Foxes!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Foxes!

Post by mercalia »

The seem to be getting very unafraid of humans here in my part of London. After shopping looked into my local wild life park in Palace RD and at the gate met a fox sauntering through it. We both stopped - we both looked at one another and its eyes seemed to be sizing me up. I said hello to it and after a few seconds it continued to saunter through the gate probably 3 feet away from me . it didnt look back or hurry on its way. Was still light probably about 3pm

no lions or bears though
100_7101.JPG
Mr Evil

Re: Foxes!

Post by Mr Evil »

Quite a few around the city I live in too. Here's one near where I live
03.jpg

And another I met while on a journey
001.jpg
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Here's one in my back garden a few years ago.
Attachments
MN1_4968crop8.jpg
millimole

Post by millimole »

My cat (a 5kg monster) has been seen playing regularly with foxes on a piece of derelict land nearby - which explains why he sometimes comes home stinking to high heaven!

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

I'll see your fox and raise you one hungry coyote hoovering up shells and spilled sunflower seeds under our bird feeder.
Coyote 3-4 portrait-1.jpg
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

We were at some friends in Bristol last weekend and a fox just walked around the garden as if it was his garden.

When it had had enough it just went out under the fence
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Toffee wrote:We were at some friends in Bristol last weekend and a fox just walked around the garden as if it was his garden.

Is this not part of the problem with the human concept of a "garden" as somehow belonging to them as it's registered with the land registry. It's a concept only understood by other humans, Mr fox trots around what he sees as his territory, scent marking if needbe, you are just other animals he sees as he goes around, the "garden" just another piece of interesting food possibilities. I always think if humans want to keep their garden to themselves because they "own" it then build a wall around and put on a roof it.

The coyote looks fantastic. The red foxes earlier look cool customers too, very nice to have visiting.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

My brother in law has wildlife cameras in his back garden to watch the hedgehogs he puts food out for, I think he's seen the hedgehogs happily eating alongside the neighbourhood cats, happily eating alongside a fox.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Postboxer wrote:My brother in law has wildlife cameras in his back garden to watch the hedgehogs he puts food out for, I think he's seen the hedgehogs happily eating alongside the neighbourhood cats, happily eating alongside a fox.

yeh but which is eating which :lol:
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Spotted one a few years ago in London sleeping on a car bonnet.
033a.JPG
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

On noticing a strong and peculiar smell in our main bedroom, I investigated and found a young fox asleep under the bed. It was poked out with a broom and encouraged to leave the premises.

Some months later I was woken in the early hours by the cat jumping onto my head, and in a rather woozy state thought I saw the cat disappearing up the attic stairs, then realised she was still by my head. Assuming another cat had come into the house I went to deal with it, and found a fox in the attic. After some chasing around it was seen out. I've no idea if it was the same fox again.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm not sure if any are in central London, but I've seen one sitting on the railway embankment as the train passed through New Cross Gate. Surely less than 3 miles from London Bridge.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Why bust a gut chasing rabbits when the streets are littered with discarded takeaways and overflowing bins?

I've seen a dead one at the busy roadside known to Leeds Loiners as in front of the Yorkshire Post building. Only a few hundred yards from the city centre but very close to the strip of land which forms the banks of the River Aire, the Leeds Liverpool Canal and is the route of several railway lines.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mercalia wrote:a chilling video :?

Come on now stop using media style hyberbole. A few rats using initiative from the smell of food to get easy calories. Now no human does that do they?, nor equally do any humans spread disease. But the main point of your video mercalia is that humans are lazy and not too bright. councils being lazy not to pick waste on the day required, humans not putting out waste on the day rather than a week in advance, humans not using appropriate containment( i.e wheely bin or industrial bin ).

As with most scaremongering news the fault 99% of the time lies in our own stupidity rather than animals initiative. They don't have the luxury of benefits to feed them or a health service to fix injured limbs. Everyday is about survival not sitting around watching sky etc.