What gear range do you use.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What gear range do you use.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I read that and did not really understand it! :D
Diolch yn fawr iawn
I really must upgrade my everyday bike to fixed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Rusty Rider

Re: What gear range do you use.

Post by Rusty Rider »

Debs wrote:
Rusty Rider wrote:
kwackers wrote:Is it OK to say I haven't a clue and probably don't care? (Should I revoke my forum membership?)

I don't have a clue what they're talking about, its all chinese to me.

I think it's just blokes liking to compare how many inches they have.... :oops: :lol:

Although the topic title does ask 'what gear range do you use' this could imply the lowest and highest gear or it could imply the range in-between too, which is far more interesting and where one spends most time doing the spinning. I would think most people rarely [or never] use the highest gear, maybe the lowest gets used more often if you need to hump up a stonker of a steep hill everyday, but this becomes dependent upon so many factors, the lie of the land, age, strength, and state of fitness of the rider, the type of bike used, so lowest and highest inches used are probably a little much of muchness to most peoples here.

Personally, although i can get by with my fashionable flavour of our time 'compact 34/50 chainset' and 11 speed cassette, i would by far prefer to have a triple chainset and 9 speed.
As i've admitted earlier in this thread, the 11 and 12 tooth cogs on my cassette never get used [ however the 11 tooth cog does hold the chain when i drop the wheel out]. But in practise i'm only using the 11 speed as a 9 speed anyway, with the disadvantage of needing to buy a replacement 11 speed chain for £30 when i could be buying a 9 speed chain for £10 each time they wear out :evil:
Triple chainsets are cool IMO, they very easily provide the ultimate range of gears, with little in the way of compromising, so why did they go out of fashion?

Hmm I don't think "little man" and chain should be in the same sentence, especially as I imagine most men have at some time in their lives got caught in a zip.
One thing I have realised though is that on my 3 chain ring setup, when on the lowest (granny ring?) I don't use the 2 outer cogs on the wheel and vica versa on the outer ring. So my gears are not 27 but 23 in so called usage. BTW I try and avoid the granny ring as much as possible as I want to build a bit of muscle in my thighs.
Peter