Simple joy : hot drink : thermos flask

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rjb

Re: Simple joy : hot drink : thermos flask

Post by rjb »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Felt a bit queer when I spotted this :wink:

It appeared in "unread posts" next to one about hydraulic fluid :o

When i started work it was commen to have a Hydraulic lunch on a friday down the local. :mrgreen:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

geocycle wrote:Flasks are going out of fashion. I was out with 20 teenagers who were teasing me about my flask of coffee. However, they were impressed when I gave it a shake and produced ‘capuccino’!

I wonder, if flasks are going out of fashion is that why there are many empty coffee cups all over the place!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

geocycle wrote:Flasks are going out of fashion. I was out with 20 teenagers who were teasing me about my flask of coffee. However, they were impressed when I gave it a shake and produced ‘capuccino’!

I don't think they have been in fashion for years :)

On really long rides I prefer to take a small stove and espresso pot.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Throwaway cups can be lucrative
Someone sat on a bench after finishing his drink and put the cup on the ground while he relaxed a moment (the next bin was some way away)
Before he could say "cappuccino" passers-by started putting coins in it, soon he had collected €4,24

Next time he plans to enjoy an XXXL
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

that reminds me of Laurel and Hardy when they where busking in the snow playing a tune called in the summer time! a women shouted 'how much do you make a street' about fifty cents they said, 'heres a dollar move down two streets' :D

I just got back from my morning ride and I was glad to have that flask of coffee with me today, I still can't feel my toes.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:

why I bought my £10 wood burner stove - is very light and simple
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rjb wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Felt a bit queer when I spotted this :wink:

It appeared in "unread posts" next to one about hydraulic fluid :o

When i started work it was commen to have a Hydraulic lunch on a friday down the local. :mrgreen:

Positive thread alert!
Another reason to be glad we live in the 21st century, much less [visible?] alcohol abuse :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I have two Lifeventure Thermal Mugs (like flask but 300ml) which get used almost daily. They don't end up smelling of coffee like flasks do! https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/009 ... -pink.html. I think they'd fit in a bottle cage but would lose paint - could put them in a sock like I do - a use for odd ones?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:

I fear you haven't used an italian espresso pot mercalia.

A serious problem with one on one of those stoves.
Sweep
RickH

Post by RickH »

I managed to pick up an Elite Deboyo stainless steel bottle for less than the normal rate (I've forgotten where from now). It fits nicely in a bottle cage & comes with a flip top cap (so you can drink on the move, like a normal bike bottle) & a steel cap (that keeps the heat in better).

(From this, SE Asian, page which has additional photos.)

Out walking in cold weather I will sometimes take just hot water in a flask plus some instant cappuccino, that I've found to be vaguely palatable as long as I don't try to confuse it with coffee :) , and some instant soup to go with lunch. So I can get 2 different drinks (if you count the soup as a drink) from one flask of water.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Always have a flask with me when touring. Usually on the colder audaxes as well. I actually have 3, a 300ml, a 500ml and a 1lt (may be even 1.5 can't remember) for when we go walking as a family. I usually take coffee though, just seems to taste better than tea. I put milk in both and coffee seems to deal with it better. When B&Bing I make a flask myself or ask the owner for a cafetiere and when camping I book a pan for the morning brew and fill the flask at the same time. Don't care if they're old hat, the pleasure of being able to stop anywhere and have a hot drink and a snack is worth it.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

It's been a while since I've carried one regularly but seeing this topic did make me google to see whether the small UK business I bought thermos cages from still existed. I'm glad to see that they are still around http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/shop.asp and I'm happy to recommend them for your thermos carrying needs.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Sweep wrote:I don't think they have been in fashion for years :)

I fear you haven't used an italian espresso pot mercalia.

A serious problem with one on one of those stoves.

you are right dont know what that is, I was thinking of a simple small stainless steel kettle for a cup of tea

like this gsi one

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/kettles/gsi-outdoors-glacier-stainless-tea-kettle.htm?opt=18893&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnOzSBRDGARIsAL-mUB2FPlUHqUcF32Yvzo3yRi1JgGLlawcDV_EHrzJ7AHZjCpa3y23qWbAaAky4EALw_wcB
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

One of these mercalia:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0280/ ... 1487506698

If the flame isn't focussed you bur the handle off.

Quite easy to do even at home if not careful - hence Italian shops sell spare handles.
Sweep