regard as pop psychology are your attempts to attribute it to people you don't know.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
RichK

Post by RichK »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anyone got experience or views about *restorative justice*?

When I got run over, I was asked if I'd be up for meeting them. After a bit of thought, I said yes. He said no (or his mom(?) said no - he was 16 at the time). That was the end of it.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Oh I don't doubt that it exists. What I regard as pop psychology are your attempts to attribute it to people you don't know.

I wasn't. With this clarified, I hope that can be an end to this.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:Pop psychology it isn't. It's very real, very evident, and many are very unaware of it.

I wasn't. With this clarified, I hope that can be an end to this.

Yeah ok - I'll believe you though thousands wouldn't.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Here is a good book about pop psychology
The Examined Life by Stephen Grosz, written jargon free in short chapters, it helped me a lot

Wolfgang Schmidbauer is very good too (in German)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies