Getting lasered :(

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
squeaker

Getting lasered :(

Post by squeaker »

Not me, but this guy in Belgium (IIRC). I really despair about the human race at times :evil:
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Re: Getting lasered :(

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Looks like he has registration plates to take to the police, as well as some vocal exchange.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

And this legislation can't come fast enough!
"42"
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Looks like he has registration plates to take to the police, as well as some vocal exchange.
The original BROL post says
Then I went to the police and gave them the video. They got the license plate number out of it, but it seems to be fake. The car is extremely common, so they told me not to hold my breath. In short, that's a dead end.
:(
"42"
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Fake - but that's where ANPR should be a valuable tool.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

squeaker wrote:And this legislation can't come fast enough!

Why limit to vehicle operators. Deliberately shining a laser into anyone's eyes is bad enough...
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Am I missing something, but is someone in a car shining a laser on someone's back as they drive behind them in the video?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Wing mirror
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ah I see, thanks
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Why limit to vehicle operators. Deliberately shining a laser into anyone's eyes is bad enough...

Given the wide knowledge of teh damage that lasers can cause and the warnings that are packaged with each one, this should simply be considered an assault with a weapon

The perpetrator should simply be dealt with in a way that recognises the debilitation and life changing consequences of damage to the eyes
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Cunobelin wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

Given the wide knowledge of teh damage that lasers can cause and the warnings that are packaged with each one, this should simply be considered an assault with a weapon

The perpetrator should simply be dealt with in a way that recognises the debilitation and life changing consequences of damage to the eyes

Yep - I'll run with that.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Fake - but that's where ANPR should be a valuable tool.

How does ANPR he, when the Police are too busy to check it, let alone try to use it to find the car?

I was hit by the passenger in a car with private plates. Taxed, insured and very obviously driven by someone who likes everyone to now what their name is, but the Police could not trace them - the s172 notice was returned "addressee Unknown", and that's as much investigation as the police want to do these days.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I said should. Pop the plate in the database and see where it pops up - quite possibly whilst on patrol somewhere...
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

The Chelsea tractor needs to be instantly crushed and the driver banned from driving for life.

Is a fake number plate in Belgium cities fairly unique or is it quite common?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

atlas_shrugged wrote:The Chelsea tractor needs to be instantly crushed and the driver banned from driving for life.

Is a fake number plate in Belgium cities fairly unique or is it quite common?

I don't think in any language a Vauxhall Corsa qualifies as such, does it? (Or is it a Clio, or some other nondescript Eurobox hatchhback...)