White van man

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: White van man

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:The reality is some folk simply don't like cyclists, they think we have no right on the road and simply get irate when we're in front of them

NAIL,head,on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
kwackers wrote:The reality is some folk simply don't like cyclists, they think we have no right on the road and simply get irate when we're in front of them

NAIL,head,on.

I suspect that this individual's ire is not just reserved for cyclists, but that his munificence is spread rather widely amongst society. To quote, or at least paraphrase the Great Bard Clarkson some say he's just a knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing retard who happens to drive a van rather badly...
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

kwackers wrote:The reality is some folk simply don't like cyclists, they think we have no right on the road and simply get irate when we're in front of them.

But why? That is the question.
Harmless as we are! (And not holding him up)
There has to be some reason? mostly, however small, to target a specific group of road users

To discover that reason would be an advantage to all cyclists.
That's what I am chasing.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
kwackers wrote:The reality is some folk simply don't like cyclists, they think we have no right on the road and simply get irate when we're in front of them.

But why? That is the question.
Harmless as we are! (And not holding him up)
There has to be some reason? mostly, however small, to target a specific group of road users

To discover that reason would be an advantage to all cyclists.
That's what I am chasing.

Bullying,some people enjoy bullying others to boost their own powerless and impotent lives.
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I was thinking about it and it has to be said that stretch through Speke is where I have by far the most problems.

Another video I posted from some years ago (same YouTube channel) shows a guy refusing to yield precedence at a traffic calming 'narrowing' and then turning round and coming after me so he could shout abuse. That was about a mile earlier.

A similar narrowing just a few hundred yards earlier than that had a car overtake several others at speed that had stopped to let me through and narrowly miss me.

There's an island at the end of the dual carriageway I've just turned onto where I almost daily have to deal with people trying to overtake, pull in front of me and slam on.

I've had numerous close passes along there, cars driving across the playing fields and just two days ago and just 100 yards earlier than that junction I had a lorry just barge straight out without looking forcing me to do an emergency stop (again no front camera!).

A bus nearly had me in the hedge once, cars occasionally pull right out to overtake me much to the chigrain of the oncoming traffic I presume they didn't see or didn't care about.

Multiple blind bends and no shortage of overtakes on them too.

On the way back and turning left at that junction I have to turn left from the far right of my lane to avoid being left hooked because for some reason that's almost guaranteed (I definitely don't indicate there, I need them to think I'm going straight on).

Yep, that area is a nightmare. I'm racking my brains but no other stretch of road has ever given me as much grief.
It's about 2 miles long all in, stretches from Hale Village, past the airport and up to the "match factory".

It's not even a busy road! In comparison I leave it and get on the main dual carriageway through Aigburth into Liverpool which is heaving, have to 'take the lane' to avoid pot holes and don't have any issues...

Makes no sense.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe the lack of traffic is a problem, drivers expect to make progress and not lose seconds behind a cyclist, maybe in busier traffic they've accepted they aren't getting anywhere fast.

Are you going to report this to the police? I would say his driving falls way below the standard that I expect. Actually, expect is the wrong word, maybe hope for is better.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Postboxer wrote:Maybe the lack of traffic is a problem, drivers expect to make progress and not lose seconds behind a cyclist, maybe in busier traffic they've accepted they aren't getting anywhere fast.

Are you going to report this to the police? I would say his driving falls way below the standard that I expect. Actually, expect is the wrong word, maybe hope for is better.

Well I dunno about lack of progress in this case.
The driver is very aggressive.
Horn used immediately. Rushes up very close. Prepared to undertake.
I mean there's loads of traffic about, in what way does Kwackers hold him up?

A cyclist hater. IMV
The reason for which is up for debate!!
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Postboxer wrote:Maybe the lack of traffic is a problem, drivers expect to make progress and not lose seconds behind a cyclist, maybe in busier traffic they've accepted they aren't getting anywhere fast.

Well I dunno about lack of progress in this case.
The driver is very aggressive.
Horn used immediately. Rushes up very close. Prepared to undertake.
I mean there's loads of traffic about, in what way does Kwackers hold him up?

A cyclist hater. IMV
The reason for which is up for debate!!

I meant more generally Kwackers finding that road to be worse than the main dual carriageway.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If the police don’t at least identify the driver and ‘have words’ (assuming he isn’t a regular customer - more if he is) then I’d be rather cross with them to say the least...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

[XAP]Bob wrote:If the police don’t at least identify the driver and ‘have words’ (assuming he isn’t a regular customer - more if he is) then I’d be rather cross with them to say the least...

Merseyside police don't have any method for uploading footage (the incident is in Merseyside; I live in Cheshire and they do but I think Cheshire will simply tell me to report it to Merseyside).
So I haven't bothered. Obviously I ride that road all the time and if I have an issue with the same driver again...

I captured some kids vandalising one of the Liverpool City Bikes last year. I'd confronted the kids and they'd become threatening and abusive even taking kicks at my bike when they spotted the camera.
I pulled stills off the video and sent them to Merseyside police along with the video link.
I know they never looked a the video link - the copper even told me he had no way of viewing them.

Unfortunately the kids had been wearing their school uniforms and decided as they sloped away to 'hoodie' themselves up so they wouldn't be recognised!
In the altercation the camera on the bike had been damaged but a couple of weeks later the school principle rang me up, paid for the damaged camera and told me one of the boys was a persistent trouble maker and had been permanently expelled and the other's parents had been horrified and he'd been given a weeks suspension. (It was his parents that paid for the camera).
And despite all that *nobody* viewed the video footage - it was all done based on a couple of stills and my written description.

Also being in Cheshire and the force responsible being in Merseyside I discovered they're not as interested in crossing county boundaries as you might think.
So tbh it all seems like too much of a pita to bother.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Update:
I decided to report it anyway, the idea that he might be "known" prompted me to do it. Even if he isn't then there's no harm in making him "known".

Merseyside's online incident reporting system is archaic (and semi broken) and a pita to use.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Update:
I decided to report it anyway, the idea that he might be "known" prompted me to do it. Even if he isn't then there's no harm in making him "known".

Merseyside's online incident reporting system is archaic (and semi broken) and a pita to use.

Glad you have reports it,at least a word in his ear might make him think twice next time.
As for Merserside police,I hope they're better than Cheshire and GM police forces,who IME couldn't give a monkey's :?
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

reohn2 wrote:Glad you have reports it,at least a word in his ear might make him think twice next time.
As for Merserside police,I hope they're better than Cheshire and GM police forces,who IME couldn't give a monkey's :?

Ditto South Derbyshire, they took no action (as far as I know) even when I reported one of their own for a close pass...
Rusty Rider

Post by Rusty Rider »

I hope nobody takes offence, I read the DM, mostly because its the free online edition and yes there are some utter planks including some of the DM's editorialists. I also drive a car and I have no trouble with 90% of cyclists as they are considerate, but around here we have a lot of club riders who hog the whole road and have no consideration for others, its sort of this road is mine and you shouldn't be here especially when it comes to junctions/roundabouts, where they swarm all down both sides of cars/vans/lorries. Is it a wonder that we aren't popular for some?
Peter
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

If ever you’re looking for an example of a self righteous cyclist try this one
<Edit : link removed because it’s been removed by the cyclist >
Has the audacity to blame ambulance driver for not obeying the Highway Code
Last edited by Paulatic on 22 Jan 2018, 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info