Hard Times

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Hard Times

Post by foxyrider »

Went out for a ride today, yes I know it's cold, that there's snow covering the Peak District and more is forecast but after nearly a fortnight of inactivity due to an 'off' I I just had to get out.

My route used A roads for almost the entire route, A61, A615, A6, A619, A621 (he rest bar about 1km on B roads. In my poor overworked mind I assumed that the A roads at least would have been treated by the CC, they are after all quite busy routes. However, it soon became apparent by the amount of snow and ice on the roads that no such action had taken place.

Now I know times are hard, money has to be targeted carefully but surely keeping major routes safe should be a priority. I purposely avoided C roads to stay safe but clearly Derbyshire CC have other priorities.

So just a warning to any hardy souls heading into the Peak District this winter - don't expect any routes to be treated this winter - take care out there.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
old_windbag

Re: Hard Times

Post by old_windbag »

There are some circumstances where even if the road has been gritted it won't prevent being snowed on. Can't remember the sequence of events but it was the happened around here in the bad winter of 2010. It may be when snow falls after gritting before the cars have crushed and spread it.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Timing spreading isn't always all that easy. Too soon and it will have been dispersed by traffic before the snow falls, or the water freezes. Too late, and there will be accidents before it's done, and the gritters may not be able to get through.

Having said that, they grit far fewer roads round here than they used to, and I suspect they wait longer than they once did in the hope they may not need to, where once they would have spread as soon as necessary and gone back again if needed. But if people want low taxes, as it seems from elections they do, then they can't expect such good services.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If I understand correctly, road salt is most effective after following traffic has crushed it a bit. So there is an ideal time to spread it. Clearly the spreaders have a lot of ground to cover and cannot do every road at the optimal time.
PH

Post by PH »

foxyrider wrote:So just a warning to any hardy souls heading into the Peak District this winter - don't expect any routes to be treated this winter - take care out there.

The government grant was cut by 27% in 2015 so yes plenty of services have suffered.

You can see the gritted routes and when they were done on the DCC website, but as others have said the effectiveness depends on traffic and timing.
https://apps.derbyshire.gov.uk/applicat ... 66/-1.4948

The exceptions are those roads which come under the Highways Agency, that's only the A38 in the south on the county.
horizon

Post by horizon »

What is the forum view on gritting versus having your own studded tyres? Natural Ankling has also had an unfortunate encounter with ice and the discussion went on to gritting. I would have thought it a complete waste of time as so many minor roads and cycle paths won't be gritted. I accept that studded tyres can be frustrating as there is often a risk of ice which then fails to materialise (or vice versa) but does anyone have any strong objections to keeping a pair of wheels ready or even just an old bike? Studded tyres aren't cheap but then their use will also be minimal so could last for years.

Any thoughts?

PS Winter weather is far too good to waste!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Username

Post by Username »

pwa wrote:If I understand correctly, road salt is most effective after following traffic has crushed it a bit. So there is an ideal time to spread it. Clearly the spreaders have a lot of ground to cover and cannot do every road at the optimal time.

The solution to that is easy, use pre-crushed salt.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NA had a lot of trouble after falling off
If the weather is dodgy I stay at home, have got plenty of cycling books to read, or go walking in the woods
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I didn't think winter tyres were too expensive, about £15 each when i looked at schwalbe. But i thought they were for use on ice and snow, does riding mostly asphalt lose studs or are they ok? For those who have flexibility cycling wise theres always a turbo trainer plus music, boring but better than nothng.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

foxyrider wrote:Went out for a ride today, yes I know it's cold, that there's snow covering the Peak District and more is forecast but after nearly a fortnight of inactivity due to an 'off' I I just had to get out.

My route used A roads for almost the entire route, A61, A615, A6, A619, A621 (he rest bar about 1km on B roads. In my poor overworked mind I assumed that the A roads at least would have been treated by the CC, they are after all quite busy routes. However, it soon became apparent by the amount of snow and ice on the roads that no such action had taken place.

Now I know times are hard, money has to be targeted carefully but surely keeping major routes safe should be a priority. I purposely avoided C roads to stay safe but clearly Derbyshire CC have other priorities.

So just a warning to any hardy souls heading into the Peak District this winter - don't expect any routes to be treated this winter - take care out there.

There is some evidence that treating the roads results in faster driving, taking inappropriate risks and causing more accidents as drivers assume they cn drive normally
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I use snow tyres on the trikes and they are fine.

THe Marathon Winter has studs at the sides

I find that high pressure minimises the contact of the studs, and lower pressure increases.

Simply inflate to suit
horizon

Post by horizon »

There's a whole thread here on studded tyres. Why is anyone talking about gritting?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=118949
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Si

Post by Si »

Ive been using studded tyres for several years. I tend to be very caucious so use often them when there's very littlr ice. Ive yet to lose a stud, although the one on the back sre getting worn down and dont grip thst well sny more....really ought to change the studs i guess.

As for stufs vs gritting. I would go for studs as it means much less traffic on the roads.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I got some Nokian A10 studded tyres mid-winter 2013. I tend to fit them to the commuter at the first sign of frost, removing them at first sign of Spring.

Roughly speaking that means they are on throughout Dec-Feb and like Si's they see a lot of use in "normal" road conditions. I have never lost a stud. Based on their ice performance last year I am beginning to feel that the studs must be worn, although I may have been running too high a pressure.

This winter has been remarkably mild so far. Having fitted a new M+ to the rear on Friday which involved many Anglo-Saxon utterances I am hoping the current cold snap passes quickly. My studded tyres are harder to fit and not as puncture resistant.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I was watching this video ofthe schwalbe winters on glare ice. Very impressive especially the ease of his turn mid point. Looks like pretty good coating of ice too. Makes me feel nauseus to watch as i'm expecting a fall!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ihyyAlASyo0