War on the Streets!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tangled Metal

War on the Streets!

Post by Tangled Metal »

Channel 11 on freeview (pick) has a programme just started called "War on the Streets". It's about the battle on the streets between 4 wheels and 2 wheels.

Starting to watch it. Sounds like tabloid TV to me but I'll leave my mind open.

If you're watching it please feel free to pass comments.

So far does not look good. Watched loads of clips with cyclists being attacked, nearly knocked off and actually knocked off. However among the cyclists surrounding those cyclists affected I must admit there were some doing things I didn't feel right. I'm no saint on a bike but riding between two buses? Wrong side of traffic island?plus a few other things I question. However that opening set of footage clearly showed there is more than a few motorists who simply do not have a clue.
mjr

Re: War on the Streets!

Post by mjr »

War on Britain's Roads. I'm sure this is a repeat, maybe from itv a few years ago.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

BBC 1, discussed for 28 pages at viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70365

Not like Sky to rebroadcast the worst of BBC 1, is it? ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

It's predictable.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think if you watch too much conflict stuff on TV, from Jeremy Kyle to this, eventually something in your brain will recalibrate and you will be more inclined to view conflict as normal healthy human interaction, rather than the disfunctional behaviour it is.
busb

Post by busb »

pwa wrote:I think if you watch too much conflict stuff on TV, from Jeremy Kyle to this, eventually something in your brain will recalibrate and you will be more inclined to view conflict as normal healthy human interaction, rather than the disfunctional behaviour it is.

Absolutely. We live in an increasingly tribal society. I despise these sorts of cynical programs whose agenda seems to be about sowing conflict to make low budget TV.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

pwa wrote:I think if you watch too much conflict stuff on TV, from Jeremy Kyle to this, eventually something in your brain will recalibrate and you will be more inclined to view conflict as normal healthy human interaction, rather than the disfunctional behaviour it is.

I agree.

Then a couple of million people watch it and aggression (against cyclists or any other group) becomes more acceptable as a general societal behavioral trend?

I am convinced some aggression against cyclists is generated by this sort of stuff.
(I haven't seen it I might add, but I know the form)

In the wrong editorial hands......
Why does the DM spring to mind!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think crime fiction and tivi programmes are a bit sick, killing as entertainment but maybe it is good that viewers learn exactly how the police work :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

busb wrote:
Absolutely. We live in an increasingly tribal society. I despise these sorts of cynical programs whose agenda seems to be about sowing conflict to make low budget TV.

Yep.+1

Otherwise known as "divide and rule"!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

busb wrote:whose agenda seems to be about sowing conflict

Many television programmes today rely on editing to create their sensationalist impression. This normally seems to be done on the trailers or first few minutes of the show. A sequence of 3 sec flashes of whats to come, in doing so even the queens speech can be made to look aggressive and spoiling for a fight. I've seen quite a few shows where at the start it looks like a big fight is going to kick off, yet when watching you realise those scenes were totally unrelated and out of context.

But isn't that the what editors do? Create the propoganda or message they want us to believe. I think thats what Joseph Goebbels said in an interview once when he edited the daily mail :wink: .
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

busb wrote:

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
busb

Post by busb »

old_windbag wrote:
busb wrote:whose agenda seems to be about sowing conflict

Many television programmes today rely on editing to create their sensationalist impression. This normally seems to be done on the trailers or first few minutes of the show. A sequence of 3 sec flashes of whats to come, in doing so even the queens speech can be made to look aggressive and spoiling for a fight. I've seen quite a few shows where at the start it looks like a big fight is going to kick off, yet when watching you realise those scenes were totally unrelated and out of context.

But isn't that the what editors do? Create the propoganda or message they want us to believe. I think thats what Joseph Goebbels said in an interview once when he edited the daily mail :wink: .

Daily Mail - hate the paper - far too left wing for me!
I stayed in a B & B that featured in one of the 1st episodes of Four in a Bed, was told that the producer really tried to stir things between the competing owners. The format is set to deliberately cause conflict.
As for being a cyclist, the ideas others have can be quite funny - told some people that I'd returned from a holiday on the IoW: "You cycled there?!"
Me: "No, I got the train!"
Some seem to think that "normal" people drive & odd people cycle - as though cyclists never drive! Mind you when I've seen some groups of cyclists in pubs in their cycling gear, I have wondered! However, I do have to stop myself laughing when rugby/football fans go drinking in their team's colours! Some groups of folk actually manage to make cyclists look normal - well almost!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am glad not to be NORMAL, really don't care what people think of me, it is not worth trying to explain
I raised issues about motor safety at work, the safetyperson assumed I could not drive cos he had only seen me walking (I lived 1km from work, car stayed at home). Let them believe what they want I say

In inner London motons are in the minority, +1

The IoW is an island I think, can one get there by cycle or train?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
busb

Post by busb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The IoW is an island I think, can one get there by cycle or train?

Indeed - one can cycle there, take a bike on the train & take a bike on various ferries as foot passengers. Have gone several times to cycle around & went with other CTC members once.
Although I'm hardly a big fan of cycling apparel, I do wear some - so get the rise taken out of me at work - by someone who occasionally cycles himself. I will not wear club cycling gear myself. If club cyclists want to look like they've popped out of the same packet - it's harmless enough but not for everyone.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

busb wrote:

Learn't behavior, your right, people see people do.