Simple joy : hot drink : thermos flask

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Patrickpioneer

Simple joy : hot drink : thermos flask

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Yesterday, shopping, I spotted a thermos that would fit my bottle cage and this morning on my morning cold ride on the moors I was able to have a warm drink, wow what a simple blooming wonderful joy it was, why I have never done it before I will never know.
whoof

Re: Simple joy

Post by whoof »

I did a B & B tour of Devon and Cornwall last summer. As all the B&Bs have tea/coffee facilities in the room I'd make a flask of tea put it in my bottle cage and have a cuppa somewhere nice around 11 am.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I keep a small thermos in my pannier or rack pack if I go out for a day ride. One of those leather-clad "Old Guys Rule" flasks, a present from my wife. Works very well - if I take the bike in the car to my start point, I fill the flask using one of those instant coffe sachets and hot water from an even bigger flask at the start of the ride, just to make sure its hot at the outset.

NB for those of you who feel I shouldn't be taking the bike in the car - living in South Birmingham I find I'm knackered by the time I reach the Peak District or the end of the Bristol-Bath cycleway and such places, let alone do the ride and get back for tea! And I'm not allowed to take the direct route to Bristol along the motorway :(
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

whoof wrote:As all the B&Bs have tea/coffee facilities in the room I'd make a flask of tea put it in my bottle cage and have a cuppa somewhere nice around 11 am.

A friend introduced me to this trick last year. At Christmas I asked for and received a Stanley flask which fits in my saddlebag and will be perfect for the job. :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have 4 different sizes of flask :shock:

One fits in a bottle cage, but doesn't hold much. One is a bit bigger, but holds a couple of mugs' worth of tea. The third is enough for two or three stops, or a long day out. The fourth is for sharing :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Patrickpioneer wrote:Yesterday, shopping, I spotted a thermos that would fit my bottle cage and this morning on my morning cold ride on the moors I was able to have a warm drink, wow what a simple blooming wonderful joy it was, why I have never done it before I will never know.

opposite time of year when it is a hot day to have a coooool drink :D
PDQ Mobile

Re: Simple joy : hot drink : thermos flask

Post by PDQ Mobile »

IMHO tea never tastes the same from a flask.it's ok but not like delicious fresh from heated teapot and good water.
It's arguably better if the milk is carried separately.
Perhaps I have missed a trick?

( ps. I have worked with some very ordinary labouring men who were absolute sticklers for good tea!! :wink:
When do you add the milk? )
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Flasks are going out of fashion. I was out with 20 teenagers who were teasing me about my flask of coffee. However, they were impressed when I gave it a shake and produced ‘capuccino’!
PH

Post by PH »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Perhaps I have missed a trick?

Yes - forget the milk altogether and choose decent tea :wink:
PH

Post by PH »

I stopped carrying a flask about a decade ago when I bought a Jetboil, not much heavier and of course you don't have to carry the water all day and can have multiple brew ups :)
fossala

Post by fossala »

PH wrote:

Redbush tea is very nice without milk. It isn't bitter because of less tannins.
PH

Post by PH »

fossala wrote:
PH wrote:

Redbush tea is very nice without milk. It isn't bitter because of less tannins.

Tis one of my favourites and good for a flask as it's still a pleasant drink when it cools.
PH

Post by PH »

For anyone looking for a flask, they are now it seems becoming trendy, possibly led by the Corkcicle
https://corkcicle.com/
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

PDQ Mobile wrote:IMHO tea never tastes the same from a flask.it's ok but not like delicious fresh from heated teapot and good water.
It's arguably better if the milk is carried separately.
Perhaps I have missed a trick?

( ps. I have worked with some very ordinary labouring men who were absolute sticklers for good tea!! :wink:
When do you add the milk? )

I just carry a flask of boiling water with the milk in a small plastic bottle and a couple of tea bags. You will also need a mug to make it in but produces a fine cuppa and your flask stays clean too. On rides of less than 4 hours I take a Lifeventure insulated mug and add tea bag and milk when I stop. Water does cool a bit in this but it's ok for 2-3 hours.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Felt a bit queer when I spotted this :wink:

It appeared in "unread posts" next to one about hydraulic fluid :o
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies