Don't trust the indicators...

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
[XAP]Bob

Don't trust the indicators...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

This morning a rapid change of mind by a driver resulted in a fist<->door collision and pair of rather hasty stops...

To be fair, looking back at the video she *did* change her indicator, but it didn't give me a great deal of reaction time, and I was already looking past the car..

Cold weather and my breath didn't do the lens any favours...

[youtube]Eq-duO0CpKE[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
SmilerGB

Re: Don't trust the indicators...

Post by SmilerGB »

Glad you walked away with no injuries, that could off been a lot worse especially as from the look of it your on a trike. i tend to hesitate & double guess all drivers intentions regardless of their indications.

I'll give them some credit, they know where their indicators are, unlike most :lol:
The bicycle is a simple solution to some of the world's most complicated problems.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

SmilerGB wrote:Glad you walked away with no injuries, that could off been a lot worse especially as from the look of it your on a trike. i tend to hesitate & double guess all drivers intentions regardless of their indications.

I had been rather hesitant, but indicating and braking to a standstill before taking the corner is quite normal around this junction (minor road off the rhs of an arterial route). I'd overtaken about 40-50 cars by the time I got to the lights, and decided against filtering past the three in front of me when the lights were red. This was within a few yards of pulling away.

Maybe I should have just gone past the queue and then skipped the red light once I could see that the kids had crossed (but before the lights changed) :roll:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
the snail

Post by the snail »

Completely your fault for not assuming the driver was a half-wit. Even if the driver had turned right I wouldn't have been surprised if they'd swung left, so many suv drivers seem to struggle with simple manoeuvres.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I remember in a past life dealing with a claim from 2 innocent motorists who had collided.

One waiting to join a main road from a side road. the other on the main road approaching the junction from the right pf the waiting car.

Main road car indicated left but unknown to waiting car the intention was to pull into the kerb and stop at the other side of the junction

Both thought the other was 100% to blame!
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Grandad wrote:I remember in a past life dealing with a claim from 2 innocent motorists who had collided.

One waiting to join a main road from a side road. the other on the main road approaching the junction from the right pf the waiting car.

Main road car indicated left but unknown to waiting car the intention was to pull into the kerb and stop at the other side of the junction

Both thought the other was 100% to blame!

I've nearly been hit pulling out in front of an indicating left chap who carried on. I was being a bit pushy trying to get out before the bloke behind him so it was very close. In fairness and in retrospect he had not long come off a roundabout so possibly indicator was simply still on.

Converseley I have held off indicating before a junction which someone was comong out of when I wanted to stop in a layby just after said junction. Despite slowing down gradually I was then angrilly beeped by the car behind presumably for indicating late - even though i would have thought it obvious to anyone slighly observant why I had done so.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I never do....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
millimole

Post by millimole »

Leicester drivers seem to adopt bizarre indicator habits around mini-roundabouts. Sometimes they indicate left when going straight on, sometimes right; frequently they don't indicate at all. I've learned not to trust any vehicle's indicators around any of my local mini-roundabouts.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

eileithyia wrote:I never do....

+1 the only way to stay safe IMO is not to trust another road user as to what they going to do next.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe it would be safer to ban indicators and indicating
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe it would be safer to ban indicators and indicating

Maybe better to ban dangerous drivers,it would surely free up a lot of space on the roads :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:

Maybe better to ban dangerous drivers,it would surely free up a lot of space on the roads :wink:

That is so true that you do not need to say it :wink:

While cycling today I was thinking about a journey by car planned for tomorrow. I resolved to always indicate (even when *unnecessary*)
Then I thought a bit more.. when I indicate before turning off to the nearside the moton behind swerves out to overtake to save a few milliseconds instead of waiting for a moment. It is better NOT to communicate! What business is it of mine where someone else is going?
Likewise, when turning right I position my vehicle in a certain way, even without indicating it is clear what I plan to do

So I thonk banning indicating would be worth a try. Nothing to do with *shared space* (no rules), I am against that

Alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

That is so true that you do not need to say it :wink:

While cycling today I was thinking about a journey by car planned for tomorrow. I resolved to always indicate (even when *unnecessary*)
Then I thought a bit more.. when I indicate before turning off to the nearside the moton behind swerves out to overtake to save a few milliseconds instead of waiting for a moment. It is better NOT to communicate! What business is it of mine where someone else is going?
Likewise, when turning right I position my vehicle in a certain way, even without indicating it is clear what I plan to do

So I thonk banning indicating would be worth a try. Nothing to do with *shared space* (no rules), I am against that

Alternative facts welcome

The dangerous idiots at large on the roads would soon change your mind for you,if indicating wasn't allowed/discontinued it'd be mayhem,its bad enough as it ATM and most peole do indicate
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It would really hinder traffic flow at large roundabouts. I'd love to know how many traffic jams would be saved simply by everyone indicating on roundabouts and off roundabouts too I suppose.

It's rather handy when cars indicate before pulling off from the side of the road too.

I think I would much rather have everyone indicate correctly than have no one indicate at all.

On the video, does the driver really shout 'Stop hitting the car!' or something along those lines? Unbelievable! I wouldn't have kept so calm.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Postboxer wrote:On the video, does the driver really shout 'Stop hitting the car!' or something along those lines? Unbelievable! I wouldn't have kept so calm.

I don't think so, I don't hear it anyway...
There was an expletive from somewhere, but I *think* the car window was closed, so suspect it was a pedestrian.

You can hear my frustration in the delay before I reply with 'you didn't check though'...