Touch screens in motor vehicles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Username

Touch screens in motor vehicles

Post by Username »

Came across this when browsing the internet:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5089848

Some muppet looking for a touch screen for his car. astonishing!? No wonder NASA has setup SETI to search for intelligent life (they have started searching in space now).
Last edited by Graham on 12 Dec 2017, 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title ; de-clickbait-ified
flat tyre

Re: This absolutely beggars belief!

Post by flat tyre »

I think you'll find that most modern cars now have them built in as a standard feature, my VW Golf does.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I think the tesla is an exame of what people want........ But don't need where displays are concerned.
https://rnrautoblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/tesla-interior.jpg

Rather distracting when a few push buttons and turnable knobs would suffice, its a car not a jet fighter.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

My car may lack a touch-screen, but it has a whole plethora of pushbuttons to control heaven knows what..... Indeed I don't even know what some of them do, without looking up in the handbook.

Most of them are of course strictly "do not touch" when driving, I leave well alone until I'm stopped somewhere. Apart from some essential ones like heater, hazards, and rear demist, of course. Most other stuff is of course controlled from the steering column stalks.

And I don't have a satnav - before anyone asks.

But then again - some folks want every sort of hi-tech in their car. Beats me - but then I'm old-fashioned.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I'm younger than 661-Pete so it would be expected that i should need sat nav and bluetooth everything in my car. But i've never ever used or have a sat nav. I've travelled the country for work and not got lost, there are very few turns in a journey and routes are pretty well signed especially on motorways and a-roads. I have music via dab radio and mp3 on pen stick, i dont need my phone synced or connected on bluetooth as i ignore any calls when driving. And thats the crux of it all, its a car not a nightclub or cinema.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

old_windbag wrote:I'm younger than 661-Pete so it would be expected that i should need sat nav and bluetooth everything in my car. But i've never ever used or have a sat nav. I've travelled the country for work and not got lost, there are very few turns in a journey and routes are pretty well signed especially on motorways and a-roads. I have music via dab radio and mp3 on pen stick, i dont need my phone synced or connected on bluetooth as i ignore any calls when driving. And thats the crux of it all, its a car not a nightclub or cinema.

It's exceptionally bad form to use a phone in a cinema and can get you ejected!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

foxyrider wrote:cinema

Absolutely hateful places from my perspective. I don't invite 300 people eating popcorn to watch a dvd in my living room so why should I find it a pleasure to actually pay for such and have to travel to do so.

The last time I went( under duress ) all I could hear was chomp, chomp, slurp, then laughter at unfunny scenes( eddie murphy ). With the usual flaw in the foley and incidental music being too loud and the vocal soundtrack too quiet.

But clearly they have a following just as strictly come dancing, I'm a celebrity and bake-off have a following.

I think it's evident I hate cinemas :) .
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:
foxyrider wrote:cinema

Absolutely hateful places from my perspective. I don't invite 300 people eating popcorn to watch a dvd in my living room so why should I find it a pleasure to actually pay for such and have to travel to do so.

The last time I went( under duress ) all I could hear was chomp, chomp, slurp, then laughter at unfunny scenes( eddie murphy ). With the usual flaw in the foley and incidental music being too loud and the vocal soundtrack too quiet.

But clearly they have a following just as strictly come dancing, I'm a celebrity and bake-off have a following.

I think it's evident I hate cinemas :) .

Modern multiplex cinemas are better, today there were 20 people in a theatre with 200 seats, well spread out, most showings are less than half-full
If the cinema is full I try again next week
Agreed there is hardly anything worse than a noisy idiot sitting behind one

Cinema is a booming, CineStar in Germany is opening/reopening at least four multiplexes, +4!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Cinema is a booming

I spent a lot of saturday afternoons as a kid going to the pictures with a friend. Not always of choice but we saw the usual sinbad, jaws, towering inferno, smokey and the bandit, star wars..... actually well made entertaining films with some good effects, way better than modern cgi. But it lost it's attraction as I grew older.

One of the best films I saw from an effects perspective was "battle of midway" ( charlton heston ) in Sensurround. The sound was made to replicate the real surround and loudness of the scene, so the first scene as I recall was of aircraft taking off from a carrier with radial engines at full whack. As aircraft obsessed kids this was good and the floor and seats were vibrating with the sound!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cinema has changed a lot, back then there would only be one screen, after tivi spread cinema declined
Then some crazy people dreamed up "multiplex", in GB the first one was in Milton Keynes, where else? Seven or more different films could be shown at once in smaller theatres.. .
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Username wrote:Came across this when browsing the internet:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ?t=5089848

Some muppet looking for a touch screen for his car. astonishing!? No wonder NASA has setup SETI to search for intelligent life (they have started searching in space now).

The poster is looking for a replacement radio (aka in car entertainment) unit with a touchscreen which many now feature, in preference to using knobs and buttons. I'm not sure why that makes them a muppet.
Last edited by Bonefishblues on 11 Dec 2017, 10:54am, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What is the difference between pressing physical push buttons on a radio and touchscreen buttons? I assume the op has no radio installed in their car so they're tempted to be an idiot with push buttons too.

The issue is the same it always been. It's it safe to operate any media device when driving? If it's not then any buttons are a danger irrespective of being physical buttons or not
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Tangled Metal wrote:What is the difference between pressing physical push buttons on a radio and touchscreen buttons?
Haptics? Push buttons can easily identify themselves by feel. In principle a smart touchscreen could do the same - do they?
"42"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

squeaker wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:What is the difference between pressing physical push buttons on a radio and touchscreen buttons?
Haptics? Push buttons can easily identify themselves by feel. In principle a smart touchscreen could do the same - do they?

I think voice control has to be the future.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Apple car os is already out I believe, same for android.

Cue April fools day pranks on mini drivers with apple car os along the lines of London... upgrading to apple car will waterproof your car. You'll be able to drive underwater.

Sorry, after the apple users caught out flushing their phones down the loo or microwaving them after a rumour got out it was a new rapid charging method under another update. I think you'll forgive me poking fun at apple fanbois!

PS I heard apple have finally caught up with a waterproof phone. Can someone with an apple phone please confirm that? :D