Weird accident grazes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ric2013

Weird accident grazes

Post by Ric2013 »

This is an unusual way of introducing myself, but I have little else to say that you are likely to find as interesting.

Let's see if anyone can shed light on this matter that has been confusing me ever since the 23rd...

Coming down a hill in the morning before dawn and turning right at a mini-roundabout I swerved to avoid a manhole cover and heard the tyres start to slip and then I found myself on the road. The bike was between me and the pavement and I believe I was facing the direction of intended travel following my spill.

The good news is that, following some glue and adhesive strips to my chin by the NHS walk-in centre, I'm alright, albeit a bit scratched and bruised, and the bike is also fine.

But the scratches on me and on the touring bike don't seem to match!!!

Bike handlebars were spun round, with damage to cork grip tape and brake lever on right, scratch to right pedal, and possibly the right pannier also hit the ground and possible scuffing on the right of the front tyre sidewall. This is all consistent with sliding out on a right hand turn.

The left side of my face had black dirt on it (from the road?), severe graze on the left side of my chinbone, graze on my left ear, graze on the left side of my right knee, graze on my left elbow, bruise on the outside of my left thigh, and - though this may have happened at work - slight strain to my left wrist. I would not have expected ANY of these injuries as I'm fairly sure I would have landed on my right, not my left.

Any thoughts? This is really bugging me...

Merry Christmas,

Ric
Last edited by Graham on 26 Dec 2017, 4:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So
Cyril Haearn

Re: Weird accident grazes

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Croeso

Maybe you rolled over a couple of times in a moment without realising
I do seem to remember getting bruises although there were no holes in my clothes
It is best to wear several layers when one falls off, the clothes move against each other and protect the flesh
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ric2013

Post by Ric2013 »

Diolch yn fawr.

I've wondered if I rolled, but I'm fairly sure I was still roughly on the bike when I stopped in spite of (unusually) not having had my SPD shoes on that day.

If I did roll, though, how likely is it that I would not have a single graze or injury on the right side of my body? Still confused.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Option 1 - You rolled over when you landed

Option 2 - As you wet down, you tried to avid landing on your rh side and over-compensated landing on your LH side instead

Option 3 - You went over the top and landed, rather than falling down with the bike

Option 4 - you were riding backwards!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you were abducted :wink: and the aliens operated on you
Ric2013

Post by Ric2013 »

I think I can rule out option 4, option 2 would be most logical, but aliens would explain the lady in the nurse uniform who gave me a plaster, but told me she wasn't actually nurse.

Reckon we're on the right track here! :)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Welcome, ruling out aliens, it's always surprising where bruising turns up. Left side of right leg is probably due to the frame. Left hip bruising could be the handlebars swinging around at some point of the impact.

Double layers do help reduce grazing.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Ric2013

Post by Ric2013 »

eileithyia wrote:Welcome, ruling out aliens, it's always surprising where bruising turns up. Left side of right leg is probably due to the frame. Left hip bruising could be the handlebars swinging around at some point of the impact.

Double layers do help reduce grazing.

Left side of right leg is a graze though, not a bruise. Left hip could well be the bars, I agree.

Good to know I'm not the only one to find this sort of thing happens.

Reckon I'd have probably been safer had I been using my clipless pedals that day...