Cyclist found dead beside road, Newton Tony, Wilts

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
jgurney

Cyclist found dead beside road, Newton Tony, Wilts

Post by jgurney »

BBC: Cyclist, 77, is found dead by roadside - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-4253343

Presumably the deceased has been identified since his age is known.
mercalia

Re: Cyclist found dead beside road, Newton Tony, Wilts

Post by mercalia »

well page not found - did he not die then?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Try this link, the one listed by OP was missing a digit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-42533437
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

jgurney wrote:BBC: Cyclist, 77, is found dead by roadside - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-4253343

Presumably the deceased has been identified since his age is known.

Probably identified, but media does not name until as many relatives as possible have been informed.... you wouldn't want to learn of a relatives' demise via the papers.

A tragedy but as long as no one else is involved, going while doing something you enjoy has to be better than a long gradual demise in a home.. if that is what happened
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

A runner colleague of mine used to say "I want to die running up a hill".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

Local tv this morning are reporting that the police are still seeking witnesses. I wonder if the investigation has revealed signs of a hit and run. :(
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Username

Post by Username »

rjb wrote:Local tv this morning are reporting that the police are still seeking witnesses. I wonder if the investigation has revealed signs of a hit and run. :(

Good point. At 77 death is a common symptom, but seeking witnesses does seem to suggest he might have been struck by something as opposed to death by natural causes.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Audax67 wrote:A runner colleague of mine used to say "I want to die running up a hill".

Someone I met died at similar age to this cyclist by doing just that. Running up a hill (plus the 15 odd miles to get there and a hilltop lunch break). What a way to go!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Over the years we have had 3 club members die from heart attacks whilst riding with clubmates. All had pre-existing heart based problems and had been riding with them for a number of years.

Sounds a lot but to put it into perspective it's over the 30 years during which our membership has grown from just under 100 to 500.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

rjb wrote:Local tv this morning are reporting that the police are still seeking witnesses. I wonder if the investigation has revealed signs of a hit and run. :(
Apparently not. http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/police-appeal-witnesses-77-year-old-cyclist-found-dead-side-road-new-years-eve-364259
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.