Group Rides - being left behind

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tigerbiten

Re: Group Rides - being left behind

Post by Tigerbiten »

hondated wrote:Question Is a 15 mile at 15 mph a reasonable speed for a beginner ?

15 mph is around the speed that wind resistance starts to really kick in.
So probably around the upper limit on the flat-ish route.

Add in a BSO, unfitness, hills and a headwind and you could easily drop down to sub-10 mph average speed .... :cry:
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

It depends on who the beginner is, too. A sporty 20-year-old on a well-maintained bicycle? 15 miles per hour for an hour might be easily doable.

A middle-aged man with two decades of inactivity under his belt? Attempting 10 miles in an hour might put him in hospital.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

hondated wrote:Question Is a 15 mile at 15mph a reasonable speed for a beginner ?

That would require a reasonable amount of fitness and strength. Not huge, but a beginner cyclist who has not built fitness by some other means may struggle. Also, if that's an average speed with peak speed being quite a bit more than 15mph, then I'd think that would require some confidence to maintain that speed. Without more information about the beginner, I'd think it a bit risky to plan that as a general beginner ride. But, I'm not an experienced ride leader.
whoof

Post by whoof »

hondated wrote:
Question Is a 15 mile at 15mph a reasonable speed for a beginner ?

There are a lot of variables. I find that I often have lower average speed on shorter rides. This is due to the stop/go type riding with junctions and lights in urban areas until I get out into the country and then the riding is more continuous. Although the urban part of my ride is the same on longer rides it's a smaller fraction of the overall ride. Even if you are calculating the average speed where the time stopped isn't included there is still the deceleration/acceleration required at each stop.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Our experienced tourists often average 10mph, rising to 12-13mph if everyone's on a good day, so I wouldn't rate 15 as for beginner tourists. Beginner racers on stick bikes carrying nothing, perhaps.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:Our experienced tourists often average 10mph, rising to 12-13mph if everyone's on a good day, so I wouldn't rate 15 as for beginner tourists. Beginner racers on stick bikes carrying nothing, perhaps.

I've helped lead a number of rides with inexperienced riders where the average (moving) speed has been 6-9mph, ride lengths 8-20 miles. If I'm back marker, I'm last one on the road however slowly the next to last person is going - If they walk I do (unless I can ride slowly enough), if they stop so do I (a chance to admire the scenery).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hondated wrote:Question Is a 15 mile at 15mph a reasonable speed for a beginner ?

That depends on the beginner. For most, I think 15 mph is likely to be too fast.

I used to plan 7 - 8 mph for family rides & beginners, but with an unfit and/or very new beginner, I would probably plan on 5 miles max and an hour to do it.

On the other hand, if someone has gotten as far as joining a 15 mile beginner ride, 10 mph or more might be manageable.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

Vorpal wrote:On the other hand, if someone has gotten as far as joining a 15 mile beginner ride, 10 mph or more might be manageable.

You would think so but my experience tells me otherwise. :?
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

RickH wrote:
Vorpal wrote:On the other hand, if someone has gotten as far as joining a 15 mile beginner ride, 10 mph or more might be manageable.

You would think so but my experience tells me otherwise. :?

I did say *might* :) When I had kids in tow, I sometimes joined beginner rides. I was on the occasional beginner ride, where I struggled to keep up with trailer & two kids. I usually averaged about 8 mph with the kids, but in a group and pushing it for a 15 mile ride, I could manage 10 mph.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Isn't it generally the case that the big problem with inexperienced riders is curbing their initial enthusiasm and not letting them set off like the clappers? That's something which can be aggravated by a mistaken belief that the BOF's can't ride any faster.
Si

Post by Si »

There's beginners and there's beginners. People who already do plenty of exercise and/ or sport may have little problem with 15 miles (apart from the saddle). I coordinate LTR sessions in deprived areas where exercise and health is low, our beginners' rides tend to be about 4 miles done at around 8mph moving speed with plenty of stops. So it does make me cringe a bit when i see beginners rides advertised as being 15-20 miles.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Si wrote:There's beginners and there's beginners.
Age also makes a difference. I started CTC riding in 1969 at the age of 16 and there really was no problem keeping up with the group on 80 mile plus day rides, even at the very start. These days, beginners of that age are probably more influenced by racing and join the local racing clubs who might or might not look after them. In my early years, there were no beginners over the age of say 20. In the 1980s the cycle action/campaigning groups grew up and we had beginners of all ages. About 10 years ago my local racing club ran short rides specifically for beginners, and not one of them was under 45. The older people may have problems with speed and distance that the younger ones would not, simply through youthful energy.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:There's beginners and there's beginners. People who already do plenty of exercise and/ or sport may have little problem with 15 miles (apart from the saddle). I coordinate LTR sessions in deprived areas where exercise and health is low, our beginners' rides tend to be about 4 miles done at around 8mph moving speed with plenty of stops. So it does make me cringe a bit when i see beginners rides advertised as being 15-20 miles.

Left To Right sessions?

It depends where you are, too. City riding, with all the stops for junctions and lights, what would be 10mph in open country can often only get you 6mph IME.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

thirdcrank wrote:Isn't it generally the case that the big problem with inexperienced riders is curbing their initial enthusiasm and not letting them set off like the clappers? That's something which can be aggravated by a mistaken belief that the BOF's can't ride any faster.
Quite! That's the problem my wife has had on the few times she's tried a group ride: "why do they ride so slowly on the flat bits" and "I can't keep up on the steep bits" :roll:
"42"
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thank you to all those that replied to my question and I was interested in them and feel a little better having read them.
Not a place to mention the particular club concerned but some years ago I joined them on this 15 mile ride so called flat ride, which it was until the last 1.5 miles and then it was a drag up hill.
Needless to say that was the only time as I never went out with them again. It did leave me with a feeling of inadequacy so it was nice to read that it was perhaps pushing the limits for an over weight 60+ year old fella. Just a shame that the club continue to use this ride as I am sure it must inhibit any recruitment drives they have.