Kerry and Kirsty

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Kerry and Kirsty

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Polish is the most popular foreign language in the UK now, +1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cunobelin wrote:Ironically "the" UK language is in fact German. Celtic was the original and displaced when we were invaded by tribes from Germany, Netherlands and Denmark

It is not German. It is Germanic. It is on the same language family tree. Along with Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, German, Frisian, Icelandic, etc.
That said, we also get some words and many place names from the Celtic languages, and a significant proportion also come from Latin, through the Roman occupation, and also the Norman conquest. We also inherited (or re-inherited) celtic words through French, and Germanic words from the Vikings.

English is a mutt of a language, incomprehensible to it's nearest relations. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No no, Welsh was the first language of course
There was a time when languages as we know them did not exist, not sure how hominids communicated
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

If we ignore those who prefer their gibberish in English this programme features real cyclists which must surely be a good thing. They are not some alleged celebs pretending to be cyclists and probably using motor transport between sound bites. They also meet local cyclists as guides to the area.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ambodach wrote:If we ignore those who prefer their gibberish in English this programme features real cyclists which must surely be a good thing. They are not some alleged celebs pretending to be cyclists and probably using motor transport between sound bites. They also meet local cyclists as guides to the area.

I love watching subtitled films, often one can understand more because the speech may be unclear, keeps the brain going too +1

Cymru / Alba am byth!
Debs

Post by Debs »

English language origins:

Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Debs wrote:English language origins:

That appears to be the origins of the words. It's considered to be in the Germanic family tree partly because of grammer and conjugation.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
robing

Post by robing »

I'm enjoying this series. I like the features where they explain some basic bike maintenance like the M check. I know it's probably teaching most of us how to suck eggs but useful nonetheless. They must be running out of gaelic speaking cyclists to interview! The blonde lassie was hot!
MarkGraham

Post by MarkGraham »

BBC Alba is probably the best thing about the BBC -loads of adventure/outdoor based programmes only a very few of which find their way down to the TV received by us southern jessies.
RickH

Post by RickH »

MarkGraham wrote:BBC Alba is probably the best thing about the BBC -loads of adventure/outdoor based programmes only a very few of which find their way down to the TV received by us southern jessies.

If you have Freesat, BBC Alba is in the list of channels (channel 109). Most, if not all, of their output is viewable live(ish) from the "TV " link on the website or on iPlayer.

For those interested, Lisa Annette, the young lady in episode 3, is a Production Manager for Cutmedia ("Describe your role in 3 words. GO!" "Herding wild cats!" :D ). They are the people who've produced, among other things, Danny MacAskill short films.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

I've saved it to watch tomorrow, the short clip I watched looks really good. :D
Peter
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

robing wrote:I'm enjoying this series. I like the features where they explain some basic bike maintenance like the M check.....

What is the M-check please?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Maintenance?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
robing wrote:I'm enjoying this series. I like the features where they explain some basic bike maintenance like the M check.....

What is the M-check please?

Here is a explanation & a video (courtesy of Sustrans).

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-you-ca ... e-11-steps
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
robing

Post by robing »

RickH wrote:
MarkGraham wrote:BBC Alba is probably the best thing about the BBC -loads of adventure/outdoor based programmes only a very few of which find their way down to the TV received by us southern jessies.

If you have Freesat, BBC Alba is in the list of channels (channel 109). Most, if not all, of their output is viewable live(ish) from the "TV " link on the website or on iPlayer.

For those interested, Lisa Annette, the young lady in episode 3, is a Production Manager for Cutmedia ("Describe your role in 3 words. GO!" "Herding wild cats!" :D ). They are the people who've produced, among other things, Danny MacAskill short films.

I'd rather see her in front of the camera ;)