Touch screens in motor vehicles

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: This absolutely beggars belief!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

old_windbag wrote:On the subject of large touchscreens or smartphones. One thing I really hate about them is when you work with people who regularly sit picking their nose :roll: . Then you have the day when you need to contact someone they know and they hand the smartphone and say "here use that, give them a call" and you can see all the smeary marks on the touchscreen :shock: .

So that tesla screens going to be a treat to use when sharing a car trip :( . I'm off to invent the disposable touchscreen glove for such situations.

I really hate people who lick their fingers while sorting papers, I mean I hate the habit
How might one cause them to desist?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
old_windbag wrote:On the subject of large touchscreens or smartphones. One thing I really hate about them is when you work with people who regularly sit picking their nose :roll: . Then you have the day when you need to contact someone they know and they hand the smartphone and say "here use that, give them a call" and you can see all the smeary marks on the touchscreen :shock: .

So that tesla screens going to be a treat to use when sharing a car trip :( . I'm off to invent the disposable touchscreen glove for such situations.

I really hate people who lick their fingers while sorting papers, I mean I hate the habit
How might one cause them to desist?

Ostentatiously pick one's nose before sorting them, presumably :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

It is time for a new law requiring all the techy stuff, such as phones and satnav, to have a freeze on controls whist moving. Lots of devices already have this as a setting that you can choose. We need to have it fixed, with no choice.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:It is time for a new law requiring all the techy stuff, such as phones and satnav, to have a freeze on controls whist moving. Lots of devices already have this as a setting that you can choose. We need to have it fixed, with no choice.

That is the way ahead, I agree, at least with built in devices. Portables are more problematical for reasons we've rehearsed before.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Same with radio controls of any type. Nothing to distract you from driving.

Mobile phones that stop working if your moving? This idea. It'll stop pedestrians walking into the road while on a call. Just one problem. It'll be a culture change. We'll no longer be able to call it a mobile phone! :D
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Bonefishblues wrote:Ostentatiously pick one's nose before sorting them

Right thats dinner sorted, now whats for tea :) .
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Tangled Metal wrote:Mobile phones that stop working if your moving? This idea. It'll stop pedestrians walking into the road while on a call. Just one problem. It'll be a culture change. We'll no longer be able to call it a mobile phone! :D

I always have my phone on vibrate only( with a screen notification too ). Works fine I can feel the vibrate or hear it if on a table at home. Yet so many have loud ringtones in any location. People of the UK, you don't need to be picking up calls every instant and have everyone hear it. Discrete use of mobiles and non use in cars in motion should be taught at school to the next generation before their parents ignorance rubs off on them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

old_windbag wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Mobile phones that stop working if your moving? This idea. It'll stop pedestrians walking into the road while on a call. Just one problem. It'll be a culture change. We'll no longer be able to call it a mobile phone! :D

I always have my phone on vibrate only( with a screen notification too ). Works fine I can feel the vibrate or hear it if on a table at home. Yet so many have loud ringtones in any location. People of the UK, you don't need to be picking up calls every instant and have everyone hear it. Discrete use of mobiles and non use in cars in motion should be taught at school to the next generation before their parents ignorance rubs off on them.

I think the Millennials have a very different attitude to tech than you or I. I think the older generation teaching the younger is unlikely to be productive tbh.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
old_windbag wrote:

I think the Millennials have a very different attitude to tech than you or I. I think the older generation teaching the younger is unlikely to be productive tbh.

I am not especially smart but I am quite old, I have become wise over time without trying %#)
Better the old teaching the young than the young teaching the old maybe
old_windbag

Re: Touch screens in motor vehicles

Post by old_windbag »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think the Millennials have a very different attitude to tech than you or I.

I guess the thread title comes to mind where tech is concerned in that to myself "it beggars belief" that people cannot live hi tech lives without it running their life. I probably do more in depth hi tech work than most smartphone users yet my life doesn't revolve around it. At home I use it where it is advantageous, outside it's there for emergencies, car breakdown or texting to advise I'll be late for a meeting etc. Non pervasive use, yet a fully connected life. It's a tool amongst many at my disposal that is used when necessary.

But in a country where even food intake cannot be done in moderation what hope is there.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

old_windbag wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:I think the Millennials have a very different attitude to tech than you or I.

I guess the thread title comes to mind where tech is concerned in that to myself "it beggars belief" that people cannot live hi tech lives without it running their life. I probably do more in depth hi tech work than most smartphone users yet my life doesn't revolve around it. At home I use it where it is advantageous, outside it's there for emergencies, car breakdown or texting to advise I'll be late for a meeting etc. Non pervasive use, yet a fully connected life. It's a tool amongst many at my disposal that is used when necessary.

But in a country where even food intake cannot be done in moderation what hope is there.

And that's the difference, generationally speaking. It's just a completely different way of living to you or I, not because the young are lazy, or stupid, or misguided, but because there is now a whole generation which is, simply, different, having been born with the concept and technology.

Better to think of ways, such as disablement, to ameliorate the impact/downside, or work out even smarter ways to control and integrate, than try to stop the tide's ingress IMHO.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Tangled Metal wrote:Apple car os is already out I believe, same for android.

Cue April fools day pranks on mini drivers with apple car os along the lines of London... upgrading to apple car will waterproof your car. You'll be able to drive underwater.

Sorry, after the apple users caught out flushing their phones down the loo or microwaving them after a rumour got out it was a new rapid charging method under another update. I think you'll forgive me poking fun at apple fanbois!

PS I heard apple have finally caught up with a waterproof phone. Can someone with an apple phone please confirm that? :D

I can confirm that my wife's iphone survived five minutes in a lake without apparent damage. (After drying out for 24 hours)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Apple car os is already out I believe, same for android.

Cue April fools day pranks on mini drivers with apple car os along the lines of London... upgrading to apple car will waterproof your car. You'll be able to drive underwater.

Sorry, after the apple users caught out flushing their phones down the loo or microwaving them after a rumour got out it was a new rapid charging method under another update. I think you'll forgive me poking fun at apple fanbois!

PS I heard apple have finally caught up with a waterproof phone. Can someone with an apple phone please confirm that? :D

I can confirm that my wife's iphone survived five minutes in a lake without apparent damage. (After drying out for 24 hours)

Did your wife survive immersion too? :wink:
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

My dear chap, my wife immersed, :shock: is something rather special!
A graceful nymph!

But at the moment in question, said phone slipped out of her rucksack.
And she retrieved it dry-shod.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do not think the difference between young and old people is so great
Many older people use the www a lot and have lots of devices, some of these people are on here
Ok, nearly all young people tend to smombieing and many older ones do not

I started working with the future in 1986
(viewdata) :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 12 Dec 2017, 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.