Natalie Schafer Sportswoman exemplary

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gar

Natalie Schafer Sportswoman exemplary

Post by gar »

The film roll of Natalie Schaefer which she took
from the side of her bike as she rolled along the Transiberian highway AND the Gobi desert "PUSH" from Beijing to London has the stamp of excellence about it and should be recognised by the CTC in some way.

I have never heard of anybody cycling the Gobi successfully before but she did... pushing through the sand. she then successfully traversed all the way to London.

I was all too familiar with her depression which hits most solo cyclists at some time on the journey and interested to see her film it the way she did.

I am fairly sure that this has not much to do with "hitting the wall" which is an expression I have often heard for tired athletes, just depression on long distances. Does anybody have such similar experiences on anything more than say 800miles and difficult terrain? She wept
but then so did Paula Ratcliffe finest sportswoman of all time.

When will we hear that a woman long distance cyclists has been nomintaed as sportswoman of the year? Never and mainly because the art and skill and science of it, is beyond the understanding of the broadcasters and commentators.
handallyingharry

Re:Natalie Schafer Sportswoman exemplary

Post by handallyingharry »

Has she got a website anywhere?
Sounds interesting! I'll do it on my wheel chair!
TJ

Post by TJ »

Beryl Burton is the finest female athlete of all time, just look up her achievements, BBAR for a quarter of a century, she not only broke the womens 12 hour record, she broke the mens too!
She is without doubt the most overlooked athlete, not just cyclist, ever.
gar

Post by gar »

Yes of course a brilliant athlete almost as good as Paula Ratcliffe in her new discipline of Women's marathon.

For itself Beijing-London and by a woman AND across the Gobi desert desrves much greater recognition.

Some people would not even recognise it as a sport. They do recognise track racing a la Beryl burton as one. That is the difference, in recognition